Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: WAVERUNNERING DOWN THE SEA OF CORTEZ
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 03:06 PM
WAVERUNNERING DOWN THE SEA OF CORTEZ

I am planning on a trip from San Felipe to La Paz on waverunners. Maybe 4 to 6 in total, pulling a couple of kayaks or some type of floats for supplies. Hopefully, we will do this sometime next year, month (season) yet to be determined.
We are thinking about the logistics involved and undrstand there will be several hurdles to work on.
So far, we are armed with a Baja Almanac just to see gas availability.
Anyone has suggestions, ideas, experience or could provide guidance or info on previous threads on this same topic?
Thanks Nomads!

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 03:17 PM

Here's a recent thread with some of the same logistics discussed.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=39756#pid4306...

Von
Senior Nomad

Mood: getting ready!

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 04:23 PM

That would be so cool! I have a 2006 RXP seadoo took it once to BOLA it was awesome.

READY SET.....................
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 04:26 PM

We have a pair of Seadoo's that are 4 stroke and hold about 15 gallons each but still only comfortably travel 80-90 miles. You may consider a JetMate Jet ski trailer. I haven't pulled a kayak so not sure how that would do, have you ? Curious...

On Google earth satelite follow the coast from Alfonsinas south to Punta Final, lots of inlets just before the actual point. And a very interesting lagoon with high tide access just south of the point. Amazing coastline, I like to follow it on Google, it's like a mini vacation.

Good luck with your trip, sounds like a blast!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-10-2009 at 05:40 PM

Oh, my aching back.........................you guys must be young bucks.

Consider hiring a true support boat of some type. Split the cost amongst the dudes. This is a one in a lifetime trip. Be willing to spend some bucks on true safety.

I dont think ANYTHING you can pull behind a jet ski is gonna make it in rough seas.

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 12:29 AM

http://asl-insidethegoldmine.blogspot.com/

Shock survey finds a percentage of jet ski enthusiasts to be decent human beings.

A whopping 8 %.

Not passing judgment on Nomad j.s'rs, just passing on a bit or related reading info.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOSARIPES
I am planning on a trip from San Felipe to La Paz on waverunners. Maybe 4 to 6 in total, pulling a couple of kayaks or some type of floats for supplies. Hopefully, we will do this sometime next year, month (season) yet to be determined.
We are thinking about the logistics involved and undrstand there will be several hurdles to work on.
So far, we are armed with a Baja Almanac just to see gas availability.
Anyone has suggestions, ideas, experience or could provide guidance or info on previous threads on this same topic?
Thanks Nomads!

my ears are hurting already.
if you want to do distance quickly and hear nature along the way, and not annoy all of the people enjoying solitude in SOC, then sail. yes, there are fast sailboats, if you want to sail fast, then sail a 14- to 16 foot race boat that planes.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
my ears are hurting already.
if you want to do distance quickly and hear nature along the way, and not annoy all of the people enjoying solitude in SOC, then sail. yes, there are fast sailboats, if you want to sail fast, then sail a 14- to 16 foot race boat that planes.

OR... you could swim.:biggrin::biggrin:

Hook's suggestion is by far the best. Get a support boat. if not only for convenience but also safety.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Consider hiring a true support boat of some type. Split the cost amongst the dudes. This is a one in a lifetime trip. Be willing to spend some bucks on true safety.

That's sage advice. The support boat would provide some great advantages, not the least of which is peace of mind. Sounds like an awesome trip.
LOSARIPES
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 08:44 AM

Thank you all.... we are considering on a pick-up truck as support but it appears it wont do us any good due to lack of accessibility. It appears we will better use a support boat with gas and supplies.... and by the info I am getting, this boat should be self propelled. No towing. Probably a 14 footer...

Would anybody know about detailed maps of the coast?... something like a "Sea of Cortez" Baja Almanac equivalent??

Anyway... just planning is getting to be fun...

Aripes
God bless America
and Baja tambien
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOSARIPES
Thank you all.... we are considering on a pick-up truck as support but it appears it wont do us any good due to lack of accessibility. It appears we will better use a support boat with gas and supplies.... and by the info I am getting, this boat should be self propelled. No towing. Probably a 14 footer...

Would anybody know about detailed maps of the coast?... something like a "Sea of Cortez" Baja Almanac equivalent??

Anyway... just planning is getting to be fun...

Charlie's Charts comes to mind... Scroll down this page to see lots of stuff you may want on board: http://www.pilothousecharts.com/SouthernCali.htm

Charlie's Charts of the Western Coast of Mexico
By Charles E. Wood, updated by Marg
Product No: [CHAMEX2003]
$36.00

Charlie's Charts of the Western Coast of Mexico has been used by over 22,000 cruisers visiting this beautiful and varied coast. It covers the marinas and anchorages from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas, north in the Sea of Cortez to San Felipe and south along the mainland coast to Puerto Madero (the southernmost port in Mexico). The 30-page introduction provides information on topics such as entry procedures, fuel stations, firearms, provisions, money and even Montezuma's Revenge. It includes Janet Steele's Mexico A to Z with many helpful hints for shopping and getting along in Mexico. Features of this edition include a GPS accurate depiction of Bahia Banderas, increased information on facilities in Ensenada, Nuevo Vallarta and Mazatlan. Spectacular photographs shared by various cruisers combined with those taken by the authors provide a colorful Mexican pastiche. Appendices include Maritime Nets, Radio Fax time schedules, Pinniped's GPS Waypoint List, Crew List, Glossary and a list of charts and publications.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:36 AM

Yak's will tip easily when being towed and gas supplys are few and far between also any help in a emergency jmho
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 09:38 AM

Perhaps a better treatement of that stretch is a book by Ed Darack called "Wind-Water-Sun, A solo kayak journey along Baja Califonia's Desert Coastline". The stretch from San Fransisquito to Santa Rosalia is a rough stretch and there are not many places from San Fransisquito to Punta Prieta that you can safely pull in and anchor. A 14 ft boat is a joke for a support boat on this kind of trip. The best support would be a panga that could load up with some supplies, gas, water, beer, etc., As far as season, you would be better off looking at mid-June as you should have reasonably calmer waters, less North winds, warmer water temps.
Supplies and gas can be figured for San Felipe, Bahia de Los Angeles, Santa Rosalia, Mulege, Loreto, and La Paz. Outposts where you might or might not find gas would be Puertocitos, San Luis Gonzaga, San Francisquito, Timbabichi, San Evaristo, and San Jose de la Costa.
A few spare parts might be nice as that time of the year you could ingest some seaweed in to the jets, spark plugs, etc., and about two barrells of sun screen.
For communication, you will probably want one portable marine VHF radio but for comm between skis the walkie-talkie should work fine. As a safety rule I would always have everyone maintain a visual and never let anyone get out of visual contact.
That is a beautiful section of coastline and with a few precautions you should be able to put together a marvelous trip.

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 10:40 AM

Sounds like a great adventure...do your homework though, support boat, do it in the summer and above all take...SAT. PHONE!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 7-11-2009 at 10:46 AM

google "hydrotrailer"

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 07:47 AM

14' is a dingy not a boat.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
A 14 ft boat is a joke for a support boat on this kind of trip.

maybe the joke is in the selection of a support boat? people kayak and sail the entire coastline in boats 16 feet or less, without ever turning on an engine.
it is funny that a trip down the coast on a motor boat is in need of a motorized support boat :lol::lol: the carbon neutral support boat would of course be a sailboat -- in keeping with the speed theme, how about a J/35?
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 08:39 AM

You may want check the rules concernng waverunners and the Loreto marine park. It may change your trip plans.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 08:51 AM

You dont want to poke around slowly on any of the stretch north of Santa Rosalia, mtgoat66. That's why so few sailboats venture north of there. The ones that do are day-sailers, mostly, out of BOLA or SF. Just very few places to take cover. Best to get through the stretch rather quickly.

I agree with Jim that mid June is probably best. But southerlies have probably started by then. You'd likely be sailing into the wind for much of the trip.

I am grinning from ear to ear, thinking of trying to suggest a sailing expedition to a group of jet skiiers, Chivo...............

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2009 at 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook

I am grinning from ear to ear, thinking of trying to suggest a sailing expedition to a group of jet skiiers, Chivo...............

Actually the dead giveaway of the lib mindset was the carbon footprint. I think they had better hurry up and do this trip because at the rate global warming is going, the route will probably be inland at least 2 ot 3 miles from where it was last year.
Maybe I could go run support boat and get a big boat with at least a 2,000 hp turbo diesel to run back and forth. If we are gonna make a "big carbon footprint" might just as well have a good time.

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.