Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: BOISE TO LOS BARRILES
oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 12:42 PM
BOISE TO LOS BARRILES

Needed to take a vehicle down to Los Barriles to leave at the airport for my local transportation during my frequent trips.

Loooooooong drive from Boise to Tecate.... parked on the U.S. side walked over to get visa... two block walk down to Bancomer and paid the $21(approx).. returned and was on my way in less than 25 minutes...

the drive through the "Ruta" was uneventful except for some construction along the way.. they seem to be putting in a center divider for plants or such and there seems to be several kilometers of it planned... very little traffic getting to Ensenada... through Ensenada and immediately south of town the road is under construction for what seems to be several kilometers and it took nearly and hour to clear the zone(evening traffic???)... my little Ford Escape got its first windshield chip(@@%&%)... heading south after that was a breeze all the way to El Rosario(the military stop south of Ensenada searched the entire contents of my car... this was a first) a Federal Police road block was set up about 2-3 kilometers north of El Rosario and they too mad a thorough inspection or my vehicle and contents plus they checked ALL my paperwork... probably a 20 minute stop.. then I had a flat tire right in front of Antonio's Pemex, all I wanted to do was get a room at Baja Cactus and get some sleep(it was about 8:00p.m. and kinda dark).. parked at the motel and the desk clerk called the llantero to fix the flat...9:00pm. he shows up but says the service truck is out and he will be back by 6:00a.m. .. no problem a couple of beers and to sleep I went... phone rings about 6 a.m. and he is there to fix the tire... takes the wheel to the shop and is back in 25 minutes... but I had cut the sidewall pulling into the parking lot and ruined the tire... he had already put on a very good used tire and showed me the cut in the old one... O.K. with me and good initiative on his part... $100 pesos for the service call and $250 pesos for the tire and balancing( a bargain) if you ever need tire help... call the guys and San Borja Llanteros... great service...

left El Rosario by 7:00 a.m. and headed south... the road had been in good condition(except as noted for the construction)... I was comfortable driving about 75-80mph the entire way down... when I got to Mulege I was almost brought to tears because of the destruction.... I left diapers, soap, flashlight batteries, and about 20 pair of shoes I had bought at WalMart in El Centro, CA as a donation... the damage cannot be imagined by looking at the photos on this website... what a pity for all those folks who had so little and have almost nothing left... I could find any taco stands that were open and went to the little store by the entrance and they had very little... bought myself a juice and the last package of potato chips and 6 juice drinks for the military guys that had been following me around... no problem I just get something to eat in Rosario.... nope even more damage and terrible displacement of lives... there was so many service vehicles in town that I couldn't get around and the loss of property was beyond belief... off to Constitution... stayed in a cheesy hotel(El Tesoro) that I would have been better off sleeping in my car.... lots of wind damage here but mostly roofs as most of the houses seemed to have withstood the big winds... every traffice light was bent completely out of position did not see one working traffic signal... the town was full of CFE workers restoring the electrical grid... virtually every cement power pole along the highway had been broken off and they were in process of putting wooden poles in their place.... headed south early and got thru La Paz without making any contact with the local cops and their scholarship fund program....

arrived in little Los Barriles to find that it had essentially escaped any damage from Jemenia... what a relief that my palapa and property were only dusting and the patio had some sand washed in...

I have driven down HWY 1 many times and this trip I don't think I passed a few dozen vehicles... there just weren't any travelers out there.... I drove 80-85mph most of the time(right down the middle of the road).... what was different was that for the first time the military stops( 3 of 6?) searched my entire car and checked my paperwork... this is new... and I was stopped by three Federal Police roadblocks and searche at two of them.... there was gasoline available everywhere and the road was in much better condition that I expected save a few vados that had minimal damage...

no pictures... are you kidding at 80mph I have BOTH hands on the wheel and no beer while driving.....
oldjack
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 12:53 PM

I should have mentioned that this trip was taken begining on the 12th of Sept...
Dianamo
Nomad

Mood: ...still in Baja

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 12:55 PM

So sorry to hear that the Jimena damage is worse than the photos express. I hope the Jimena recovery is going well.

Any ideas about why they are searching vehicles going south? It has always happened going north, but never south.

Minds are like parachutes...they only function when open!

\"The price of apathy is to be ruled by evil men.\" - Plato
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 01:12 PM

To follow up on the last post, what "papers" did they check at the checkpoint south of Maneadero? Are they asking for FMs there?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 01:30 PM

None of this info should be considered gospel, since the checkpoints seem to constantly change their procedures. It wasn't too long ago, for instance that people were reporting huge backups at the checkpoint near San Ignacio. Last time we went through there, Southbound, the only people walking up to vehicles were kids looking for Cruz Roja donations. That said, it would seem to make too much sense for the checkpoint South of Maneadero to ask for vaolid proof of legal presence. Especially since not that long ago, they had an immigration stop in Maneadero.
oldjack
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 01:40 PM

The military guys asked to see my visa and driver's license... the Federal Police aske to see the car registration, my visa , my driver's license and the mexican insurance papers... this is a first for me(over a 30-35yr period) to be checked/inspected heading south
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 02:12 PM

We've been inspected a couple of times headed South over the years. But never asked for any paperwork. Been asked for the car registration a couple of times Northbound, but, believe this, in decades of travelling, NEVER been asked to show FM-T, and that includes at the state line. There has never been any rhyme nor reason. However, it just may be that they are getting more serious. Looking for guns and money Southbound, and drugs Northbound.
oldjack
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 02:29 PM

At the Tecate crossing... the U.S agents did ask me if I was bringing in money and if it was more than $10,000???
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldjack
At the Tecate crossing... the U.S agents did ask me if I was bringing in money and if it was more than $10,000???

This happened on your recent SB trip?

Ken

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Especially since not that long ago, they had an immigration stop in Maneadero.

Actually, it was about four wars ago. Long time gone.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
We've been inspected a couple of times headed South over the years. But never asked for any paperwork. Been asked for the car registration a couple of times Northbound, but, believe this, in decades of travelling, NEVER been asked to show FM-T, and that includes at the state line. There has never been any rhyme nor reason. However, it just may be that they are getting more serious. Looking for guns and money Southbound, and drugs Northbound.

I believe a lot of what has no obvious explanaition is no more than public relations and propaganda. They want the traveling public, mostly North Americans, to feel secure and justified that their money [Merida Initiative] is being well spent. Many of their efforts have nothing to do with inspections. They're more of a performance to make a point.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

Yah, I think it was 1974 when I last saw that place open! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 03:28 PM

Also......The small amount of vehicles that are traveling now so soon after the storm will feel the pinch of inspections even more pronounced now because the inspectors have more time on their hands. Stands to reason. ++C++
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

I seem to recall the immigration trailer being in operation at the previous Maneadero checkpoint location in the early 90's.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
I seem to recall the immigration trailer being in operation at the previous Maneadero checkpoint location in the early 90's.

I don't recall an immigration trailer...ever. My recollection is that they worked out of a small building.
Enlighten me, please.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 04:34 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I don't recall an immigration trailer...ever. My recollection is that they worked out of a small building.
Enlighten me, please.

I remember a gray mobile home sort of thing. This was in the spot where the water park is now. Maybe I'm thinking of the office the army was using?

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Quote:

I seem to recall the immigration trailer being in operation at the previous
Maneadero checkpoint location in the early 90's.

I think there was a trailer that was used by the local PRG goons that manned a checkpoint and always wore mirrored glasses and had shifty attitudes always giving you a hard south and northbound. They finally were replced by the Army, thankfully. Of course that was a long time ago so my memory may be clouded?

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 05:08 PM

Exactly. I really can't believe that it was the mid-70s when they closed that down. But, much like DanO & crazy cat, it was along time ago.

Nevertheless, doesn't seem to be wise for the first checkpoint to be ensuring that folks traveling beyond, have proper documention?

[Edited on 9-22-2009 by Bajahowodd]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 05:20 PM

Oh, it may have been... I was just saying it was (or seemed like) 1974 when I last stopped there to get a tourist card... We drove down to Loreto in 1976, as well... I just don't remember it that time.

In 1983, 1984 and 1985 we drove to Punta San Francisquito, L.A. Bay and/ or Cabo, etc. and I just do not remember stopping there any of those trips... My memory is pretty good when it comes to Baja trips, but if you saw it open in the 90's, then I don't doubt it. They may have closed the office for a few years and re-opened for a few more?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2009 at 06:44 PM

Quizas, amigo.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.