Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Tacos Cantamar
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 04:28 PM
Tacos Cantamar

While getting gas (the automobile kind) at the Cantamar Pemex today, I also got lunch to go from Tacos Cantamar, the stand that is between the Pemex and the lighthouse, next to Ruben's Palm Grill.

They have been here for maybe five years. Great food, consistently good. The kitchen is kept immaculately clean and the food handling is meticulous - everything is visible.

The battered fish and shrimp tacos are prepared to order. The carne asada is grilled over charcoal.

They have fish bouillon (cuahuamata) that locals from Tijuana (thirty plus miles away) drive down to enjoy.

While I was waiting, one guy that was there told the cooks, "Soy chilango". Whether that is a compliment or a boast, or a bit of both, I don't know, but he kept ordering taco after taco and smacking his lips loudly.

If you go, don't forget to ask for the complimentary "cebollitas asado", lightly charcoal grilled green onions - delish!

Sometimes they have "rellenos" - jalapenos stuffed with crab meat.

The family has a restaurant in Puerto Nuevo, Restaurante Sandra's. We haven't tried it yet, but I asked our cocinero at the taco stand today if they served "langosta vive" and he replied with an emphatic, "Si!"

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 04:50 PM

Mi favorito es El Trailero just north on Ensenada-
The place she speaks of is there for the gringos who come down on the week end to race around on ATV's and screw up the sand dunes just south of primo Tapia. No running hot water there either. Stay away! I've heard horror stories on folks getting sick there.
Heres a good tip: next time you fill up there at the Primo Tapia Pemex upon exixing the gas station you'll see this little old guy wearing a cowboy hat selling tamales out of his 1985 grey Grand Marquis. He'll more than likely say; "Tamales, Tamales joven?" if you look in his direction. Buy a half dozen to start youll soon be hooked! My favorites are the rajas con queso( Cheese with bits of jalapeno in the center. They cost 11 peses each but if you buy a dozen he gives you a discount. The masa is real fine and very white, try one next time you fill up.
Now back to El Trailero. It's in a little town named San Miguel just south of the last toll both before Ensenada. Order the "Huarache" it's a thick corn tortilla hand made in the shape of a shoe sole. It has melted Oaxaca chease on top with alot of Carne asada and Guac. If you want those onions she speaks of thier more than happy to accomodate as well as grilled fresh Jalapeno peppers. Try this place it puts all others to shame. You'll see it next time you travel south its the one thats standing room only- all locals.:cool:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 05:06 PM
Mexicorn - Why the Trash Talk?

I have been to "El Trailero" in El Sauzal several times. It's OK and convenient if you are going north or south through the area, but it is nothing to write home about. Also, it's forty miles away from Primo Tapia/Cantamar.

Do you have some kind of financial interest that causes you to run down a good business by posting unsubstantiated rumors and innuendos?

My review/comments are based on direct experience - today and taken from several visits over the years.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
I have been to "El Trailero" in El Sauzal several times. It's OK and convenient if you are going north or south through the area, but it is nothing to write home about. Also, it's forty miles away from Primo Tapia/Cantamar.

Do you have some kind of financial interest that causes you to run down a good business by posting unsubstantiated rumors and innuendos?

My review/comments are based on direct experience - today and taken from several visits over the years.

Whoa hold on a minute conspiracy theorist Jan. I'm just telling you what I know it seems to me your the one with some special interest in that dive. I'm just trying to keep my fellow nomads from a weeks worth of sitting on the toilet with stomach cramps and a fever. No finincial interst here just telling it like it is kiddo;)
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 05:21 PM
IF You Want Crediblity

A) Give specific references, and addresses (email or snail) for people who have got6ten sick before you slander an honest business

B) Also, do a spell check before you post.

Cheers, GJ

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
While getting gas (the automobile kind) at the Cantamar Pemex today, I also got lunch to go from Tacos Cantamar, the stand that is between the Pemex and the lighthouse, next to Ruben's Palm Grill.
They have been here for maybe five years. Great food, consistently good. The kitchen is kept immaculately clean and the food handling is meticulous - everything is visible.
The battered fish and shrimp tacos are prepared to order. The carne asada is grilled over charcoal.
If you go, don't forget to ask for the complimentary "cebollitas asado", lightly charcoal grilled green onions - delish!
Sometimes they have "rellenos" - jalapenos stuffed with crab meat.

Gypsy Jan, I'll agree with you on the taco stand, It all comes down to personal tastes. However, your Ruben revues, I'll disagree with, we have been going to his places the last 4 yrs on and off and never once has the quality been consistent, good one time unedible the next, the same is true for their brunch as well, sometimes hot food, usually cool/cold and rarely set up to start at the posted time.

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-3-2009 at 10:39 PM
got6ten sick

Quote:
A) Give specific references, and addresses (email or snail) for people who have got6ten sick before you slander an honest business

B) Also, do a spell check before you post.

Cheers, GJ

Jan sleep it off and next time use spell check ok?
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
this little old guy wearing a cowboy hat selling tamales out of his 1985 grey Grand Marquis. The masa is real fine and very white, try one next time you fill up.

Bisquick

Quote:

Now back to El Trailero. It's in a little town named San Miguel

El Sauzál
Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 10:40 AM

Tacos Cantamar is great...we have been going there for many years..outstanding food...good prices...I have never, repeat never, heard of anyone getting sick..it's spotless...They have been letting our daughter (now15) help out in the kitchen while helpiong her with her spanish whenever we are there. Mexicorn is wrong....I may not agree with Jan abut Ruebens (inconsistent quality) she is right on about Tacos Cantamar, and most of their customers are mexican locals...We will continue to go there and you should too!!

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Terry28
Tacos Cantamar is great...we have been going there for many years..outstanding food...good prices...I have never, repeat never, heard of anyone getting sick..it's spotless...They have been letting our daughter (now15) help out in the kitchen while helpiong her with her spanish whenever we are there. Mexicorn is wrong....I may not agree with Jan abut Ruebens (inconsistent quality) she is right on about Tacos Cantamar, and most of their customers are mexican locals...We will continue to go there and you should too!!

See you there!!!

bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:

That's good enough for me......I trust Terry 28's review!!!!....will be making that a regular stop on the way to Ensenada

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 10:50 AM

Hey Terry, we will be gong down next week for 10 days..you guys around??

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 11:03 AM

October 29-21 and November 19-28.

Will be in LA next week for the LAFD memorial on Oct 10th

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Quote:

That's good enough for me......I trust Terry 28's review!!!!....will be making that a regular stop on the way to Ensenada

Go for it...
Remember to bring you Pepto and Imodiem if you please..
but dont try to sell everyone else on that mouse infested Tomain palace.... Incidently those are not rasins you see in the corners of the kitchen....
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 12:17 PM

One night after a hard night of drinking I stopped in and this huge Rat with real long whiskers and a chef's hat told me the staff had gone home for the day.

I woke up the next morning with a half eaten torta on my chest and the worst headache.:biggrin:

All kidding aside nomads if your hell bent on eating at that place ask the cook if the have running water much less running hot water.

I have nothing to gain by slamming the place as Jan has written.
I thought we Nomads were supposed to look out for one another not make a buck on ones illness and misfourtune. Whats up Jan did you just purchace that half interest plywood dump or that fleece the gringo restaurant in Puerto Nuevo you speak of?? I know everything tastes better after a couple of vodka's right? ( CHEERS!)
If you dont belive me just ask Jose who works at the Pemex station ( Jan- he's the one in the uniform that says PEMEX on it)or ask the guy who runs the key shop in front of Tacos Cantamar he once got sick there.
Any how I'm growing tired of your unwaivering support for a worthless plywood taco shop in Primo Tapia-
Out
Mexicorn-
PS you should have never sold Cantiles to Doug and Stacy
Big mistake
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 12:28 PM

It's all about what floats your boat. And a little about the luck of the draw. How many Nomads buy tamales out of a cooler from some dude standing on the corner? Likewise, seems to me that there have been a number of posts on this board from people who got sick enough to want to die, after eating in a full-service, brick and mortar restuarant.
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 12:36 PM

Quote:
One night after a hard night of drinking I stopped in and this huge Rat with real long whiskers and a chef's hat told me the staff had gone home for the day. I woke up the next morning with a half eaten torta on my chest and the worst headache.:biggrin:
I have nothing to gain by slamming the place as Jan has written I know everything tastes better after a couple of vodka's right? ( CHEERS!)So we now know why you were really sick!!! hmmmmmmm
Any how I'm growing tired of your unwaivering support for a worthless plywood taco shop in Primo Tapia-Then why are you still reading this thread????
Out
Mexicorn-
PS you should have never sold Cantiles to Doug and Stacy
Big mistake

This has what to do with Tacos Cantamar???????

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 12:45 PM

Quote:
Whats up Jan did you just purchace that half interest plywood dump or that fleece the gringo restaurant in Puerto Nuevo you speak of?? I know everything tastes better after a couple of vodka's right? ( CHEERS!)

I don't think she drinks. If she does, I wanna buy her one. :yes:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 02:34 PM

I have eaten at Tacos Cantamar about 25 times in the last 5 years and taken about 20 different people there and nobody has gotten sick,yet. :smug:

I will drive the 35 minutes to El Trailero from our house just to eat the food. Never gotten sick there either,yet. The views on the scenic road are a bonus! :dudette:

I have been visiting Baja for 49 years. :P

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 02:36 PM

Quote:
Mi favorito es El Trailero just north on Ensenada-
The place she speaks of is there for the gringos who come down on the week end to race around on ATV's and screw up the sand dunes just south of primo Tapia. No running hot water there either. Stay away! I've heard horror stories on folks getting sick there.
Heres a good tip: next time you fill up there at the Primo Tapia Pemex upon exixing the gas station you'll see this little old guy wearing a cowboy hat selling tamales out of his 1985 grey Grand Marquis. He'll more than likely say; "Tamales, Tamales joven?" if you look in his direction. Buy a half dozen to start youll soon be hooked! My favorites are the rajas con queso( Cheese with bits of jalapeno in the center. They cost 11 peses each but if you buy a dozen he gives you a discount. The masa is real fine and very white, try one next time you fill up.
Now back to El Trailero. It's in a little town named San Miguel just south of the last toll both before Ensenada. Order the "Huarache" it's a thick corn tortilla hand made in the shape of a shoe sole. It has melted Oaxaca chease on top with alot of Carne asada and Guac. If you want those onions she speaks of thier more than happy to accomodate as well as grilled fresh Jalapeno peppers. Try this place it puts all others to shame. You'll see it next time you travel south its the one thats standing room only- all locals.:cool:

I will not buy tamales from people unless I can see where they were prepared. I have many friends who have bought them from peole such as you describe and they have gotten sick. :no:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.