Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: No soup for you!
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 12:24 AM
No soup for you!

Quote:

El comedor del Padre Chava ubicado en la avenida Ocampo, le quita el hambre a cientos de personas, este día todo cambio debido a que la comida según mencionaron los voluntarios del comedor fue detenida por agentes aduanales de la garita de Otay.

The Padre Chava food kitchen located on avenida Ocampo feeds hundreds of people, but today everything changed due to the fact that the food being brought by volunteers was stopped by customs agents at the Otay crossing.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 06:01 AM

Heartless #@^%$*&*%$!!!!!!!!
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 08:07 AM

Check that recipe-- is is really oregano and parsley in there?
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-4-2009 at 08:59 AM

Mexican customs agents right? Because I canr see why US CBP would give a dam.
Aduanas? hope I spelled that right or I'll be in trouble!
postholedigger
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2009 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead

Quote:

El comedor del Padre Chava ubicado en la avenida Ocampo, le quita el hambre a cientos de personas, este día todo cambio debido a que la comida según mencionaron los voluntarios del comedor fue detenida por agentes aduanales de la garita de Otay.

The Padre Chava food kitchen located on avenida Ocampo feeds hundreds of people, but today everything changed due to the fact that the food being brought by volunteers was stopped by customs agents at the Otay crossing.

Sounds about right. I've been stopped and turned away at both Otay and San Ysidro when bringing donated food for kitchens like this one.
fishingmako
Nomad

Mood: always up

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 03:24 PM

What is wrong with these people? I just don't get it? We were trying to bring in several truckloads of building supplies for the Slide Victims and the Fire Victims, and we were told you simply can't do that, no wonder People stay like they are.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 03:55 PM

Mako:
That is Mexico>

It might be that they think by keeping the Goods out they are helping the Local Retailer{Who may not have the Products}/
It is just one of the "Mexicano Ways of doing things"

Mexico has resisted change for many years and will keep doing so/ You need to find someone you can pay off with a $100 bucks or so and get you through.

Skeet
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 03:57 PM

Pride?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

mad.gif posted on 10-12-2009 at 04:58 PM

Pride...Yes! Mexico is nationalistic to their own detriment.

Individuals will respond with gratitude, but when considered as an effort to aid the country itself, their national attitude is, "We don't need your help. We can do it ourselves!" Collectively, they feel insulted.

This really hurts. We Americans are known for our generous spirit as we give from our hearts.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Pride...Yes! Mexico is nationalistic to their own detriment.

Individuals will respond with gratitude, but when considered as an effort to aid the country itself, their national attitude is, "We don't need your help. We can do it ourselves!" Collectively, they feel insulted.

This really hurts. We Americans are known for our generous spirit as we give from our hearts.

You got it, Tony. Even when they could use assistance, they repell from it and I appreciate that...in a way.
I have a feeling that when the situation is well studied, they may have a point. It's arrogant and rude that outsiders will walk to the border and tell a country that we have answers they arn't able to figure out for themselves. "We, your saviours, are here to pull your asss out of the mud."
And, that's what they see and get.
On the outset, it's well meant arrogance on our part.

We try to help, in spite of laws and regulations that say our methods are wrong.
On the other hand, what kind of heartless government would turn their back on any effort to help their people that they won't or cant help themselves.
Is it national pride that allows the people to suffer or is it plain tradicional meanness because the government doesn't care, or is it just the ***ing money they may be able to extort from those who want to help.

It's not easy trying to be nice.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 05:57 PM

If you told the customs guys you were importing this stuff to Mexico to sell it and they said you can't do that would you be surprised?

I think not.

So you're expecting them to believe it's for charity? How do they know you're not lying?

Just wondering.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 06:06 PM

Wondering about what?
----------------

Tony. Even when they could use assistance, they repell from it and I appreciate that...in a way.
I have a feeling that when the situation is well studied, they may have a point. It's arrogant and rude that outsiders will walk to the border and tell a country that we have answers they arn't able to figure out for themselves. "We, your saviours, are here to pull your asss out of the mud."
And, that's what they see and get.
On the outset, it's well meant arrogance on our part."
--------------------

What did I say that is in contrast to you inquiry?
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 06:17 PM

fishingmako trying to bring in "several truckloads of building supplies" caused me to wonder.

I don't think there is anything more to folks being told they can't bring stuff in other than it violates their import/export laws unless it's done following some sort of procedure.

Same way going south to north works.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by k-rico
I don't think there is anything more to folks being told they can't bring stuff in other than it violates their import/export laws unless it's done following some sort of procedure.

And, when travelers are told by inspectors while trying to cross with goods for the less fortunate that Mexico has no poor people and doesn't need their charity......that's a reflection of import/export law?
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 10:11 PM

Quote:
fishingmako trying to bring in "several truckloads of building supplies" caused me to wonder.

Same way going south to north works.

There are photos and eyewitness stories of the dire need, and relief organizations have issued letters requesting that these donated goods be allowed to pass freely.

It is not the same going south to north. K-rico is stuck on inflexible enforcement of importation tax laws. That is fine, but humanitarian relief is a different issue for which the tax laws should be excepted.It is a matter of the heart.

Given the appearance of relief goods being transported, coupled with the advent of a well known disaster, it's purpose is pretty obvious. Humanitarian drives ought to be accepted graciously by government officials throughout the world. It is a universal cause and it is the right thing to do.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-12-2009 at 10:46 PM

Tony....You're dreaming.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

And, when travelers are told by inspectors while trying to cross with goods for the less fortunate that Mexico has no poor people and doesn't need their charity......that's a reflection of import/export law?

If that was said by some customs guy working the border it could be that was his personal opinion not Government policy. And it would poor Government policy to allow agents to make on the spot decisions as to when to enforce the laws and when not to based upon the claim that the goods are for charity.

There are plenty of ways to give to Mexican charities and get a US tax break too.

Buy a $2000 worth of food in Mexico and try to take it to San Diego saying you're going to give it to the San Diego food bank that feeds the homeless people sleeping on the city streets and see what happens. I bet the US customs agents say no or at least make you pay import duties. And can you imagine if a Mexican tried to do that, not that they would, but if so they would probably arrest the person for some strange reason. "come on, the US doesn't need any help from $&&%^&$ mexicans"

This is in response to Tony's comments too.

[Edited on 10-13-2009 by k-rico]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 08:13 AM

Quote:
And it would poor Government policy to allow agents to make on the spot decisions as to when to enforce the laws and when not to based upon the claim that the goods are for charity.

I understand what you're saying and I have to accept their method. Their only job is to control what goods cross the line and impose duty when required. It works in both directions.
It's unfortunate that the needy have to be penalized for this but, that's the way it is.

Tell us how one can make a donation of goods, not money, in Mexico and get a tax write-off from the states. I would imagine a dollar donation to the International Red Cross would work for this.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Tony....You're dreaming.

Yep! That's who I am. :yes:

During my lifetime I have successfully implemented many dreams. While I am aware of bureaucratic practice, I resist injustices that counter my heart's path.

I do see the reality of this situation (foreign emergency aid being taxed), but I don't have to accept it. If I find a door closed, I push harder to open another.

Question Authority!:smug:

Edited by "dreamer" to add: You don't have to be mired in the soup to like it. I like soup!;D

[Edited on 10-13-2009 by toneart]

k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2009 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Quote:
And it would poor Government policy to allow agents to make on the spot decisions as to when to enforce the laws and when not to based upon the claim that the goods are for charity.

Tell us how one can make a donation of goods, not money, in Mexico and get a tax write-off from the states. I would imagine a dollar donation to the International Red Cross would work for this.

I don't know, perhaps an American charity can get goods across for Mexican charities. My posts were in response to negative comments like these in this thread that slam Mexico and its people:

----------------------------------------------------------------

Heartless #@^%$*&*%$!!!!!!!!

What is wrong with these people? I just don't get it?

no wonder People stay like they are.

That is Mexico

Mexicano Ways of doing things

Mexico has resisted change for many years and will keep doing so

their national attitude is, "We don't need your help. We can do it ourselves"

what kind of heartless government

---------------------------------------------------------------

Comments made by charitable people???????

Don't forget, I'm the sole gringo in the Tijuana Booster Club. Too bad there aren't more. The lousy attitude many Americans have towards Mexico is doing more damage than any hurricane does.

[Edited on 10-13-2009 by k-rico]
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.