Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: WON/Gene
wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 10:13 AM
WON/Gene

Robin Wade here-Western Outdoor News (WON). I took over Gene's position when he quit. He was a paid employee, as am I. I have been with WON for almost 15 years, covering the Nor Cal portion of WON while I worked for DFG.

I moved here before Gene quit (EC) due to differences in goals with DFG. Once WON got their act together to go online-it was a conflict of interest and Gene chose to leave.

Years ago when readers/sources gave reports they were submitted to WON, printed in the paper and then Gene had the wonderful brainstorm to make the WON reader reports available online as well and added the additional info/photos that WON could not include due to limited space. Over the years his site grew as charters took advantage of the online opportunities but it was a given that the reports would also be published in the paper. Since his departure, that has not been the case.

I know I have big shoes to fill and hope to earn/live up to your expectations and needs. My reports are as fresh as I can possibly provide each week and I am very proud of that! Out of respect to Gene, I accepted his deadline as mine, and anglers sent reports to both of us on Thursdays but I give sources until as late as the weekend (Sat. night) so we'd have the most current info. Then I compile them and on Sunday nights hit the send button as late as 3 a.m. My stuff is posted the next day (Monday) at Wonews.com. Gene's expertise and site are still a great resource, and he can post ALL of your photos. I am limited to 4-5 each week.

If you are interested in "giving me a chance," or sending reports to me/WON, I would love to include you and expand my coverage for both Baja and Mexico. Both are experiencing very hard times and it is one of my goals to support these communities as well as angler needs, and conservation issues/efforts. Outreach and education are my passion!

Times they are a changin'- cause yes, I have to admit-worse on top of worse-I am a woman!

Sorry for the long post. I can be reached at baja@wonews.com Fridays – Sundays (at least) and look forward to any and all communications!

Robin Wade
WON Baja/Mexico Editor
Western Outdoor News
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 10:16 AM

i love women!:P

good luck Robin.

wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 10:21 AM

Even when we out fish you?:lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 10:34 AM

Thank you Robin for sharing this with us, and a big welcome to Baja Nomad. Although I am not the fishing fool my dad was (reading Ray Cannon and Tom Miller in WON), I am interested in seeing your reports and wish you well!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 10:44 AM

We'll look forward to your reports, were heading to Baja in December for a month or so of fishing up and down the peninsula so maybe we'll send a few reports to you.
And just for the record one of my best fishing partners is my wife she's an excellent fisher person but I will say my ego gets in the way and I usually have to catch the biggest fish and if not I chalk it up to her guide, ME!:biggrin:

[Edited on 10-10-2009 by castaway$]

[Edited on 10-10-2009 by castaway$]

Live Indubiously!
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 12:56 PM

Robin,

Did the connection in Bahia de Los Angeles ever work out? I'm just curious as I haven't seen Bahia in the paper lately.

Thanks and Saludos!

Paulina

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 04:01 PM

awe geezo amiga...ya blew your cover!!! Really nice to see you on this board...welcome to the fray!...
ps...slayed tuna out in front of Asuncion Island today and YT moved to san roque...how's that for hot news!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 05:18 PM

1) Couldn't ever get the stupid phone thing worked out for Bahia de Los Angeles

2) And yes, Shari-had to come out of the closet.
Wasn't looking for "attention" when I wrote those "Baja needs our help" or "Over-fishing for dodos" stuff but the Gene thing got to me, like he was "all there was." I'm here for you my darlings, been here for over a year. :P

3) Shari-if you post that stuff here-it's not a scoop! LOL.
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 06:01 PM

Good luck Robin! I use to give fish reports to Fred Hoctor when we had coffee in the morning but I guess email will do just fine.
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 06:12 PM

robin..you'll do great....yeah, big shoes to fill, yer right..but you wouldn't take the job unless you thought you could do it...yer fine....gene is a dear friend and we communicate often...i am sure you have his full support...he leaves a legacy, not only with his time at won but his achievements beyond that...i still turn into a sissy everytime i read "king of the moon"..really...kick butt, kiddo!
Beachgirl
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 06:21 PM

oops, using beachgirls signin...this is mulegemichael...but i still get weepy with the "king"..
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-10-2009 at 10:49 PM

dontwadeinthewater......

stay away from the "mean" high tide line, hermanita! the sand crabs will have their way with your "SHORT" and curly's.

Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 07:35 AM

Hey Robin, I checked out WON's site and I can't get the Baja reports. The list ends halfway through the southern California reports; it looks like the list of reports should scroll but it doesn't. Could be a compatibility problem. I use a MAC and neither Safari or Firefox can get the reports.

You might want to give the website guys a shout if the problem persists?

wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 08:40 AM

Won't commet on how the site's set up but can tell you that if you miss the report early in the week when it's featured, you can scroll down the list and hit "see all local reports." That should do it or put Baja in the search box.

They are STILLL working on the format of the site.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 09:45 AM

Welcome to Nomads! Looking forward to your reports

In Memory of E-57
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeinthewater
Gene quit (EC) due to differences in goals with DFG. Once WON got their act together to go online-it was a conflict of interest and Gene chose to leave.

I wasn't aware that Gene's website was financially profitable. It looks as that was the long-term payoff for writing the 'Baja Catch' with Kelly.

Good luck on your new assignment, Robin.
wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 11:41 AM

I don't know the "details" as I stay out of the politics, in fact I've never had the opportunity to meet Gene. I'm grateful for the opportunity and faith the paper has shown in me, that's all I DO know.

I only stepped forward to share with you folks that there are "other report options," based on a previous thread here regarding Gene and his change in format. Gene and I shared a lot of sources and you can still read their weekly updates in WON. And now I'm done. Got a report to write.

Thank you all for your kind support. As I said before, I am here if you ever need or want to be in touch.
bajalorena
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 05:10 PM

Hey, Robin. We are back from a "vacation" in the states, John is getting the BuenaVida ready to launch, and should have some reports for you soon.
Lorraine Torres :yes:
bajamikey
Nomad

Mood: baja with a cold pacifico

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 05:37 PM

Robin.,great job. now when do we get to see your picture in WON NEWS
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-11-2009 at 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Don Alley
Hey Robin, I checked out WON's site and I can't get the Baja reports. The list ends halfway through the southern California reports; it looks like the list of reports should scroll but it doesn't. Could be a compatibility problem. I use a MAC and neither Safari or Firefox can get the reports.

You might want to give the website guys a shout if the problem persists?

Don..
Check this link to see if it works ..
http://www.wonews.com/t-BajaReport_robin_wade_1005009.aspx

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.