Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: ? Regarding limits
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 01:30 PM
? Regarding limits

How many folks need to be on the boat for a catch of 40 tuna and 12 yellowtail?

I think 8: 10 total w/ no more than 5 of any one species? Right? (I know that billfish and dorado count as more than one depending on the fish.)

Is it 'OK' to count the captain and deck hand in the total? By 'OK', I mean legal. Whether or not it's the right thing to do I'll leave alone.

Do the sportfishing limits apply to Mexican citizens also?

I'm not being picky, just curious.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 01:40 PM

Very good question. Here's my take > need 8 fishermen for the tuna (5 of one species) and 3 for the yellowtail (same count - 5, 5 and 2). As far as I know the crew, if it's a charter, can't catch or keep fish, are not in the count. It does not matter about the citizenry of the fishermen -- in the boat, fishing, in the count and must be licensed.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 01:45 PM

Whether the crew count as fisherpeople may be more a function of local custom than law. Of course, as Osprey notes, they must be licensed, and few seem to be. But then, maybe local custom covers that, too.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 03:08 PM

"In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, per angler with no more than five catches of a single specie, (with the exception) of: the species of marlin, sailfish, swordfish and shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which count as five toward the overall 10 fish limit. Two dorado, roosterfish, shad, or tarpon, count as five each for an overall 10 fish limit. In other words, if you catch 1 marlin (5 points) and 1 dorado (5 points), you have reached your limit for the day. Two dorado means you're done. One roosterfish plus 1 dorado – done. You might be better off taking 1 dorado plus 5 tuna."

Pat of a story I did not too long ago. Captains and crew must have lic. but they can not be added to anglers catch, though the like a good tip and usually do.

I get photos all the time of 2 anglers and way overlinits because the captains tell them it's okay.
BajaDanD
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 06:54 PM

Its 2 dorado + 5 tuna or 2 dorado and 1 marlin
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 07:01 PM

http://tailhunter-international.com/uploaded_images/Tuna-Leo...

can someone post this picture and tell me if the limit is correct.:lol::lol:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 07:02 PM

Did the guy mean catch and release?

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2009 at 08:44 PM

Here's the pic.

Tuna-Leo-and-Paul-tags-792361.jpg - 48kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 06:39 AM

playing...er fishing by the rules is tricky...especially when the rules arent entirely clear and you get differing answers when you ask even fisheries officials.
The difficult part is that if one charter operator DOES adhere to all the regs and gets all the permits...and the competition doesnt....well....clients soon figure out they can take home more fish and dont have to pay for reserve permits with the competition...and so the "good guy" loses business....dang!
any suggestions/comments nomads????

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 07:03 AM

I think the best you can do is play fair, let the world know about it and the real sportsmen will find you. It is my belief they outnumber the scofflaws at least 10 to one. Just make sure that when the bad guys get caught and fined you let the fishing world know about that too. God bless the internet.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeinthewater
In other words, if you catch 1 marlin (5 points) and 1 dorado (5 points), you have reached your limit for the day. Two dorado means you're done. One roosterfish plus 1 dorado – done.

There are certainly gray areas in the sport fishing regulations, but the conclusions in these three hypotheticals are clearly wrong.
As BajaDan more gently pointed out, if you catch and keep 1 marlin and 1 dorado you can keep another dorado and still be legal.
If you catch and keep 2 dorado you are not "done", but can also catch and keep 1 billfish or shark, 2 roosters, shad or tarpon, or 5 of any other species of which the daily limit is 5.
If you have 1 rooster and 1 dorado in the boat you can catch and keep one more of each and still be within your limit.
What is not so clear is how you can mix and match more than 2 species with different limits. For example, how many yellowfin could be legally kept along with a billfish and a dorado?
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 09:07 AM

great discussion.

Bia and i will be :biggrin: with 2 dorado and 5 YFT each!!!!!!

T-MINUS 4 days.........

wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 10:09 AM

Thanks Bill for the correction. I actually showed that article to 3 different people "in the know" and was told it was correct before I ran it. And this IS a wonderful topic and one I have tried to engage my readers in for awhile.

If you see photos of overlimits and don't question it, you are part of the problem, in my opinion. There is one very popular fishing site where anglers boast about numbers and others respond with congrads.

It truely is diffucult to get copy and photos correct sometimes. I have sent a notice to all of my sources saying that fish, numbers, and anglers must match. In some cases they just say "sorry" got lazy with writing you all of the names, didn't have all of the other anglers names etc. While one tried to say both the Capt. and mate had permits and contributed (NOT okay and I called him on it.)

Personally, I will continue to better educate myself and my readers, understand these gray areas and share with my readers what and where I screw up as well as others.

And Shari is right. Playing by the rules down here gets you short changed and in trouble:(
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Here's the pic.
I assume that their friend who took the photo was the third angler on the boat.

In Memory of E-57
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 12:01 PM

or a girlfriend, or the boat capt, or a bandito, or a self portrait or.........

wadeinthewater
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 12:05 PM

There were 3 on the boat and the third took the photo. The inspector is on that beach almost every day.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 01:21 PM

I've never thought much about this as I generally only keep a few fish to eat that day, if any. Not saying I'm better than anyone else, just my preference.
I noticed on another board where someone fishing out of La Boccana had a good bite that day and they had 40 tuna and 12 yellowtail vacuum-packed and on ice by 2:00pm.
Now, maybe I jumped to conclusions and they were talking about the fleet's catch that day or maybe 3 or 4 buddy boats - but I didn't get that feeling from the report.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 02:05 PM

uh oh, I may have goofed. The post on BD I was referring to has been changed: they caught 40 tuna and 12 yellowtail but only kept 6. I stand corrected, if not somewhat incredulous.....
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 04:06 PM

bill....I dont see how you can keep more than one dorado and one rooster...each of those fish count for 5 fish each so with 2 dorado...or a dorado and 1 roosterfish...that adds up to 10 fish so you are done. You are ALLOWED 2 dorado but they would add up to 10 fish. If our clients want to keep a dorado, then they can only get 5 more fish...tuna or yellowtail, calico etc.
here are the regulations....

FISHING REGULATIONS
Baja California Peninsula - Mexico

In order to operate a boat that carries fishing equipment in Mexican waters, it is necessary to hold a personal fishing licenses for everybody aboard the boat, regardless of age and whether fishing or not. A Fishing License is not required when fishing from land. This includes kayaks and canoes.
-- Only one rod or line with hook is permitted in the water, per person, but there is no restriction regarding the number of replacement items.
-- This fishing license allows to capture only fin fish. It does not allow capturing any mollusks or crustaceans, and their capture by anyone is strictly prohibited. Totuava, turtles and marine mammals are under protection of the Ministry and my not be captured at any time.
-- To capture bottom fish, up to four hooks on a vertical line may be used.
-- The use of electric reels is restricted to disabled fishermen only, after written authorization for the Ministry before use.

BAG AND POSSESSION LIMITS

In ocean waters and estuaries the limit is a total of ten fish per day, with no more than 5 catches of a single specie, except of the species of Marlin, Sailfish, Swordfish and Shark, of which only one specimen of either is allowed, and which counts a five toward the overall 10 fish limit, or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count a five toward the overall 10 fish limit.***
if you catch 1 marlin (5 points) and 1 dorado (5 points), you have reached your limit for the day or 2 dorado; 1 dorado plus 5 miscellaneous species; or, 1 roosterfish plus 1 dorado
Limit on inland bodies of water (rivers, lakes, dams, etc.) is five fish per day, whether of a single specie or in combination.
Underwater fishing is limited to five fish per day, using rubber band or spring type harpoons, and only while skin-diving.
There is no limit to the practice of "catch and release," as long as the fish that exceed the bag limit be returned to their environment in good survival condition.

VIOLATIONS
-- It is illegal to capture and maintain alive any fish or ornamental purposes.
-- It is prohibited to receive any financial gain from the product obtained through sportfishing.
-- It is prohibited to dump trash, litter or substances that harm the aquatic flora or fauna, whether on lakes, river banks, shores, or oceanic waters.
-- It is prohibited to collect shells, corals, sea anemones and snails, or to disturb the original ecosystem environment.
-- It is prohibited to practice sport fishing 250 meters or less from swimmers.
-- It is prohibited to use artificial lighting to attract large quantities of fish.
-- It is prohibited to discharge firearms in Mexican waters.
-- Fish caught under a sport fishing license may not be filleted aboard the vessel from which it was caught.
-- It is requested that all unusual activities, occurrences or record catches be reported to the nearest office of the Oficina de Pesca, or to its representation in San Diego, CA, in order to ensure the preservation of the natural resources for the continued enjoyment of all fishermen.
Any non-resident alien 16 years or older must possess a valid Mexican Sport fishing License before fishing in Mexican waters. This license covers all types of fishing and is valid anywhere in Mexico. Everyone aboard private boats in Mexican waters must have a fishing license if there is fishing gear of any kind, or fish, or fish parts on board. Licenses for people fishing on commercial sport fishing boats are normally provided by the boat operators. A fishing license is also required for underwater fishing. Fishing licenses are issued for periods of one week, one month, and one year, effective at 12:01 am on the starting date specified on the license application. The prices for Mexican fishing licenses are as follows:

Except when skin or scuba diving, fish must be taken by angling with a hand-held line or a line attached to a rod. The use of nets (except handling nets), traps, poisons, or explosives is strictly prohibited. Skin and scuba divers may only fish with hand-held spears or band-powered spearguns. It is illegal to sell, trade, or exchange the fish caught. Fish can be eviscerated and filleted, but a patch of skin must be left to permit identification.
The taking of abalone, lobster, shrimp, pismo clams, totuava, oysters, and sea turtles is prohibited by Mexican law. Anyone wishing to purchase any of these species to take into the United States must first obtain a form from the Mexican Government Fish Commission; only the Oficinas de Pesca located within Mexico provides this form.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2009 at 04:45 PM

or Dorado, Roosterfish, Shad, or Tarpon, of which only two samples of each specie are allowed, and which count a five EACH? toward the overall 10 fish limit.***

2 dorado = 5 points, right?

if you catch 1 marlin (5 points) and 1 dorado (5 points), you have reached your limit for the day or 2 dorado;

2 dorado = limit?

complete ambiguity = mexico!

[Edited on 10-25-2009 by woody in ob]

[Edited on 10-25-2009 by woody in ob]

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.