Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Annual Baja Loop Trip
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 03:49 PM
Annual Baja Loop Trip

Trip report from my annual loop trip to Gonzaga Bay. Traveled with my dog only this year.

See the photos at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/44305829@N07/

Photos are in backward so you need to start looking at page 5. Also not I shot 2 videos on the wild ride on the fishing trip.

Day 1: San Diego to Puerticitos (via Mexicali)

Total drive time about 5.5 hours. Road in very good condition all the way except for the “vados” on the San Felipe – Puerticitos run. Watch out as they sneak up on you and will certainly cause you to bottom out if your speed is in the 50 to 60 MPH range.

Stopped for camping at Playa Destiny. Price was expensive ($15 per night) but it did include all the firewood I could handle which was good because it cooled down into the high 40’s that night. This spot is about 5 miles north of Puerticitos. The man who keeps the place keeps it very clean. Bathrooms but no showers. I was the only guest this night.

Traveling with my new tricked out Tacoma (see the photos). Used the BEDZ inflatable mattress which was GREAT!! Very easy to set up and very comfortable. Cost me about $70 delivered. Racks on the top handled my windsurfer without any trouble.

I also purchased a SPOT messenger system to allow my wife to track my progress (she loved it). Works on the Globalstar system: http://findmespot.com/en/

Traveled with my XMRADIO as well which gets full coverage throughout Baja …. although many would say why? I just enjoy getting my news as I travel.

Day 2: to Gonzaga

Good news for the Baja purists: this road is still in terrible condition. The pavement now runs about 10 miles south of Puerticitos … but after that it is pure hell through the mountains. I think it is actually worse than before from the pounding of the construction vehicles. Here are some observations:

1) This road is wide with at least a 6 to 8 foot shoulder.
2) Workers are working 7 days per week and are working on several sections at a time.
3) Lots of Caterpillar equipment … overall operation seems very impressive.
4) I did not observe anyone sitting around as I see on most Mexican government projects … everybody seems to be working.
5) I talked with one guy who expects them to be through the mountains in 4 months. He was one of the workers and said he is being paid USD$300 per week and came from Mexico City for the work.

I am actually looking forward to when they get through the roughest part (and wish they would stop there to keep the non-purists away).

I passed no one on the 40 mile trip to Gonzaga.

1 military checkpoint just before Gonzaga … nice guys. They wanted to play catch with my dog (Rusty) … see the photos.

I made the jaunt to Gonzaga in about 4 hours … and promptly got my car stuck in the sand near the airstrip at Alfonsinas. I aired down and tried to dig myself out … no success … so on to Alfonsina’s where Antonio got 2 of his guys (Mundo and Miguel) to pull me out (150 Peso tip).

Went for a quick swim to get the dirt out and then lunch at Alfonsinas (Shrimp with garlic was SUPER … make sure to get it with the shells on). After talking with a couple of guys I decided against camping (they said the wind hit 30 to 50 MPH a few nights before. So I stayed at Alfonsinas ($50 per night).

Took my windsurfer out for a little play time. This was Rusty’s first time to Baja. She climbed right on the board with me!

Day 3: Gonzaga.

Arranged for a fishing trip with Mundo and Miguel (same guys who saved me on day 2). I had no pole, just my spear gun. The wind was brutal outside Alfonsinas … we traveled over to Punta Final, but it was a waster. The visibility was about 10 feet at best. After about 30 minutes in the water with no results, Mundo and Miguel were waving at me franticly to get back to the boat “GRANDE TIBURON”. Needless to say, I hustled back to the boat with the sound of Jaws in my head. After I got in the boat with drpve around and saw the shark. It looked like a whale shark to me, but Mundo insisted it was not (I think he just wanted to get back to Alfonsinas). So back we went.

Did some more spearfishing in the calm of the bay near Alfonsinas.

Mundo did some diving (on-board compressor) for scallops. I speared a couple of small ones, and Mundo got a few kilos of scallops. I had one of them raw … but I really do not like Baja scallops that much … maybe I need someone to prepare them who knows what they are doing.

Finished up about noon … then a siesta and another great lunch.

Decided to investigate the malecon at Rancho Grande. Sure enough, they are building a malecon (see the photos). Only the wall is partially built now. I think they are preparing for a full scale development a few years down the road. In the meantime, the camping area has been ruined (IMHO).

On the good news side the Rancho Grande mini-market has been upgraded (see the photos).

More windsurfing and paddleboarding then the sunset. Started a fire in front of Alfonsinas and sipped a few beers with total relaxation.

Day 4: Gonzaga and return

After a morning of paddleboarding, I left around 11:30. I decided to go back the same way as I believe this is definitely a shorter route for me … so this is no longer a “loop trip”. Trip back was around 8.5 hours with 25 minutes at the Mexicali boarder crossing (Sentri line)
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 05:12 PM

I tried to look at your pictures, but it said page not found. Could be me, I'm sometimes blond!:biggrin:

Never mind I got it to work, those are some nice pictures, looks like you and your dog had a good time!

[Edited on 11-4-2009 by Bajagypsy]

Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 05:16 PM

Page not found...
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 05:24 PM

Maybe he really didn't go.:o
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 05:25 PM

You have to copy and paste the link, he forgot to add the last five characters in the link

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajagypsy
You have to copy and paste the link, he forgot to add the last five characters in the link

Here is the link to the last page (4) and then progess to 3, 2, 1. : Gonzaga Trip

GREAT trip report and photos... Neat Golden Retreiver... I used to have one... great dogs!

[Edited on 11-4-2009 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 11-3-2009 at 06:49 PM

Really enjoyed that preston, both the photos and the report. Sweet puppy!
++Ken++

carpe diem!
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2009 at 08:19 AM

Loved the pixs. Excellent report, thanks for sharing.
preston
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2009 at 09:19 AM

David:

Thanks for stepping in and pointing people in the right direction. When I copied and pasted the link the last few digits were not in the hot link from my posting.

The photos of Mundo and Miguel in front of their "jeep" was from my return trip. They traveled with me for part of the way to San Felipe IN THAT VEHICLE!! True Mexicanos!! Their vehicle overheated after about 10 miles and they had no water .... luckily I was right with them.

And luckily they were close to me 3 days earlier to pull me out of the sand.

Great people!!!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.