BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: OFF ROAD RACING POLL for all Nomads
I am/was a racer, or on a pit team. --- 28 (29.47%)
Love the sport to watch. --- 18 (18.95%)
Not big fan, but appreciate benefits. --- 11 (11.58%)
Take it or leave it (neutral). --- 15 (15.79%)
I would prefer it not to happen. --- 9 (9.47%)
It is a criminal act against Nature! --- 14 (14.74%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: OFF ROAD RACING POLL for all Nomads
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

shocked.gif posted on 11-18-2009 at 06:32 PM
OFF ROAD RACING POLL for all Nomads

With the 42nd annual running of the Baja 1000 off road race this week... and the obvious popularity the sport has in Baja... and the great financial benefit the race has...

What is your opinion?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 06:49 PM

But why the poll. trying for more controversy and posts?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by norte
But why the poll. trying for more controversy and posts?

Well, there goes your controversy and here comes some more posts ! :P :lol:
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 09:16 PM

I was an off road racer. The operative word there is WAS. I voted that truth, but I have been unlucky enough to be running against the flow going home from La Paz. I don't know how it can ever come to pass that the racers going home were rested, not hungover, and not driving at "raceface" speed pulling those wideazz trailers. I think I remember that four racers died on the way home that year. This puts innocent people at risk. I realize that there are bone deep traditions for racing in Baja. But, I think that the racers would have to agree that part of the allure of racing Baja is that there just isn't anyplace in the US that would allow any comparable thing. Should we wish any lesser protections for the Mexican people, and their land? I'd feel a little better with some good info. about economic benefits for the people. This should be an interesting discussion.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 11-18-2009 at 09:24 PM

I race strictly closed course motocross. But I have alot of respect for the Baja1000 racers.
I do try to avoid Baja when there is a race. Only because of traffic and crowds.
Someday I might camp out along the course and party. Might be fun.:cool:

[Edited on 11-19-2009 by fishbuck]

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I realize that there are bone deep traditions for racing in Baja. But, I think that the racers would have to agree that part of the allure of racing Baja is that there just isn't anyplace in the US that would allow any comparable thing. ...

??? Perry, there are many off road races in the US. I would think if you were a racer, you should know this?

Score has a race in Nevada, BITD has all their races in the US, so does MDR...

The Vegas to Reno off road 3 day off road race was recenlty run (America's longest off road race),

The Mint 400 was brought back, as well,

Races are run in Primm...

Laughlin has races,

Henderson, too,

Lucerne Valley, CA...

Plaster City (east of San Diego)...

Just way too many desert races to name.

It all started with the Baja run and the first organized race, the 1967 Mexican 1000.

This year's 1000 stays in Baja Norte, starting and ending in Ensenada.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 08:59 AM

Having lived many years in Guerrero Negro, i have seen how the city really appreciated the baja 1000 race for economic reasons...it is a real boom to the economy when it goes through there.
I believe this weekend is the Mulege 500 as well...we saw some trophy trucks and dirt bikes prerunning the course which goes right by our secret beach.....sheesh....I kept having to put my bikini back on!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I am curious as to the great financial benefit. After costs and mitigation how much ends up in the locals hands. ...

All the racers, pit teams, spectators do one or more of the following which benefits the people of Baja: eat food, drink, buy fuel, stay at hotels, use campgrounds, have repairs made, buy insurance, etc.. It is a huge business boost, huge!

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vgabndo
I was an off road racer. The operative word there is WAS. I voted that truth, but I have been unlucky enough to be running against the flow going home from La Paz. I don't know how it can ever come to pass that the racers going home were rested, not hungover, and not driving at "raceface" speed pulling those wideazz trailers. I think I remember that four racers died on the way home that year. This puts innocent people at risk. I realize that there are bone deep traditions for racing in Baja. But, I think that the racers would have to agree that part of the allure of racing Baja is that there just isn't anyplace in the US that would allow any comparable thing. Should we wish any lesser protections for the Mexican people, and their land? I'd feel a little better with some good info. about economic benefits for the people. This should be an interesting discussion.

Some races in the US have been stopped for positive environmental reasons---some still exist. Just as some areas have been closed completely to off road activity, which keeps the destruction to the land more contained in limited areas.

It would be interesting to see ACTUAL figures on the financial impact, etc., especially from the Mexican point of view. And ACTUAL figures as to who really benefits financially. It is often easy to say an entire community benefits when only a very select few benefit.

I do know many locals who love the races, and others who hate what it does to the environment---divided, just as it is here.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 09:43 AM

looking forward to following my teams on line tomorrow.
i will chase via findmespot and others.

go DP Racing!!!!!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 10:29 AM

In San Felipe a lot of the local businesses benefit from the races. Even the 100 which just passes through. Pre-runners have been in town for a couple weeks, staying at local motels and campgrounds, eating in a variety of restaurants, getting vehicles repaired at local shops, groceries and beer at the local stores - about everything in tow except the elect company.

The Score races are really controlled course races - not the old "cross country wherever you can" type. Marked course that must be followed or be penalized.

The 250 that starts and ends her really picks up the local economy.

They also welcome the CODE races. More Mexican participants so less motel usage but still restaurants etc get a boost. The Mexicali-San Felipe race will be about Dec 5th I think.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalou

The Score races are really controlled course races - not the old "cross country wherever you can" type. Marked course that must be followed or be penalized.

That is a good thing

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 01:58 PM

Quote:

If there are problems, and I'm sure there are some, it's probably the fans, spectators and groupies who cause most of them.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 02:04 PM

What about the sandhill crane at San Felipe that hasn't laid an egg in 3 years?

Huh? What about her?

You heartless people.

Talk about constipation .... :(:(
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 03:41 PM

David, you seem to have missed this part..."anyplace in the US that would allow any comparable thing". I don't believe that any of the US races you cited are run on the same roads the locals have to use. Are the local's roads in better condition after a race? I can't imagine they could be. Do you think for a second that IF racers were allowed to use the public roads in the US that they wouldn't be required to repair them.

Of course there are still races held on public ground in the US but I believe it is true that there are VERY few other uses of these public lands that are compatible with off road races. Increasingly, the citizens are asking that their pristine desert lands be protected. Personally I think that everyone has the right to be free of the "excitement" of approaching a hill top only to be met by an 800 HP 4x4 half sideways, five feet off the ground at 135 MPH. "Hey Sluggo, can't you see we're PreRunning here?"

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:

If there are problems, and I'm sure there are some, it's probably the fans, spectators and groupies who cause most of them.

Is a wannabe the same as a groupie.:lol:

I'll tell ya, those machines get my blood pumping.

Offroading is a lifetime addiction for many of us. I am a little suprised by the large number of ex-racers et al. Then again a lot of us grew up with a Baja adrenaline habit.

Need a fix right now asamatteroffact:smug:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Having lived many years in Guerrero Negro, i have seen how the city really appreciated the baja 1000 race for economic reasons...it is a real boom to the economy when it goes through there.
I believe this weekend is the Mulege 500 as well...we saw some trophy trucks and dirt bikes prerunning the course which goes right by our secret beach.....sheesh....I kept having to put my bikini back on!

Shari

My son runs this circuit. and he said there was some lady trying to distract the prerunners. The last race of the season will be in Abreojos on the 27th of Dec...
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 06:42 PM

It is called 'off road' racing... but only because that sounds better, because it has ALWAYS been 'dirt road' racing, with some paved sections to connect to more dirt roads.

No Score off road race runs 'cross-country'... a road is used always because that is a cleared route between rocks and plants.

Sure, sometimes plants & rocks get hit... but far less than when that road was made!

Perry, those desert roads in the USA were not put there for racing... they are/ were ranch or mine roads being borrowed for a day. The BLM watches it closely.

The older NORRA races (1967- June, 1973) were point to point races... where any road could be used as long as each check point was used... and they mostly all used the same road, because it was the fastest route to the finish. Mexico ran the 1000 once (1973) and made a mess of it... Score was called in to take over.

Score races started in 1974 with the July 'Baja Internaciona'l and have always been highly regulated closed course races with standard check points, visual check points and secret check points to make sure the race course was used and not some shortcut through a town or rancho. No 1000 was run in '74 (the only year it was not).

Sure, there have been cheaters... they are racing for the win, afterall... However, now with the GPS tarckers on board all racers, that is going to be a thing of the past.

The damage is the garbage the local spectators leave behind after the race... not pit teams or racers, but the local spectators. Beer bottles and cans are just left behind. Hopefully, that too will change as the Mexican people become more enviromentally concerned. The racers bring excitement to an otherwise greatly unused amounts of land... When the race is over, the land is quiet again for the lizards and snakes! No great harm comes from the sport... and even the trash can be collected later.

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 06:54 PM

Quote:

Personally I think that everyone has the right to be free of the "excitement" of approaching a hill top only to be met by an 800 HP 4x4 half sideways, five feet off the ground at 135 MPH. "Hey Sluggo, can't you see we're PreRunning here?"

yeah, i can't see nuthing wrong with this statement at all...... 'specially if you're cruising down Hiway 1.....

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2009 at 08:11 PM

Just for you Glenn. Kevin is third in points right now on his quad even though he missed one race and couldn't finish in another

Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.