BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fishing from Kayak- Tackle ?
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 05:13 PM
Fishing from Kayak- Tackle ?

Decided to bring my boat (Kayak) down this winter and try and catch dinner. I'll mostly be on the east side- Bola, Conception etc. What lures work well for pan size fish - color size etc.? Do I need a metal leader? Line test? I'm from Colorado so am saltwater fishing clueless. I just bought a saltwater spin rig but will be shopping for tackle in San Diego on the way down.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 06:06 PM

Most the time I drag, cast, or jig a blue and silver 1 oz crocodile. I don't know if the color really makes a difference, but blue seems to work good for me. I've never really tried much else (if it works don't fix it). Make sure you have a good quality swivel as the line will tangle rapidly without one when trolling. I don't use metal leader, just a foot or so of line that's about 8 or 10lb more than the main line.

I pinch the barbs to make it easier to release fish. It's a pain trying to release a well barbed fish from a kayak.

Rapala lures are good too, but at kayak speed they don't have as much action as behind a boat.

[Edited on 11-23-2009 by BigWooo]

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 07:22 PM

Kastmasters and Krocs are probably the most used.
Some leadheads with softies or gulp are also good.
Small jigging Rapalas and others can be good casting.
Some Tady 45's work for casting/jigging as well.
Maybe a Salas 7x or similar for deep jigging.
Chrome/Blue/white are probably the most used colors.

Wire line is not needed but a few feet of flouro can help.

Stop in at Squidco in SD and they'll set you up.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 08:13 PM

Big & Diver are right on. My preference is 1/2 to 5/8 Krocs, Hopkins & Cast masters. My friends in their kayaks prefer the short billed Rapala types. Here's a site that's surf fishing and any thing they use will work in this area too. http://www.scsurffishing.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=2&st...
You mentioned you bought a spinning outfit, what pound test are you working with? 15# and less, preferably less is more than enough here. 6 1/2' rod with medium to medium heavy action rated for 6 to 15# line in a kayak should be good. A trout landing net might help control all but the huge fish when you get them to the kayak. If you're going to target bigger fish like yellowtail maybe another rig with conventional set up in the 20 pound class with a braided line around 30# or more. Like Dive r said, "Stop in at Squidco in SD and they'll set you up." I like the Jig Stop in Dana Point. Not big but know their fishing.
Let us know when you're set up ready to leave. Some one may have a fish report by then.
I did catch a rooster fish, lizard fish and a corvina today at the estuary on Santa Inez beach.
None over 10"
:(

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2009 at 08:18 PM

Broken back small rapala are working on the sea of cortez, usually purple or blue but I have an orange one that gets hit most. While rods are best, you may also enjoy a hand line which is far less obtrusive, for long paddles and can work wonders.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 07:05 AM

I totally forgot about the broken back. I just ordered 4.

Rapala broken back.jpg - 44kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
I totally forgot about the broken back. I just ordered 4.

Those are beautiful! Exactly the colors! Here comes the Sierra.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 07:32 AM

I like to use a conventional reel with 30-50lb line and a short 6-7' boat rod with a gimbal butt when fishing from a kayak. Spinning reels are too bulky and do not do well for trolling. It also helps to mount a couple of flush mount rod holders in the rear deck of the kayak.(get the ones that are closed on the bottom) A good source of info is Kayak Fishing Adventures at Big Water's Edge or Kayak Fishing Stuff. Get an assortment of Rapala magnums(my favorite is purple), Rebel Fastracs, Scampis, and Krocodiles.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 08:54 AM

Don't forget a simple cord to tie your rod to your boat which can be quick released and a method to tie the fish to the boat, like an open metal ring. Everything must be tied on in case of havoc.
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 09:11 AM

Check out the book "The Baja Catch". A little outdated as the fish aren't as big as they used to be. Great guide for camping at those out of the way spots.
I use 20 lb test and troll small yozuris or rapalas. Drop down a small candy bar jig... usually catch more on the bottom. I do use short steel leaders.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 10:27 AM

I carry an extra pair of needle nose pliers. They can go overboard easily. My backup pair float, but otherwise aren't as good. My favorite pair are extra long; good for removing hooks while keeping the second treble, or a sierra's teeth, away from my hands. I don't tether my rods but do tether my paddle. I have a small mast and light for pre-dawn fishing so I don't get run over.

For fishing reefs, I have a combo fish finder and GPS, to see the depth, bottom makeup and help fix positions. It uses a rechargeable 6v Cabela's battery.

Lures: For trolling, I use a YoZuri, similar to the rapalas. Beware of the extra treble hooks when you have a fish flopping around. Flattened barbs are a really good idea.

For casting, the Krocodiles are a good one. My favorite is the Megabait jig, sadly out of production, but there are similar jigs from River to Sea (the Sea Rock) and from P Line. The secret to these jigs is to entice the fish to bite as they drop, not as you retrieve. Cast, bring in the slack, point the rod towards the lure and let it sink some. Then crank about 7-8 turns, and pause, letting the lure flutter down. Repeat. IMO better for cabrilla, barred pargo, snappers. For sierra, I like the krocs.

I use from 10 to 30 lb outfits, depending on the time and place. Lighter tackle is much more fun, but the trade off is you will lose some big ones, and you'll lose some lures. Especially if there are yellowtail or barred pargo, and a sharp rocky bottom

Early morning fishing off the Loreto Marina seems to be winding down, with only the barracuda remaining. Yesterday, besides 6-7 barries I got only one sierra and a baby roosterfish. I the last couple of weeks, I've caught sierra, jack crevalle, spotted bay bass (unusual in these parts), small bonefish, triggerfish, roosterfish, firecracker yellowtail, big eye, and barracuda in front of town, from 5:30 AM to about 7. I've used the yoZuri, a small krocodile, a Megabait and plastic swimbaits.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 12:57 PM

mojo_norte, Good Luck!:D
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
mojo_norte, Good Luck!:D

Great tips! Thanks all :tumble:
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 01:33 PM

Lots of good Baja infromation and tried and true tackle available here: http://www.transpeninsularoutfitters.com/index.html

No worries
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-23-2009 at 04:01 PM

The next thing I want to try is a bait tube for live bait. You can make one out of pvc and tow them alongside the kayak to keep your bait frisky.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 01:24 PM

Anyone ever do kayak fishing in La Paz? Where, exactly? What do you catch?

What are good tasting "pan fish" in La Paz/Loreto?

Can someone post a picture of a typical kayak?

Thanks
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 02:27 PM

I had a friend who used to catch some nice pargo around the Marina Palmyra.
Don Alley
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan

Can someone post a picture of a typical kayak?

Thanks

My Fish 'n Dive, unrigged. Two built in rod holders. One detachable holder, fish finder, and seat not rigged in this photo. This model is getting old, it's wide, slow, but very very stable. Almost all fishing kayaks are similar "sit on top" types.

Do a search, you can find several message boards and tons of pics with some pretty tricked out kayaks.

P1010168.jpg - 13kB
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-24-2009 at 09:45 PM

Here is site for the San Diego area..

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/forumdisplay.php?f=8

There some good deals to found..

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.