Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Black Marlin in Bahia Asuncion
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 11:59 AM
Black Marlin in Bahia Asuncion

This was caught last Sunday by our friends, Victor and Armando Verduzco --- besides being our friends, they also own the hotel in town and now have a sport fishing business. They were quite happy.

They e-mailed us the photos with permission to share them. Looks like Captain Victor was also making a little very fresh sushi.

[Edited on 12-3-2009 by DianaT]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 12:31 PM

cool. i woulda let it go.... i'm not judging anyone though!

it is a beautiful fish. any idea how long they take to grow to this size?

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 01:01 PM

i didn't know marlin were good to eat - especially raw sushi style.
i was told when they are "taken" they are either eaten by the very poor or sold to canneries that make pet foods.
i'm with Woody on this - release em. but i know these guys fish for income so who am i to say?
the last one i caught in mulege was with Capt. Alex and the fish threw up his stomach and Alex said it would die anyway so we boated it. Gave it away - he said not good for eating.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 01:47 PM

Yup. big difference between some well-heeled tourist on a day boat outta Cabo and folks who have to struggle to make a living.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 02:35 PM

actually, marlin are pretty good eating; really dense meat...i havent kept one in quite a few years....and...if a marlin throws up it's stomach, just tuck it back down it's throat and it will be fine nine times outta ten..

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 03:04 PM

dt - when will you next be in BA?
that lobster sounds pretty good to me.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Yup. big difference between some well-heeled tourist on a day boat outta Cabo and folks who have to struggle to make a living.

With as little as I know about different fish, I assumed that this was one that some would throw back. But I think they are not caught very often in our area, and I am not surprised it was not thrown back.

As far as the sushi---I have no idea----I am one who has no great appreciation for sushi----even the excellent sushi made by Diver.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 03:17 PM

Mike,

Many fish taco stands in the larger towns in Baja serve Marlin Tacos. You can find them in many restaurants in San Diego also. I am not, I repeat, I am not condoning the taking of Billfish of any type, stomach in or out.

I've never eaten one and I'm sticking to that story!

Ken
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 04:26 PM

Marlin is very fishing tasting. But it can be eaten. It may have died during the fight.
It's recommended to use very heavy line for a marlin and reel him in hard and fast. That way they are still very lively when they get to the boat and survive well when released.
But as you can imagine it's a bit difficult to work with a fresh and angry marlin. He will flash his colors at you as if to say"don't mess with me or you'll be sorry." And he means it too!
But it's legal to keep one so it's the anglers choice.
To me they are so cool looking and since they don't taste the way I like I always let them go. To me keeping a marlin is like keeping a porpoise.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 04:31 PM

Properly smoked marlin is quite good.

This one's a babe, too bad.

World record is around 1500 lbs.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 04:37 PM

Had marlin tacos at the popular taco stands near the Tijuana airport and university... they were great, the first marlin I ever had eaten... BajaCactus took us there.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 04:43 PM

From pictures I have seen, it is not a large marlin---but, I have a question for you avid, and very informed fishermen.

Arn't black marlin usually caught further south where it is more tropical? I have not seen one in Bahia Asuncion, but that does not mean there have not been any.

Tacos or whatever, I am sure in the village it will be consumed.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 04:52 PM

A little info about Baja marlin:

Overall, 183 teams and 937 anglers fished for 2 days in the 2006 Bisbee's Black & Blue Marlin Tournament, with 152 billfish caught and 96.7 percent released, including 64 blue marlin, 6 black marlin, 61 striped marlin, and 21 sailfish, for total prize money of $4,165,960.

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 05:26 PM

Thats a Tecate can I saw in that boat!! Must be good fisher people.

Nice to see they are doing well. Bet they are great for a sport fishing trip.
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 05:49 PM

That looks to be a baby. It is better to keep the small ones and release the big ones. The large ones are almost always females.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 07:41 PM

Posting photos of landed Black Marlin seems like an endorsement and is akin to promotion imo. I was shocked that you posted it. Sorry we had to see it.:(

Looks like a very expensive boat motor and fishing gear. They can easily fish for and keep other fish.
Next time I'll be a little more "to the point".:mad:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
BMG
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

Posting photos of landed Black Marlin seems like an endorsement and is akin to promotion imo.
What's is Diane promoting?

I think the world is run by C- students.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 08:39 PM

Ok, let's set the record straight. Striped Marlin is not very good but is certainly better than Sailfish, which is ok, but pretty greasy. Blue marlin is a lot better and is very popular and is certainly an improvment on Stripey's. But Black is in a class all of itself and is a very good eating fish.
I agree with the catch and release but that is a pretty "North of the Border" kind of an idea. It is just barely catching on in places like Cabo and Mag Bay, so I am willing to cut a little slack to these guys who have probably just caught their first marlin. I can even understand how rare these things are and how they would want to show it to everyone since it is such a rare occurence. I am sure that they will want to go back to grouper and yellowtail which are probably superior but it is pretty hard to do that to your first fish. Even the established fisheries usually cut a lot of slack to a person who has just caught their very first marlin.
I fish a lot with a commercial fisherman and when I released a marlin while he stood ready with he gaff, we did get to talk a lot about the wisdom of releasing and I noticed one day when he was by himself that he caught a stripey, which was promptly released. So, there is hope, it just takes awhile and there are years of conditioning here that have to be taken into account.

Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Posting photos of landed Black Marlin seems like an endorsement and is akin to promotion imo. I was shocked that you posted it. Sorry we had to see it.:(

Looks like a very expensive boat motor and fishing gear. They can easily fish for and keep other fish.
Next time I'll be a little more "to the point".:mad:

Bla bla bla ....
They don't target Marlin in Asuncion.
They undoubtedly caught it when fishing for Tuna or Dorado.
Maybe they could not revive it at the boat.
This fish will not go to waste in BA.
Diane is not promoting; just reporting.

Point is that you don't know the details so give it a break.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-3-2009 at 09:00 PM

That sushi looks like lobster to me:?:

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.