Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: This is how it begins
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 01:02 PM
This is how it begins

This is how it begins. I've been saying all along that the next president of Mexico will be in league with the drug cartels and peace will be restored, at least on the surface. This article is an op-ed piece of why Mexico should withdraw from the war on drugs by a Mexican citizen. Jorge Castañeda was the Minister of Foreign Affairs under Vicente Fox. His father was also a Minister of Foreign Affairs. So, he has the credibility and credentials to be a candidate. More importantly, he started out his career as a member of the Mexican Communist Party and even wrote a biography of Che Gueverra. He moved to the center, and even ran for president in 2006.

His op-ed piece is all about why Mexico should just declare victory on the war on drugs and leave the cartels alone.

http://www.thestar.com/comment/article/740822#article

No soy por ni contra apatía.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 01:19 PM

Castañeda is cerebral elite in and out of Mexico. Too bad he hangs so far out on the left. With his brains and LO's popularity, they would be a tough team to keep up with. Just hope that doesn't happen.

Sorry...I didn't read what you linked but, I'm on my way.

[Edited on 12-21-2009 by DENNIS]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 01:22 PM

Very good Article and Accurate.

The war on Drugs cannot be stopped until the Demand in the States is First Stopped.

Can that happen?? Very unlikely.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 01:23 PM

Thanks for the posted link. I think you are basically correct in what you say. Lopez Obrador came amazingly close last time. Come next presidential election, Mexico may well be suffering a big case of Calderon/ PAN fatigue.

I wouldn't emphasize Casteneda's early ties with the Communist Party because at this point in time, it is more or less irrelevant, except maybe for Mexico's version of Fox News. The man is an intellectual.

As was pointed out in his piece, who, with a rational mind really believes any so-called war on drugs is winnable? Suppose it depends on how one defines terms. After all, didn't we win the Viet Nam war?:no:

The whole war on drugs thing has become an economic engine that provides jobs for everything from boots on the ground all the way to manufacturers. I'd venture a guess that more money is spent on the war, than is made by the cartels.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 02:59 PM

One of the things we often over look Is as follows:

Who wants to put his life on line for a DOPER??

When the people get fed up with their Children getting killed by all of the DOPERS, DEALERS, SELLERS, GROWERS they will take things into there own Hands and start killing everyone connected.

People have gottin used to DOPERS and they just stay away from them and let them Die their slow Death, a little early most of the time

I do not beleive there is any Political Solution to this very Sad Problem.
If you really want to see a Sad Thing, go visit Cuilcian MX. It will turn your stomach.

Skeet
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:24 PM

Cuilcian, can't find it, where is it...:?::?:

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:27 PM

Culiacan...........state of Sinaloa...........mainland of Mexico.....

Has been a center of drug activity for a long time.

Too bad too, as I have friends that used to go bird hunting there every year and raved about it!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:29 PM

Culiacan vs Cuilcian.. googled it and no go... and your right about the bird shooting over there...:):)

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:38 PM

Culiacan: You would not belive the paintins on every wall in Town.!

Just be very careful if you drive through, Don"t stop!

Skeet
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:51 PM

Jorge Castañeda is an always has been out of touch with reality. His article seems logic, but he fails to understand the real situation on the streets of Mexico. Cartels where in many parts of Mexico free to do as they wanted, this is still true in many areas, but in many places, including Tijuana, you don't see the cartel gunmen drive around the city in broad daylight killing people anymore. What Calderon did was to postpone the takeover of many areas of Mexico by drug cartels, and he had no choice. Theres a big political aspect of this war that barely gets mentioned. The PRI is behind a lot of the cartels and is waging war against the president in order to win the next elections.

In my opinion, the only way out is to legalize it all, and have the state control the sale and distribution. While this wouldn't destroy the cartels completely, it would take a huge chunk of their finances away from them and make them more vulnerable to law enforcement.

Castañeda is just another guy criticizing things, and what we need is solutions, not different views about the same old problem.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Culiacan: You would not belive the paintins on every wall in Town.!

Just be very careful if you drive through, Don"t stop!

Skeet

maybe time travel through a space time continuum ... take a guess at what this is

the answer... http://www.time.com/time/photogallery/0,29307,1827101_1742280,00.html thanks skeet, just learned something again today.. never too old

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

eureka.gif posted on 12-21-2009 at 03:55 PM

As repugnant as Sleeping With The Enemy is, I have said all along that this is a very probable solution. At the time I was saying it, I thought I was all alone in conceiving this idea. You can look up my posts in the archives. (Arrowhead is good at this). Apparently my idea was so radical for this board that it didn't get any attention whatsoever, positive or negative. And yet I floated this idea several times in different strings that dealt with this topic.

My main reason twofold: The violence must end, and "The War on Drugs" is a stupid concept that is unwinnable.

All attitudes, be they moral, religious, medical or legal are certainly considerations, but are irrelevant.

So, although I hate to say "I told you so"...well, "I told you so"!:smug:

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 04:02 PM
Won't work

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
In my opinion, the only way out is to legalize it all, and have the state control the sale and distribution. While this wouldn't destroy the cartels completely, it would take a huge chunk of their finances away from them and make them more vulnerable to law enforcement.

The cartels would never agree. :rolleyes:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
When the people get fed up with their Children getting killed by all of the DOPERS, DEALERS, SELLERS, GROWERS they will take things into there own Hands and start killing everyone connected.

People have gottin used to DOPERS and they just stay away from them and let them Die their slow Death, a little early most of the time

??? skeeter. people die from booze, DWI, smoking -- and the states (US/Mexico) promote those vices, collect taxes, etc.
they only wage war on dope because they can't tax it.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 04:37 PM
Look Farther

Quote:
??? skeeter. people die from booze, DWI, smoking -- and the states (US/Mexico) promote those vices, collect taxes, etc.
they only wage war on dope because they can't tax it.

You cannot overlook the tens of thousands of people making their living from this "war". They, and the folks who can make income from supporting the "war", and other peripheral turds will resist any efforts to legalize.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 04:48 PM

You can put your laughing faces out there all you want. I still want to know why you refuse to engage in actual intellectual discourse, but rather choose to denigrate people. Are you nine years old?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fender
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
and other peripheral turds will resist any efforts to legalize.

sounds like something from the texas pansyhandle !!:lol::lol:

fender,
didn't you get run off of this board last time you posted here under your various aliases? what was your name? some scum RE agent/bar fly from carolinas/mulege, i seem to recall you were
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 04:57 PM

Methinks you are on to something, goat.;D
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 05:00 PM

personal freedom, what an interesting concept... maybe we could start a Country based on that...:):)

fender
Banned

[*] posted on 12-21-2009 at 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666

fender,
didn't you get run off of this board last time you posted here under your various aliases? what was your name? some scum RE agent/bar fly from carolinas/mulege, i seem to recall you were

negative batgirl. just a BCS resident willing to call sheeple out on their BS.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.