Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Chinese food at Sin Lee's
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 08:12 AM
Chinese food at Sin Lee's

Had a chance to try Chinese food at Sin Lee's in Primo Tapia

A small place, with a nothing fancy seating arrangement, tables pulled together to form rows where you can set down and eat, or as we did, wait for a take out order.

We order a lunch which consisted of: Chicken Chop Suey, Chicken Fried Rice, One egg roll, and two pieces of chicken (per person)

The total for the meal, was ten USD.

We were able have have lunch that day, and the left overs were enough for a lunch the next day.

The cooking style is Cantonese, which is our favorite, and the menu was really quite extensive and had many items which I have yet to try.. Shark tail soup, and many, many more..

Dinners for two were priced at $16 USD and you got 4 main items, plus soup, salad, and I think rice too. They did not have any extra menu's so, will have to go back and get a copy, or take a photograph to fill in the blanks on all the rest..

Have put Lee's establishment up on the web with a picture of his location, and a goggle interactive map. I don't have his address... but, I don't think you will miss it.

If your on the old road, or the toll road.. just jump off and give him a try, I don't think you will be disappointed either.

http://web.me.com/wswesson/Wessongroup/Sin_Lee.html:):)

[Edited on 12-23-2009 by wessongroup]

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 08:19 AM

I always order the specials on a board behind the cash register. Not bad you can feed two for 60 Pesos for one BIG plate. I've never gotten sick there yet. Knock on wood head! Foods OK- especially after a night of drinking!
I totally recomend wearing a bib!
Almost forgot to mention the Chinese food restaurant in north Rosarito has gone totally down hill. It's the one in that little plaza next to mama mia pizza behind the Coppel. They started off strong good food good price then something happened and the quality just dropped off.

[Edited on 12-23-2009 by Mexicorn]
BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 09:39 AM

Thanks for the review. I`ve sat across the street at one of those little joints and wondered about this one. I love big portions and Chinese leftovers for lunch!
Hey Mexicorn--- Who are you? Let`s see, Ive eliminated Daves` alter ego, JC and gang because I`ve never seen one of them crack a computer, a few others because you don`t talk about fishing, hummmmmmmmm....................... JB????
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BornFisher
Thanks for the review. I`ve sat across the street at one of those little joints and wondered about this one. I love big portions and Chinese leftovers for lunch!
Hey Mexicorn--- Who are you? Let`s see, Ive eliminated Daves` alter ego, JC and gang because I`ve never seen one of them crack a computer, a few others because you don`t talk about fishing, hummmmmmmmm....................... JB????

Yes, it's not "Pick-Up-Sticks" to look at.. but, we figured with all the cars out front...

Later, learned they were parked there as, as one can see, the road is pretty tore up.. I parked in the middle of the street..

Would also add, we did not get sick either, nor did the dogs...

Don't know what Mexicorn had.. didn't see the specials behind the cashier, was reading the menu at a table in front across from the cashier.. will say, I did not care for the egg roll, but... the chicken chop suey was excellent as was the chicken fried rice.. the chicken was good also..

We are going to try them again... but, maybe after Christmas, my plate is full for the next few days.. no complaints.. :):)

Were you at Mariscos Alegria?? here they do a good job on fish taco's :):)

[Edited on 12-23-2009 by wessongroup]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 09:57 AM

Sounds like a place worth trying, but please don't support Shark Finning by eating the soup.

from wikipedia..............

"Over 100 million sharks are killed every year, most of which due to the demand for shark fin soup. Major declines in shark populations have been recorded in recent years—some species have been depleted by over 90% over the past 20–30 years with a population decline of 70% not being unusual. Only a small amount of the shark is actually kept. This is done is a process called finning where the fins of the shark is cut from living sharks. After the fins have been cut off, the remainder of the fish which is often still-living, is thrown back into the sea. When returned to the ocean, the finless shark is unable to swim and sinks to the ocean bottom and dies a slow death."
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 10:17 AM

Finning used to be a large industry in Sta. Rosalia. Wonder if it still is.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 11:00 AM

You don't have to worry about me.. chicken chop suey is about as exotic as I get... and when I used to fish.. it was always catch and release.. I just liked being out there, be it fresh or salt and getting a line wet.. add to it a "hook-up" just icing on the cake to me.. :):)

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 02:12 PM

Not sure why, but it seems that really good, authentic tasting Chinese food is just about the only ethnic cuisine that can be found all over the world. Your post reminds me of eating Chinese food in East Germany just after the reunification. The place was family owned and had been there for decades. It was on par with the best I've had anywhere.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Not sure why, but it seems that really good, authentic tasting Chinese food is just about the only ethnic cuisine that can be found all over the world.

Almost. I've heard the Chinese food in China is terrible.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 02:59 PM

It kind of goes with the territory. If you are used to the domestic version. Order a pizza in Rome and see what you get. Americans are conditioned to like Mexican food Sonoran style. Or worse yet, Taco Bell style. Not knocking Sonoran food, per se, but it merely scratches the surface or the panoply of Mexican Cuisine.
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Not sure why, but it seems that really good, authentic tasting Chinese food is just about the only ethnic cuisine that can be found all over the world.

Almost. I've heard the Chinese food in China is terrible.

Kitty Fried Rice is nice.

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 07:45 PM
wessongroup, You Took One for the Team

Mariscos Alegria, across the road, serves consistently excellent fresh and well-prepared food, meaning I will eat raw clams and oysters there.

When I asked about the Chinese restaurant across the road, they shrugged and said, "Meow".

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-23-2009 at 09:10 PM

FYI there is actually a chinese food restaurant in Chula Vista named Cat Cheon.
Get it.... Crying cat
They advertise on that TV screen next to the Sentri line in TJ.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
FYI there is actually a chinese food restaurant in Chula Vista named Cat Cheon.
Get it.... Crying cat
They advertise on that TV screen next to the Sentri line in TJ.

Mexicon... Chula Vista Chinese restaurants owners seem ready to try anything to sell some Food.. this one got my attention on the way down...

A Chinese restaurant, from Arizona, in California sell with Mexican menus ... does the saying "if we don't sell it, you don't need it" ring a bell :lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 12-30-2009 by wessongroup]

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Had a chance to try Chinese food at Sin Lee's in Primo Tapia

A small place, with a nothing fancy seating arrangement, tables pulled together to form rows where you can set down and eat, or as we did, wait for a take out order.

We order a lunch which consisted of: Chicken Chop Suey, Chicken Fried Rice, One egg roll, and two pieces of chicken (per person)

The total for the meal, was ten USD.

Same price as north of the border in any fast food Chinese food joint.

[Edited on 12-25-2009 by arrowhead]

No soy por ni contra apatía.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 06:00 PM

Oh, really.... :lol::lol::lol:

Just checked on line with Pick-up Sticks:

Chicken Kung Pao 1- $7.49

Vegetable egg roll 1- $1.29

Chicken fred rice-1- $6.19

Looks like $14.97 less tax to me, plus

I didn't get 4 pieces of chicken...

Your right we could have driven up to San Yasidro, or Chula Vista and gotten Chinese food, but that doesn't seem like a really good idea to me, when Primo Tapia is about a 1 1/2 from where we are.. and seems to be cheaper than what I just saw on line for prices, but then maybe the RAISED them for Christmas as they are doing so much business ....

[Edited on 12-25-2009 by wessongroup]

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 07:07 PM

Food's good, portions are large and price is obscenely inexpensive. :biggrin:

I usually order a meat or chicken dish which comes with steamed rice, and four egg rolls for $7-$8. This will easily feed 4 people.

They also have excellent soup.

I don't know how they do it...

But I've never seen any cats hangin' around the kitchen door. :rolleyes:

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 07:40 PM

Last year around christmas I crossed at Otay Mesa. The traffic was pretty backed up as I recall and I said What the hell and we pulled into that hole in the wall chinese restaurant a couple blocks before you enter the Sentri. You know how traffic backs up along that main drag and the right lane snails along. It was right there as we snailed along on the right side. Any how we walked in and sat down and looked at the menu. The waitress didnt speak any english so I turned on my pocho spanish and asked what was the most popular dish. She responded the pork. Ok I'll have one. Guys I'm not BS'n you it was one of the greatest chinese meals I've ever had. The pork was frito in small chunks with a coating of some sort but it was hot out of the fryer. It came with the fried rice and brown sauce that was poured over the top with veggies mixed in. I wish I could remember the name of that place so I could tell you guys it was great!.
Oh yea that Arizona place in CV was the place to go for good Chinese food back in the mid 90's but its gone down hill. Strangely enough it still draws a pretty good crowd all Mexicans- no one speaks good english at the place. That Crying Cat place is right around the corner. If you hankering for a decent Chinese buffet and your in San Ysidro stop in at that Sunrise buffet across from Plaza Las Americas adjacent to Baja duty free you will be plesently suprised and PIG OUT!!!
Hell the diet can start next year LOL!!!!
Dennis weather update in PB please... tick tick tick?
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 09:10 PM
Because

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Food's good, portions are large and price is obscenely inexpensive. :biggrin:

I usually order a meat or chicken dish which comes with steamed rice, and four egg rolls for $7-$8. This will easily feed 4 people.

They also have excellent soup.

I don't know how they do it...

But I've never seen any cats hangin' around the kitchen door. :rolleyes:

They don't last very long.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-24-2009 at 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Dennis weather update in PB please... tick tick tick?

Dark and quiet.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.