Author: Subject: POMPANO FISH REPORT - BUZZARD/GULLS ATTACK SENORITA
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 07:24 AM
POMPANO FISH REPORT - BUZZARD/GULLS ATTACK SENORITA

February 5, 2010

Hey! We just went fishing!!

After a month away from my old Baja digs, I FINALLY got back on the water...and none too soon. Another couple days and I would have lost my sea legs for sure. ;D

I had to go North for some important medical and personal events, but by far the most pleasant was an opportunity to buy another boat and then trailer it back to Baja. You see, I just could'nt wait till spring thaw Up North to use this boat, so for now she sits in Coyote Bay. I will trailer her Up North later this spring, hopefully for some more outstanding salmon, lake trout, pike, and walleye fishing.

It 's a honey. A YarCraft 1895 Storm BT. Which means it's a walleye boat especially built strong for stormy weather on our Up North lakes. (the second one I have had) A true fishing boat..a tiller steering boat, like most pangas you see around the world. You sit in the rear next to the engine and steer by hand..Egads, what will they think of next! The BT stands for backtroller which is synonymous for catching fish called..'walleyes.'

Walleyes (my favorite freshwater fish) usually like thier bait/meals to be SLOOOW-LY pulled past thier noses...At other times speed-ripping a Rattle-Trap plug is the ticket. Then it's Whammo-time!

You can get your bait-trolling speed way, way down by backtrolling rather than forward trolling as most angling is done. The boat has big see-thru splashgaurds to prevent the operator getting soaked in wave conditions.

YarCraft backtroller? On the Sea of Cortez yet? Come on..get real. Yup..my kind of fishing platform. Tons of walk-around and usable storage, designed by fishermen for fishermen. everything is at your grasp. Not your typical Sea of Cortez boat, but pretty dang close to a panga nevertheless.

Now one might think there is no real need to 'backtroll' down here...and you would be right.
Unless, like me, you want to experiment..learn new techiques. Have some adventure! :rolleyes:

You'd be amazed at what you can do with slowly moving...bumping bait on the bottom or near structure. All kinds of action, all kinds of fish (& critters!)

TODAY'S FISH REPORT

Ever since I got back to Baja after my month-long trip Up North, I've been hearing of the wide-open yellowtail bite that's been happening lately in the Mulege area. Miguel at La Tienda tells me that most of the fishermen have been limiting out on BIG yellowtail all over the place. In fact, so much so that some fishermen have been going to new, untried places just for a change of pace. Now THAT'S fishing fun: When you are completely satisfied with your successes and can now settle down to some experimentations to further hone your fishing skills.

Some really hots spots for big tails have been: San Marcos NE corner, Jorge's Hole north of San Marcos, the old haunts off Tortuga, areas between south San Marcos and Pta. Chivato point (The Ranch, 210, Canyons,etc) Trolling for cabrilla has been good off Santa Inez Islands just south of Pta. Chivato Pt . Wilbur's Hole. And the usual points and holes south of Pt. Conception. Rosas, Teresa, Ille del Fonso, and so on down the coast.

Using live bigeye or green mack with a 3-4 oz. sliding egg weight on strong line (40-60lb, depending on your ability to keep the bad boys out of the rocks) will get you hooked up in short order. So simple even a caveman can do it. Some use circle hooks..some prefer to set the hook themselves and use regulation hooks. Have some of each on hand. I have one of each ready at all times, plus two casting rigs with different lures. When opportunity knocks, you'll want to open that door fast. Chance favors the prepared mind, etc. You get the idea.

What was it like today? Here's my report ..and I'm sticking to it.

First, we slept in. This business of getting up in the middle of the night is getting old. (Or I am!) We hit the water at the crack of ..umm..about 9:00 or so. Hey, the ramp's not crowded then, you know...

Plus I had been thinking that the last flood might have changed the channel from the ramp through the river to the bait hole outside. Thankfully, Mateo the fishing guide was there to reassure me. "It's the same way, Rogelio...same as before. You can't miss it. Take it easy, amigo."

We launch using the new floating dock at the Donation Pier near the airstrip at the Serinadad Hotel. Very nice and makes this an easy chore.

Following the same channel course, I mosey us along the river past the lighthouse..

Co-pilot keeping an eagle eye on any obstructions ahead. She has to do this, because Pompano is keeping an eagle eye on Co-pilot...sigh..

On the way out, we pass this little sloop aground on the rocky shore below the harbor master. Sure hope it hasn't suffered much damage careened like that. A dingy was tied up alongside and I imagine the little sloop is being tended. Good luck with that, my friend.

Clearing the harbor, I stop and crank up the radio from my tiller seat, I hear Two Dogs and he tells me to come to Wilbur's Hole..the action is still on! I chortle in anticipation. (Note: watching me chortle is not recommended for children.)

Cranking up the throttle, we run out on a bearing of 90 degrees at about 28 knots..nice and easy..rigging some gear as we go and enjoying a beautiful morning at sea.

We have about a 6 mile run ahead..and a little time to enjoy the scenery before going to work. ;)

There are always some sights to see when on the SOC and today is no exception. We soon come upon one of our frequent purse seiners from the mainland. I steer closer to take a couple of close-up photos and notice the captain looking at me with his binoculars. I wave my acknowledgement of his right of way...he returns my wave with a nonchalant flip. I doubt we will become fishing buddies.

Our next sighting is much more pleasing to our senses. "Ahoy, Co-pilot, there's a sailboat on the horizon! Keep a sharp lookout."

A pretty, bright-sailed *ketch heading north towards some port of call.. Ahh...Voyages! Perhaps bound for Pta. Chivato..San Marcos..Sta. Rosalia..Fargo?

This time eager and friendly Baja-style waves are exchanged. That's more like it, right Co-pilot?

(A ketch has two masts, with the mizzenmast being the shorter of the two. This mizzenmast is set forward of the rudder post. A ketch has three of four sails and is closely related to a yawl.

The advantage of a ketch is that the addition of the mizzen sail splits the rig as a whole into more manageable proportions. This is helpful with a small crew, which is usually the case in the Cortez.)

As she sails on, I get a nice photo of her wing-on-wing passage, something I loved to do in my old McGregor 26 sloop.

Wing-on-wing = Sailing wing on wing is a technique that puts the foresail on the opposite tack of the mainsail as the boat runs downwind. The result is that the two sails spread out in front of the boat, catching the wind, like two spread wings. You use this effective sailing technique to gain some speed out of light winds.

This is when you could break out the spinnaker pole and...opps, I'm digressing again. After all,

this is supposed to be a fishing report.
:rolleyes:

Okay then..back to FISHING.

Having been distracted enough for now, I call Two Dogs again to verify our destination...fabled Wilbur's Hole...the Mecca of grande jurel...Big Tails...and some tall tales afterwards at the Jungla.

Two Dogs says we are 'almost in time for noon lunch'.."Where you been? Keeping banker's hours now? Better get over here, we're almost limited out."

I head due east and see his Striper amidst a few other boats. Just as we come alongside to say howdy...Whammo!...Two Dogs fishing companion, Tom, gets a pickup on his live bait and the fight is ON!

What great fun to watch this...as I hurriedly get our rigs ready. Tom does a fine job of bring the big yellowtail to gaff by Two Dogs...and they add yet another fine fish to thier tally.

Not having live bait aboard (You will recall our ..ah, rather LATE start of 9:00 AM..sigh.), I clip a couple irons to our jigging rigs and send them to the bottom, thinking of the quick, hard work ahead...but eager to catch some jurel!

Then.. there came a moment of supreme benevolence and generosity. One of those supreme moments when your faith in your fellow man is restored.

Two Dogs had seen me readying the iron and realized I had not made bait that morning...nada..which greatly reduced our chances of a hookup.

"Roger, we've got a few baits left, wanna come get a couple?"

I got there in 2-1/2 seconds flat and kissed his hand as Co-pilot grabbed the offering of two bigeyes.

I hooked the two baits to other rigs I had ready with hooks and 3-oz sliding egg sinkers, sending those bigeyes down to the 200 foot mark.. about 60 feet up from the rock pile below.

WHAMMO! ZZzzzzzz.. my bait is taken almost immediately...

I give the yellowtail run my usual count and set the hook solidly into a really heavy fish. Or so I thought...the monster made one mighty run for the rocks and I may have tried a little too hard to stop him..

...cuz he got the bait and I got the kiss-off. Hey, that was quick...but FUN. Bye-bye Jurel.

Co-pilot is looking at me with a questioning expression...and a sympathic smile...and then HER clicker goes off....

ZZzzzzzzzzzz.... WHAMMO AGAIN!

Fish on solidly, Co-pilot does a masterful job of showing me how by fighting a big yellowtail up, down, and sideways...pumping and reeling, letting the bad boy run, keeping steady pressure on him all the time, grinning and laughing, and giving us all a great show. All this time she is holding the rod butt into her tummy..as I look all over the place for the dang bellybuttons I have forgotten to pack into this new boat...grrrrr...my bad. Two Dogs comes to the rescue again by throwing one over to me. Gracias amigo! I quickly get the belt strapped around Co-pilot's wasit..and she fights on.

"Ha! Brava, brava! Mi piace! Mi piace!" Oh yeah, she likes fishing alright...

Co-pilot brings the fish up again and again...wearing him down..letting him fight the rod...until that final thrashing time alongside the boat.. exhausted, he gives himself up..

...and we bring him aboard. A fine fish..and a fine fisherman. Congratulations, Co-pilot. Brava again!

Not only a good fisherman, but signorina Co-pilot makes a ready and willing deckhand to help clean up afterwards. "Grazie, tesoro. Thanks for christening the new fishing boat!"

That one nice yellowtail will give us a fine dinner, plus some gift fillets for our friends & neighbors, so we decide to call it a day on Wilbur's Hole for Jurel and go exploring for pintos, cabrilla....or whatever catches our interest.

Hey, it's a fine day to be alive on the Sea of Cortez!

Who knows where we might end up.....?

(to be continued)

[Edited on 2-19-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:05 AM

Pompano, Thanks for the pictures and the report. Nice fish. Congrats to you and co-pilot.:spingrin:
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:09 AM

Another great photo story my friend - you are a lucky man!

BornFisher
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:42 AM

Beautiful, felt like I was there. Fine first mate you have there!
Congrats on your new boat!
mulegejim
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:01 AM

Roger, great shots - I'll be down near the end of the month for a couple of weeks. See you then. Jim
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:07 AM

GREAT PHOTOS ROGER!

Looks like 'co-pilot' is having a great time!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:26 AM

Great report, and a fine catch by the "co-pilot"!

"we don't need no stinkin center consol";D

Ken
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:44 AM

You are my hero Pomp! A house on the bay, a new boat, a big jurel, and a gorgeous co-pilot. Keep up the great reports!
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 04:50 PM

Roger you know how to live!!! Thanks, ++Ken++

carpe diem!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 05:01 PM

Are the boat and co-pilot available for hire?

Thanks for the description of a ketch................but you are spelling it wrong. No matter..............it IS quite a catch.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 05:29 PM

Roger- You are really one of a kind! Whenever I see that you have posted, I know I'm going to be entertained. Gracias, amigo.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 07:12 PM

Ey Roger...

does co-pilot have a name?

I had to ask... for next time we come to visit.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 02:37 PM
DONE FISHING - NOW FOR SOME BEACH TIME

Well, as you saw, our morning's fishing was about as good as it gets. It's now about 11:30 AM and we motor on from Wilbur's Hole.

We had killed a fine yellowtail, and that one fish will be great eating for us and many friends. We are satisfied to call it a day on angling and head for a great beach just inside the entrance to Bahia de Concepcion. Time for some beachcombing and a picnic..wanna join us?

PLAYA DOMINGO

Rounding the lighttower point at BOC's entrance we see our beach ahead...

..as you pass by this old fish camp that is used periodically by our local pangeros. Lots of gillnet laying around.

Co-pilot and I carry shore gear to this lovely secluded beach...

We have a wonderful lunch of chicken, spinach salad, and Macadonia fruit for desert..yummm.

Yawn...(tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock)

This is a superb beachcombing beach..full of seashells...
.... and objects d'art. ;) Co-pilot has her mesh bag and goes collecting for her next project.

I do some needed boat duties and also set up a photo op with our yellowtail....

(...tick-tock...tick-tock..)

...noticing Co-pilot way, way down the beach....hmm...pretty far away..oh well, not to worry so much, she's okay...it's fine.

(...tick-tock...tick-tock...)

I was kept busy for quite some time..and looked up to see how Co-pilot was doing with her beachcombing. Hmmm...not in sight. Nothing except those birds on the beach. Now where did she go...??

Suddenly I had sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach....! GOOD GOD!.. you don't suppose she fell, hit her head on a conch shell..and was now being ..gasp!..EATEN ALIVE by all those damn BUZZARDS AND GHASTLY GULLS!!

I race down the beach..yelling and waving my arms towards the mess of scavengers...pant, pant, pant...huff, huff, huff...thud, thud, thud....yelling my lungs out!!

Now birds are coming in from all directions...cawing and screeching..the damn feathered beasts!

I am almost there..but fear I am way too late....the soft sand is slowing me down....I am sinking....cannot make any forward motion....everything is slooowing way, way down.....getting hazy...I lament, "Poor, poor Co-pilot. You were such a good fisherman, too."

Then thru the haze I hear her pleasing laugh coming from the water. "Whatever are you doing, tesoro? Wake up! Wake up! Qual č il problema? Sei impazzito?"

Well...that just goes to show you that an overactive imagination, fueled by chicken & a bottle of cold chablis, then a beach nap.. will generate a really wild dream....sigh.

We packed up and headed home into the Bay. Possibly the NEXT trip will be more exciting.

Hey...maybe Shark! (I'll bring some merlot)

[Edited on 2-14-2010 by Pompano]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 11:13 PM

Nice looking boat and fish too.

Iflyfish
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 05:26 AM

Tell copilot - "molto bene"
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Tell copilot - "molto bene"

I certainly agree. :yes:

Io certamente d'accordo. Lo farņ, Igor .. o č possibile quando ci si ferma a casa mia.

willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 10:17 AM

Once again, Great pics and a great story, love it, keep em coming! I've been researching/dreaming of Baja about half of each day, now you've got me doing it full time! Fishing, SAILING, great beaches, warm sunny weather, clamming ... mmm love it. Does co pilot have a sister? :)
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-15-2010 at 04:03 PM

LMAO
Tell Sis I'll be there! :biggrin:
btw, nice looking fighting belt
tattuna
Junior Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 2-16-2010 at 10:22 PM

I love this post! The photos, the story, the life...Thank you for sharing!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.