Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making Bait
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:49 AM
Making Bait

Reading Pompanos fishing exploits got me thinking. Everytime I try to catch bait (unless with a panguero) I catch all kinds of different fish and usually none of the ones I'm trying to get. It's amazing the decent size fish you can catch on those small sabiki hooks!

What is the trick to getting proper bait? Specific bait holes? I usually head to a rocky point and drop down around 30-40 feet and I'll get a couple bay bass, a barracuda and a trigger-none of which are good for bait (I don't think).
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 09:52 AM

Have you tried using a Sabiki rig ?
And yes, finding a good bait hole is part of the trick.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 11:42 AM

A good fisherman knows more about where to find the bait than anything else, because the whole day is made or broken at the bait grounds. I bought the best fishfinder I could put my hands on so that I know when bait is present. For Bigeye or Caballito, normally they show up in about 30 feet of water and show as a small ball to individual fish showing. For Green Mackeral, they are usually about the same depth out to 300 feet of water but they generally are mid water to higher in the column. This time of the year we have some challenge finding the green mackeral and not getting the sardines which are not a good bait and foul up the bait tank as well as putting scales in your whole system. Spanish Mackeral are showing right now in about 300 feet of water and while they are certainly not my favorite bait, they do an acceptable job.
There are a number of different sabiki rigs and they all vary according to time of the year as to their effectiveness. Owner makes (IMHO) the best and they look like small squids and are made of plastic. The ones with different color fiber and small fish skin on the outside are ok, but they do attract the bay bass and other fish living in the area. We cut and retie all of our bait rigs and usually make them from 50 lb test so that we do not get cut off if we run into sierra, barracuda, or other toothy creatures.
And you are right, they do make a great fish catching rig and even though they will appeal more to the smaller fish, i have caught up to 10 lb bass on the rigs, rooster fish, yellowtail, sierra, and all the other toothy creatures that I wish I could avoid.

CortezBlue
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 04:38 PM

I am a Master Baiter:P
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:23 AM

Thanks for the hot tips Pescador! I'm printing it out right now because my pea brain can't remember jack. I'm going sturgeon fishing tomorrow in San Francisco Bay!
Anyone know the good bait holes in BOLA or is a secret?

And Cortez...I am practising all the time for that esteemed title!:spingrin:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

Get up early and follow the pangas - from a respectful distance.
drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 08:39 AM

If we have a few dead mackarel left after a day of fishing, we freeze them for the next morning. On the way out of San Lucas Cove, we chop the previously frozen mackarel into fine little bits; creating a chum. We look for the bait in about 30 feet of water by trolling a sabiki rig with little pieces of mackarel attached to the hooks. When we hook up with a few mackarel, we throw some finely chopped mackarel over the side. This has seemed to work pretty well, even on the "hard to make bait days". I cannot wait to come down again in about 3 or 4 months..
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by drzura
If we have a few dead mackarel left after a day of fishing, we freeze them for the next morning. On the way out of San Lucas Cove, we chop the previously frozen mackarel into fine little bits; creating a chum. We look for the bait in about 30 feet of water by trolling a sabiki rig with little pieces of mackarel attached to the hooks. When we hook up with a few mackarel, we throw some finely chopped mackarel over the side. This has seemed to work pretty well, even on the "hard to make bait days". I cannot wait to come down again in about 3 or 4 months..

I have a grinder and make a mixture with cornmeal and you could throw this stuff till the cows come home right now and you are just wasting your time. The fish are relating to the deeper water and that is where you wil find the bait. Your system works to gather fish that are scattered but already in the general area. If you chum in an unproductive area you will not get much of a response, except for some well fed bay bass.

drzura
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by drzura

I have a grinder and make a mixture with cornmeal and you could throw this stuff till the cows come home right now and you are just wasting your time. The fish are relating to the deeper water and that is where you wil find the bait. Your system works to gather fish that are scattered but already in the general area. If you chum in an unproductive area you will not get much of a response, except for some well fed bay bass.

Well, that is true. I guess I have been pretty lucky catching bait outside the mouth of the cove. I just troll around till I get a mackarel to bite and load up con mucho carnada viven. ;D
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martyman

Try off of the lighthouse out on the sand spit........
4baja
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 07:08 AM

marty try just outside of gillermos place, allso inside and out of the light house. allso inside horse head island is a good spot. i use sabiki of varios size hooks too match the bait size your catching. allso dont go all the way to the bottem as thats were the bass bass are waiting and as mention above get a good meter and you will see the schools comeing through. allso i keep an eye out for seals, dolphines and birds as they will point the way were the schools are. getting bait is key and allways our first stop out to the islands.

[Edited on 2-12-2010 by 4baja]
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-12-2010 at 09:06 AM

Pepe takes a look right out front.

PepeBait (Small).jpg - 48kB
billgow

[*] posted on 2-14-2010 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
The fish are relating to the deeper water and that is where you wil find the bait. Your system works to gather fish that are scattered but already in the general area. If you chum in an unproductive area you will not get much of a response, except for some well fed bay bass.

In Florida, we’ll mix sand in with our chum and freeze it into blocks. These can be lowered to any depth you like.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.