Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-24-2010 at 09:14 PM
Semarnat denies permit to paredones amarillos mine

Told you so.:rolleyes:

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 09:27 AM

I've had some bumps getting things through Semarnat. The paperwork gets stamped and forwarded to so many places it's hard to tell where the decisions are being made and how long it would take. It always takes longer than you think it will.

This one turned out perfect and just in time- although a few Nomads probably exhausted their Blood Pressure meds... Another win for the people and environment. Encouraging really.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

was this due to a public hearing?
elizabeth
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 12:26 PM

Quote:

This is definitely one of the few times "I told you so" sounds good!
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
Quote:

was this due to a public hearing?

None of these types of projects, ever pass during election times. They cost votes and no political party wants to lose votes going into very difficult and close elections.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 03:59 PM

But might that mean that the only thing that happened was a politically convenient delay?
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 04:43 PM

I don't hear the Fat Lady singing.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
But might that mean that the only thing that happened was a politically convenient delay?

This wasn't a delay, it was definately a no.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 05:09 PM

I hope you are right, amigo.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 05:17 PM

With that pile of crap they had.... don't think so.. what did it work out to ... 2,000 wedding rings out of the hole deal ..... :):)

gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 05:28 PM

So Awesome!
arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
So Awesome!

Yeah, woohoo! They just killed 100 direct jobs and a direct payroll of $2.5 million per year. Five times that with the multiplyer effect. Those mestizos down there can now sit down next to a pristine rock and eat tree bark for dinner, safe in the thought that the environment is protected from a state-of-the-art gold mining operation.

No soy por ni contra apatía.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by arrowhead
Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
So Awesome!

Yeah, woohoo! They just killed 100 direct jobs and a direct payroll of $2.5 million per year. Five times that with the multiplyer effect. Those mestizos down there can now sit down next to a pristine rock and eat tree bark for dinner, safe in the thought that the environment is protected from a state-of-the-art gold mining operation.

Your ignorance is almost funny. The direct jobs that you claim where lost, where never going to be given to locals, they where going to be given to people hired in southern Mexico, wich will in turn need more housing, water, roads, etc etc and increase crime.

2.5 million a year for jobs for non Baja residents, a strain in water resources, and the environmental damage?

[Edited on 2-26-2010 by JESSE]

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 06:37 PM

You don't know what you are talking about A-head. I have talked to many people in the affected area and have not met one who was in favor of the mine. The area is the watershed for a large population and should not be contaminated with mine waste.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 06:43 PM

Ahead = The Joker
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 06:57 PM

Can always be counted on for sage advise... not

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Your ignorance is almost funny. The direct jobs that you claim where lost, where never going to be given to locals, they where going to be given to people hired in southern Mexico, wich will in turn need more housing, water, roads, etc etc and increase crime.

And you know this precisely how, Jesse? Did you get your information from the same people who supply the Global Warming data? Maybe you got it from cousin Chuy, who heard it at bar while talking to the presdent of the company?

I'l bet I'm the only person here who actually read the technical report on the mine, all 13 Mbtyes of it:

http://www.vistagold.com/technical_reports/Paredones%20Amari...

Here's a few tidbits from the 172 page report to chew on:

Quote:
Socio Economical Characteristics

The Project in the municipality of La Paz, B.C.S. is welcomed by the government and local population, since it is a potential generator of employment in an outlying zone and may contribute to the improvement of services and infrastructures in communities near the Project.

The study of the Socio Economical characteristics supplies the context of development that the population has today in the Project zone, their expectations and perception of the Project.

It is important to develop an organized plan of activities to create synergy between authorities, society and the mining company in such a way that it will meet these expectations, and have a sustainable development in the region, committed with the care of the environment and the
development of the community programs.

Have you actually seen the environmental impact study and the mitigation procedures?

Quote:
17.7.2 Environmental Impact Assessment

In 1997, an EIA was conducted, identifying key activities during each stage of the Project (site preparation, construction, operation and maintenance and closure). This assessment also considered key elements of the environment (climate, geology, soil, hydrology, flora, fauna,
socio-economic and landscape environmental factors), and its interactions that could result in environmental impacts.

The most significant environmental impacts identified for the Project were selected according to the criteria included in the LGEEPA, Article 3, Fraction IX This article says: “the impact resulting from the action of man or nature that causes alterations to the ecosystems and its natural resources, or in the human health, hindering the existence and development of man and other living beings, and the continuity of its natural processes.”

The identified significant environmental impacts were used to find the actions needed to prevent, mitigate, and/or compensate those specific negative impacts.

The results of the EIA are; twenty (20) significant environmental impacts that can be prevented, mitigated, and/or compensated with the execution of fourteen (14) proposed groups of actions; five (5) for prevention, eight (8) for mitigation and one (1) for compensation.

OK, lets see a show of hands. How many have read the technical report PRIOR to my posting the link here? Paul? Did you actually read it?

arrowhead
Banned

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Can always be counted on for sage advise... not

Elmer Fudd woke up from his afternoon nap. Did you see that wascally wabbit?

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 08:51 PM

If you think that a few hundred hectares carved out of a biosphere reserve for a cyanide leach pit goldmine won't cause a significant impact, think about what happens when a storm like hurricane Juliette comes along and dumps 20 inches of rain in 24 hours and overflows their containment ponds.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-25-2010 at 09:07 PM

Always count on you know who ... to be right on time... and not on target... :lol::lol:

trash trash and trash just can't keep it way ..... :lol::lol:

after thought... was going to say, mono... you just take the fun out of a thread...:):)

keep it up... elmer likes it.. :lol::lol:

[Edited on 2-26-2010 by wessongroup]

Also, Ahead you know my position on the report.. all ready said it was created by the Company's paid Environmental Consultant, Tetra Tech. Who created a sub entity to do this study, which was paid by Tetra Tech, who was in fact paid by the Developing entity.. at least that is the way I remember it... start to dig back through all that ... if I'm off base on who hit John I will stand corrected... but, that was what I read.. as to the Environmental Site Assessment or EIS or ESI or call it what you want.. they did !!

As to the over long term impact.. get we get boom town for what 3-5 years... thats in the report too... then what happens... you get a ghost town.. that is four to five times what was to start and now they have to take care of this extra.. cuz you got to have more... hell, lets put in a subdivision or two to take care of all those extra folks.. who will leave in 3-5 years .. leaving vacant house..

Yeah, I say some real "cracker jack" planning here... hell bet Trump is chasing this team down.. not

This was such a piece crap even the Mexican's wouldn't touch... they were getting screwed for 2,000 wedding rings.. :lol::lol:

And Jesse is absolutely correct also.. he was on target with the political aspect of the project, again just a super job by who ever that stupid mining Company was...

I'm very glad to see, that the Mexican people care enough for the land and their people to say no to a fast buck!!

We don't see it enough... and I liked the way it made me feel, and I'm not a Mexican, I'm a lowly gringo in their Country, and I appreciate their fine hospitality and just super way of living life the way it should .... With dignity, honor and pride..

Congratulations.... Mexico.. to me that is good news, in a place where folks don't have enough food lots of time.. no nothing.... and this... just super!!

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.