Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fish Habitat?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:08 AM
Fish Habitat?

This photo is from Ms Tioga and George blog post today from the pacific coast north of Acapulco. He says that the navy uses them for improving fish habitat. Anyone see these in Baja?
img][/img]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:22 AM

What are they??

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:38 AM

I wish they'd drop a few thousand of those out in front of the Bahia Concepcion. It may give the shrimpers some problems hauling in their nets. Are there any better pictures of them and what is the address of their site?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:42 AM

They look like precast concrete. Piled up in length they would make a great artificial reef. We could use a big pile of those right outside Marina La Salina!!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 10:10 AM

Russ: here is a link to George's blog:http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/
It's hard to get a feel for the size of these things but my guess is to opening is 18" or so. They can't be dumped overboard, they would need to be placed so the wide end would be on the bottom. Never saw these before but a good idea. On a lighter note; my landlord dumped a sh*tload of toilets about 300' off shore of our camp - makes a pretty good reef if you think about it. We call it 'China Bowl Reef'. First few years the bass tasted a little funny but no one notices it anymore....
tehag
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 11:01 AM
Reefs

When they dismantled the old salt-loading pier in GN, they dumped thousands of red roofing and drain tiles between and around the two concrete ship bumpers. This, along with a lot of steel machinery created a super lobster habitat. It also attracted grouper, cabrilla, octopus, eels, etc., etc.

Certainty is the child of ignorance, knowledge is the mother of doubt. Question everything!

http://bcsbirds.com
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 11:12 AM

Yes they appear man made, but if they were made for this use, and/or what material and/or materials is not completely clear.. they do look to be concrete.. just curious, they just jumped out at me... compared to the site's overall "look"... they do stick out, quite a contrast between man made..

If they were made for this purpose, it is an interesting concept.....

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 01:21 PM

Can't be any worse than catfish
Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Russ: here is a link to George's blog:http://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/
It's hard to get a feel for the size of these things but my guess is to opening is 18" or so. They can't be dumped overboard, they would need to be placed so the wide end would be on the bottom. Never saw these before but a good idea. On a lighter note; my landlord dumped a sh*tload of toilets about 300' off shore of our camp - makes a pretty good reef if you think about it. We call it 'China Bowl Reef'. First few years the bass tasted a little funny but no one notices it anymore....

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 02:25 PM

Anything like that will do the job,the followin is my reef I built off my dock up north.

And these guys could not wait to move in:lol:

[Edited on 2-28-2010 by baitcast]
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 07:39 PM

Those are some lunkers... really... fat suckers...:):)

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:01 PM

anything from brush piles to old tires...it's habitat and fish love it!....car bodys, toilets, old concrete, stumps, etc...it all works...ANYTHING is better than sand.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
torch
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 09:15 PM

when I was a kid my friends and I used to collect xmas trees and sink them with wieghts in the most unlikely fishable areas in our local lake. after a couple years we had the best honey holes. The hard part was to not to let every one see you fishing the hole
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 07:51 AM

I used to work on mine every year when they lowered the lake before the spring run-off,it was sand in every direction,a dead zone,after I finished up my dock became one of the better spots in 22 miles of shore-line.

The problem was everyone else learned of it:mad:

Chummed alot also which does help a little :lol:rigged up a sausage grinder so any trask fish or small perch ended in chum lines around the dock,ton of fun.
Rob
Tomol

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 03:44 PM

Many years ago there was a guy in (I think) Florida that would make those things out of your ashes (final remains) and dump them offshore. I don't know if he's still doing it.
TiogaRV

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 08:01 PM

Those concrete things that Santiago posted a picture of are about 3 feet in diameter at the base.

The guys stationed at the Mexican Naval Station, a few feet away from these concrete fish homes, told me that there are a bunch of these concrete things out in the bay near of the Village of Maruatta.

Santiago wanted to know how these concrete fish homes are deployed. I asked several people, and nobody knew the answer to this question.

People around here are very much into protecting wildlife. Giant turtles deposit their eggs on the beach. Great efforts are made to protect the baby turtles.

George

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 08:05 PM

Thanks George!!
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 10:32 PM

baitcast,
If you don't mind me asking what lake is that on?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 06:13 AM

The Sea of Cortez is loaded with natural habitat. The depleted fish stocks of reef fish are due to overfishing, not lack of habitat. Additional structures will help, but won't solve the problem.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.