Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Will this boat work?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 11:13 AM
Will this boat work?

Hi All,
I have an 800 lb 15.5 ft Calibogie self bailing fiber glass runabout boat powered by a 40 HP Tohatsu that does 30 knotts and will motor doing offshore fishing for six hours on six gallons of gas. The construction of the boat is similar to a Boston Whaler but my boat is not as bullet proof, weighs much less, and has a bit more freeboard.

The question is whether this boat will work for baja offshore fishing for yellow tail, tuna, and dorado in the La Paz and Loreto areas? Right now the boat has a two seater center console where the seats are low. Can't stand up and steer the boat, seats are too low. The boat would be perfect for a lake or the Chesapeake Bay. When the swells are larger than two and a half feet high, the boat has to slow down.

I am going to change the center console to a narrower single seater where I can stand up and steer.

Will this boat work for the kind of fishing I described above in La Paz or Loreto?
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 12:09 PM

...yup...just keep yer eye on the weather...you'll get lots and lots of days down here where that boat will be fine...you'll also get lots and lots of days down here where it should stay on the trailer.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 12:22 PM

No sweato, MitchMan..you can do it with that boat/motor.

I used a 14' cartopper Lund w/20 Merc for the first couple of years down here.

Had a blast with it..until it sunk one day coming back in a storm near San Marcos...

Well, maybe think about eventually getting a bigger boat, huh?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I used a 14' cartopper Lund w/20 Merc for the first couple of years down here.

Car-topping our old 14' Lund at San Roque.

Cartop.jpg - 36kB
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 03:18 PM

MitchMan -

I had a Hobie power skiff, 15 foot with 40hp. It was a great ocean performer in Southern California. It was a wet ride and great fun factor sitting so low in the water. Mine also had scuppers for self bailing.

Your boat was a copy of the Hobie from what I understand. Although mine would take the waves and swells easily, I would use caution going too far offshore. A good radio, GPS, and a buddy boat would provide lots of comfort.

I also had the tiny 2 person sit down bench seat, and no bait tank. It's a small boat but I wish I still had it.

Go and enjoy!
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 03:20 PM

I fish almost the same boat, a 16 ft copy of a whaler made at Ensenada Boat Works. With a 40hp tiller Suzuki it is scarey fast. My problem is very little freeboard at the stern, and no built in floatation. No self-bailing either. Out of La Salina, I just pick my days and watch the swells and wind. I would feel much safer in the relative calm of the SOC. With an eye for the wind, it will give many good days.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 2-28-2010 at 04:31 PM

Many people have been using 14' boats including myself for years,fished Carmen with a 12' porta-bote just use your head and have a good time.
Rob
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
Many people have been using 14' boats

Yea, I had a 14 ft SeaSkate with a 100 horse Merc back in the early 60s when combo was legal. Fast as hell until I sunk it in Salton Sea:biggrin:

Bob Durrell
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-1-2010 at 09:03 PM

It's like Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, " A man's got to know his limitations", know the weather and your boat and you will be OK. But get a spot personal tracker, for piece of mind.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 06:59 AM

Spot personal tracker:?:
Rob
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 01:07 PM

Hey, thanks for the great feedback. I feel much better now about using my boat in Baja, specifically La Paz. I have an 8 HP kicker motor that will go permanently on the boat. I plan on always having two way marine radio, a gps, and a fish finder on board. I am going to get rid of the low and wide center console and put a narrower and taller one in its place. If the chop is higher than 1 foot, I get really wet, but, with the warm baja water instead of the cold California Pacific water, not a problem getting wet.

What's a "spot personal tracker"?
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 01:34 PM

A personal locator. Hit the button to get help. Satelite tracking, people can see where you are online. Sends text as well I believe.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 01:55 PM

I have a similar boat and was going to put stanchions & canvas, it really wasn't needed. You will learn when to go out and when not. If it picks up when your out there you deal with it, the boat is not the weak point its the person driving. I wouldn't make any mod's until your here and see how you feel. The best rule that I have is get back by noon because you don't want to come into the La Paz channel with the tide going out and the afternoon northerlies. Unless you like surfing in on every wave.:O:O

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 05:16 PM

I did that surfing thing once in San Quintin. Wasn't pleasant, very treacherous with the narrow ingress to the river if you don't have experience with that channel.
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 08:52 PM

It's all about the conditions...This trip started at Puertacitas for the launch, then smooth water all the the way to Isla Miramar. We figured we'd turn around and hug shore if the wind kicked but after a full day of fishing the water was actually smoother coming home in the afternoon.

'83 Western 15' Side Console with Suzuki 40 h.p. and Kicker Mercury 4 h.p.

Backing the Western down the ramp...

Islands in the distance, great day!

Taking a break in the shade at the Island.

Head back for shore when the wind comes up otherwise have fun!

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 05:27 AM

Just got this. Put the transducer & temp prob on yesterday. 14' Duroboat w/ 15hp Honda. Hope to get it wet next week. I'm a little concerned about the tiny wheels on the trailer but that I can upgrade if needed.

[Edited on 3-5-2010 by Russ]

Red~2.jpg - 46kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 06:15 AM

russ...i have the same "tiny wheels" on our 15 foot "bay-boat"
no problems for a year but we don't take it away from the beach

you"ll see it tips up a little since the weight in in the back
i'mm thinking of putting the radio battery in the front

you need "wings" on the motor like i do to get it to "plane" faster
you won't believe the preformance differance in that size motor

and...where is the top!!!
the sun gets pretty brutal out there:saint::saint:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 06:37 AM

Bob and Susan, Good info, thanks.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.