BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: A perfect truck for Baja?
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 01:21 PM
A perfect truck for Baja?

I need some advice. My 4x4 '84 Blazer (S10) died last month and I need to replace it. I need some savvy and experienced advice.

I will be towing a small boat (1000 lbs with boat, motor and trailer) and fishing off Ceralvo Island (Jacques Cousteau Island), Bahia del Los Muertos (Bay of Dreams) and Punta Arena. Usually you have to travel a dirt road 3 miles to get the launching beach at the lighthouse (El Faro). I need a truck that can do the job in soft sand, dirt & mud (after a rain) and on sandy beaches.

I am very impressed with the 4 Cyl, 4x4 Toyota Tacoma, circa 1995 to 2001. Gets the best 4x4 gas mileage and is very reliable , I am told. I am only going to drive it a maximum of 6,000 miles a year and I am going to keep it in La Paz. Anyone know if the pre-Tacoma models of the 4 cyl Toyota Pickup or the Nissan 4x4, 4 cyl Pickup trucks will do the job (pre 1995)? I prefer the 4 cyl 4x4's beause of the great gas economy. I want something that they can readily fix in Baja, also.

Oh, yea, what's a "locking differential" and do the models that I mentioned above have it?

Any advice or recommendations?

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by MitchMan]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 02:17 PM

A locking differential is where the differential locks the left and right axles together, not allowing any slipping between the two tires... and thus both tires get equal torque to keep you moving.

An 'open' differential (normal differential) allows one tire to turn differently than the other... as needed in turns.. the outside tire needs to rotate more times than the inside tire.

When in a poor traction condition, such as up steep grades, sand, snow, mud or ice... one tire will often have less traction than another... and that 'free' tire will spin away... the other just stays stuck, and you don't move.

The locker will make both tires turn, (not just the free tire) and that helps you to move. The downfall is that steering is difficult and the truck wants to go straight with lockers... so, they should be unlocked as soon as the truck is moving. It is a nice tool to have, and I have used mine many times in Baja on my 2001 and 2005 Tacomas.

Limited Slip Differntials... They can be internal using clutches inside the differential itself or they can use the ABS brake system to slow down or lock the slipping tire(s).

The new Tacoma (2009 +) has limited slip 'TRAC' in 2 or 4-Hi and 'A-TRAC' in 4-Lo which gives the advantages of a locker by making both tires get torque, not just the free tires, but without the disadvantages of the locker tracking the truck in a straight line (dangerous on a narrow mountain road). I also still have the rear locker, just in case! Go Toyota!!

The rear locker was standard on all 'Off Road TRD' Tacomas (2WD and 4WD)... but not sure what year that began... Neal Johns older Tacoma is from the late 90's and has it...

[Edited on 3-3-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 05:33 PM

Here is a 3 min. video of a Toyota FJ Cruiser climbing a soft sand hill, using A-TRAC... which is very close to lockers front and rear... as you can see in a poor traction scenario that all four tires are working... true four wheel drive, not just one in the front and one in the rear. The tires are fully inflated as the object here was to show what tires received torque with the limited slip Active Traction Control, by watching the tires spin and kick up sand. :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHxslTiQug

[Edited on 3-4-2010 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-3-2010 at 09:10 PM

Ey, Mitchman!

The pre-Tacoma years were great for reliability. The 4X4 works decently if you are familiar with momentum and low air pressure. Mine is a real workhorse in hauling wood or getting around in the snow. But don't count on great fuel economy. Mine gets around 20 mpg.
BTW, we also have the same identical FJ cruiser (color and all) as in David's you tube. And the snow capability of the FJ is totally amazing. The street we live on has a 13% incline. We back the FJ to the middle of the street, and with the road being completely iced-over, the FJ climbs to the top of the hill with no wheel spin...amazing!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

k-rico
Super Nomad

lol.gif posted on 3-4-2010 at 07:24 AM
Perfect Baja Rig

baja_rig.jpg - 42kB

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 01:20 PM

Thanks a bunch, David. I have been looking for that info in a straight forward way for a long time. Many, many thanks.

Thanks Udo for the input on the pre-Tacoma 4 cyl 4x4 pickups. Do you think that if I were to get a 1988 Toyota 4 cyl 4x4 pickup in decent shape, that it would most likely be able to handle 1,000 lb boat with trailer on baja's sandy beaches and in mud after a rain?
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 01:25 PM

Mitchman...
In my opinion, the 4 cyl 1988 Toyota will definitely handle the 1000 trailer load.
The only thing I would add is a receiver hitch instead of using the bumper with a trailer ball.
My truck (157K miles) has hauled 3/4 of a cord of oak, and did not protest at all.
I now have a lumber rack on it and shlepped about 1200 lbs of lumber on it ok.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Heather
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 02:33 PM

My hubby has been driving around an '89 Toyota 4X4 for the last few years. Great engine although it's seen better days. Has some revving action going on, so he just uses it to haul around his welding gear. I think it's made 2 trips down to the tip and back. Don't think he's hauled anything behind it, but lots of stuff in the cab. We used to have a camper on it, so I remember a great camping trip out on the beaches near San Jose del Cabo, great 4X4 action!
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 04:28 PM

Did someone say '88 Toyota?

Purchased new, retired in Baja now for 15 years.

145,000 miles.

Lives in 4WD.

Pulls boats, Jet ski's, and stuck trucks on steep inclined beaches easily.

4 cyl., 5 speed, AC

The secret is 33" tires (BFG All Terrain of course) and airing them down to 5 pounds. Swear. They don't even leave a mark in the sand whether dry or wet sand.

[Edited on 3-4-2010 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 05:14 PM

Wow, this is perfect! Just what I wanted to hear. Done deal, I will getting one of these 4 cyl 4x4s very soon. Great tip on tires, BajaWarrior. Good pics too.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 05:17 PM

The Secret is that 'got baja?' sticker! :biggrin::cool:;D

[Edited on 3-5-2010 by David K]

scan0004r.JPG - 28kB

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 05:40 PM

David,

Speaking of which....Ahem...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 05:50 PM

Ya, well um... they are gone amigo... those were made in 2005, in Tijuana... hundreds went out! Glad they brought so many smiles to amigos de Baja Nomad!

BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ya, well um... they are gone amigo... those were made in 2005, in Tijuana... hundreds went out! Glad they brought so many smiles to amigos de Baja Nomad!

Thanks for the ones in the past!

taoswheat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 07:45 PM

I have had a 1986 Toyota 4WD Pickup with a 4 Cylinder engine for about the last 10 years. It has over 200,000 miles and still runs great. I use it to run around the sandy areas on the lake shore and to launch my 17' Bass boat. My boat and trailer probably hit 3000 pounds. I use 4WD Low anytime it is steep or sandy so I can get the torque that the little engine doesn't have in High gear. This is a Great truck for boat launching. I only have to go about 3/4 mile to the water so it doesn't get many miles per year anymore. I also have added a front hitch so I can push rather than pull the boat- much easier to maneuver. I also have a 10,000# hydraulic winch for those times that a good pull is needed. I usually use the winch to pull others out since I seldom get stuck.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 08:55 PM

I have 2 Toyota trucks -

1986 4X4 PU 22r carb 5 spd with 255K -original drive train-gets 20 -22 MPG lot's of torque. fine for pulling 1000 lb for short distances., Not suitable for long distance towing.

1993 4runner 4X4 3.0 V6 5 speed 175K gets 15-19 MPG and has NO torgue=gutless .

I would go for 96- current Tacoma 4 or 6 cylinder - both get decent mileage. Nissans are comparable..

My personal favorite .. 85-95 Ford F150 5.0 6 cyl with 4 speed granny gear- tranny!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-4-2010 at 09:14 PM
Perfect Truck for Baja?

Here's a Tundra with the A-TRAC system... showing that with only one tire (front) having traction, the truck can still move...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1MOEZYAv5Q

BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 12:33 AM

Times have changed a bit and I no longer bring a spare truck in my truck. For the last few years we've been driving some of the most common vehicles in BC,early push rod 4.0 V6 manual 5 speed ford explorers. Cheap, low tech, decent mileage, towing and easy to get parts. Are parts for the Toyotas readily available? I'm very interested in moving to FJ 62's for space, in the field serviceability and off road performance. Any advice?
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-5-2010 at 08:48 AM

Yes, even before Toyota was a legal import to Mexico (and now made in Baja) they were considered the Numero Uno 4WD small truck. There are many FJ-40 Land Cruisers owned by Mexicans as well. Parts (if they ever break) should be not a problem.

Jeeps are very popular too... many Cherokees in Baja.

acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 3-6-2010 at 07:28 AM

I know that you all are focused on the Toyoyas but I just thought I would mention something. I found out last summer that my F150 with 18" wheels has problems finding tires in La Paz, took me 2 afternoons (after fishing of course) to find new ones for a safe trip back to CO. Just something else to think about when planning the next trip.

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.