Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Need a winch
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 04:20 PM
Need a winch

I have a 1500 lb fiber glass outboard motor boat that I will be launching from beaches in Baja. Any recommendations on an electric 12 volt winch to pull the boat out of the water, up the wet sand and to the trailer? Brand? How many lbs capacity will do the trick?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 06:27 PM

Except for the portable ones and those used on ATVs I think about the smallest for a truck or SUV is 5000lbs. If you look around they are pretty in-expensive. Harbor Freight or look on ebay for the cheapest.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-30-2010 at 07:33 PM

Every man needs a Wench. :lol:
Desertbull
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 10:16 AM

I know of a couple wenches in Baja...:lol:

DREAM IT! PLAN IT! LIVE IT!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

You can have my ex-wife for free. I'd pay you to take her but she took all my money:lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 10:40 AM

Mitchman, assuming you can winch your boat along the sand, how do you intend to get it up off the ground and onto the bunks of the trailer? Where would the pivot point be? I don't see it as practical, but maybe there is a way. I'd love to know how it can be done.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 11:25 AM

Good point BajaBruno. Your right, I didn't think this thru. Obviously, I've never actually launched a boat from the beach. I mean, I obviously wasn't going to use the winch to launch the boat. I should have deducted that if I could launch the boat, why couldn't I retrieve it?

This brings up another issue that more experienced guys than me have figured out. Since using a winch doesn't provide for putting the boat on the trailer, launching a boat from the beach means that you have to limit the launching and retrieving of the boat in a part of the beach where the water is calm enough and there is sufficient traction and a low enough grade (even with a 4x4) to allow for backing the boat into and out of the water.

Sorry Nomads. Like Gilder Radner used to say, "nevermind".

[Edited on 3-31-2010 by MitchMan]
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 12:23 PM

One thing that does make it easier launching off a beach is to have a tilt trailer, sometimes you can launch to boat then can't retrieve it, but with the tilt trailer you can winch it up and onto the trailer. I have done this a few times with my tilt trailer.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-31-2010 at 05:06 PM

Quote:

With winches, bigger is better, and 5000 lb. is small
But no man wants a 5000 lb. wench
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-1-2010 at 09:03 AM

Comitan, will the tilt trailer technique work with a 1,500# boat?

MitchMan, the locals always find a way to launch their pangas (or, lanchas, in Shari terms), but that sometimes involves four or five guys rocking and pushing to get the boat off the trailer and into the water.

There are a couple of good Baja launch ramp books and articles, including this one, though it is a bit dated: http://www.mexfish.com/baja/baja/af011110/af011110.htm

The Pacific side seems to be more problematic than the SOC side, though with local knowledge and steely nerves, you can make it work.

Good luck.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Quote:

With winches, bigger is better, and 5000 lb. is small
But no man wants a 5000 lb. wench

priceless...truly priceless..

As for launching....there are several options. get a long extension made that goes between your truck and trailer. Mine is 20' extended and 10' shortened. This way you can keep your truck hi and dry and still put the trailer in the water. the second is a roller equiped tilt trailer....in this scenario you run you boat up the beach and then winch it by hand or my electric winch on to your triler....the third is to get as many locals as you can find and they will come up with some sort of solution for a few pacificos.
taoswheat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:41 PM

EZ Load trailers are neat.
http://www.ezloader.com/default.asp

Last year I saw an EZ Loader with a tilt rear in San Carlos. About a 23' boat. The guy single hand launched and retrieved at the marina ramp without getting the tires wet. Not as tough as the beach, but a neat demonstration.

[Edited on 5-23-2010 by taoswheat]
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:43 PM

I use an EZ loader by the way.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 03:46 PM

sometimes we push the lancha into the water with the truck with a tire between the fender and boat...the best way to pull it out is to have a big rope tied on...ya beach the boat....run up and hook the rope onto the truck hitch and signal your amigo to GO....then pull the boat up high and dry...then you can winch it onto the trailer later after a tecate. We find winching it up onto a trailer can be way too slow as here there is surf to contend with...ya gotta get er out of the water fast!!!!

We found those cheaper winches stripped real fast and werent worth it...ya need a decent one if you want it to last.

The extension idea is excellent and what the tractors have here that launch the lanchas.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 05:20 PM

Use spray silicone and apply to your carpeted bunks. Make the bunks nice and slick and easy for retrieval. One application last many launchings

[Edited on 5-24-2010 by BajaWarrior]

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-23-2010 at 05:42 PM

we used Graphite epoxy based paint with Teflon on our boats on the Kenai River when I used to guide a few years back and the boats would slip off the trailers and fall on the ground in they weren't strapped down tite. These were on 20' aluminum sleds that were 6' wide. Throw this stuff on your boat and it will not only be able to be easier to put on a trailer it will also go faster as this cuts down on the friction coeffienct between the boat and the water. The brand is Trilux.
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

We found those cheaper wenches stripped real fast and werent worth it...ya need a decent one if you want it to last.

I think this is just what DENNIS was trying to say :lol::lol::lol:

Bob Durrell
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by classicbajabronco
Throw this stuff on your boat and it will not only be able to be easier to put on a trailer it will also go faster as this cuts down on the friction coeffienct between the boat and the water. The brand is Trilux.

WD40 works the same way:yes:

Bob Durrell
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 02:02 PM

I wonder if WD40 works as a personal lubricant?? It seems to work for everything else....
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2010 at 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Quote:
Originally posted by shari

We found those cheaper wenches stripped real fast and werent worth it...ya need a decent one if you want it to last.

I think this is just what DENNIS was trying to say :lol::lol::lol:

What is "it" exactly?

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.