BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: My fishing tackle has corrosion!
Martyman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 12:17 PM
My fishing tackle has corrosion!

I'm not a very good fisherman. I have a large tackle box and after my last trip I threw it on the shelve in the garage.
Alright, I'm coming down next month, my family is sleeping or gone.
I'm gonna go thru my gear!
Most of my tadys, mirrolures, rapalas, yozuris, sumos, etc. have rusted hooks.
I'm cheap and lazy...I'll just sharpen them and ???
I heard something about putting baby powder in your tackle box to prevent rust but, baby powder on the mighty sea of cortez? What a wussy!
Do you fisherman care about rusty hooks? Should I rub them down with oil to inhibit the rust? I'm not going to change them all.
Thanks
Marty

[Edited on 4-10-2010 by Martyman]
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 01:33 PM

I'm glad to see you are not one to equivocate. If I sensed that you were waivering just a little bit I would be giving you a very stern warning. Nature is testing you. Do not touch anything! If you tried to change hooks (you sound like a guy who does not own a set of ring splitter pliers) you would surely put one through your thumb and then who the hell knows what could happen next. Stay focused on lure action and keep in mind the velocity of the lure and the fish in relationship to the tiny, grimey hook point. If you have to, wind on some new line, have two or three beers and know that you are ready to go get em.

[Edited on 4-10-2010 by Osprey]
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 01:40 PM

Lures with rusty hooks are no good.
They may break from metal deterioration and/or your fish will die of lead poisoning.
They could also give you lock-jaw if you get stuck by one.
They are a hazard to you and the fish.
Send them to me with $5 each and I will gladly dispose of them for you.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 01:58 PM

Martyman, It's no big deal. If you cast/drag 'em enough, they'll come clean. And the fish?:spingrin:
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 02:48 PM

Spray WD on them before you store your tackle box, try for just the hook a little on the lure won't hurt though.
If the rust is just surface rust and hasn't weakend the metal then just sharpen them, at least thats always worked for me.

Live Indubiously!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 03:08 PM

Step 1. Buy new hooks. The ONLY real way to prepare lures in that condition is to REPLACE the hooks 100%. It is a cheap investment for success.

Step 2. Just put them in a cup of plain vinegar for a few minutes and then wipe off with a paper towel and rinse with fresh water. It will take most of the rust off and have them looking pretty good in just a few minutes.

Step 3. Buy a few spray bottles of Salt-EX for your tackle box and boat. Spray every peice of metal you can see.

Step 4. Buy a rust proof tackle box. Spray everything in it weekly with WD-40..a proven fish attrractant. Great Lakes guide boats have been using it on thier lures for a long time, and I followed suit around 1980.

Step 5. If you are giving up the game, or have already caught the always fatal rustaphobia flesh-rotting disease, I can accept the lures as a memorial to you. PO Box 91, Mulege, BCS, Mexico.

Step 6. If you hate the smell of vinegar, Salt-EX , & WD-40, buy a six-pack and revert to Step 1.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 03:25 PM

Marty, the anal retentive ones are not to blame. It is not their fault. They live their whole lives that way. iflyfish can tell you how that happened. Don't let it happen to you this late in the game. What is WD40? Some kind of medicine?

[Edited on 4-10-2010 by Osprey]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 03:33 PM

osprey...how old are you?

its been around since 1953

i think it will EVEN cure the common cold :lol:

marty...don't "cheap out" get some new hooks

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 03:58 PM
WD40

In the boat:
Spray down each lure, hook, and swivel that's laying around or strung out on the rods after each trip (after the siesta, of course :spingrin:.)

Tackle box:
Spray down each article before putting it back in the box. It's amazing what that shiny hook you put in will look like a year later. Get a tackle box with removable plastic compartments that seal. If you accidentally get some splash into an open box it can wipe out your entire arsenal.

I think there's better stuff now but WD40 has worked so well for so long I've stopped experimenting.
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 04:20 PM
What does WD-40 stand for?

No fair looking it up.

Who knows what WD 40 stands for and why it is called WD 40?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
No fair looking it up.

Who knows what WD 40 stands for and why it is called WD 40?

It stands for "water displacement". 40 was the number of the batch before it worked satisfactorily.....otherwise it might have been called "WD1"....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 07:08 PM

So, do I win something?......perhaps a $2 trophy and the admiration of my peers?.......or maybe I was wrong...:wow::wow:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 07:21 PM

I have heard (and remember, unfortunately) that:--------WD-40 was developed by (hold on to your hat) the ROCKET CHEMICAL COMPANY, in a garage in San Diego long, long ago. Needless to say the Company grew after that, and changed their name. :spingrin:

Barry
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 07:30 PM
Got WD-40???

http://www.wd40.com/files/pdf/wd-40_2042538679.pdf

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 07:49 PM
#39 really caught my eye.

WD-40. Who knew? I had a neighbor who had bought a new pickup. I got up very early one Sunday morning and saw that someone had spray painted red all around the sides of this beige truck (for some unknown reason). I went over, woke him up, and told him the bad news. He was very upset and was trying to figure out what to do probably nothing until Monday morning, since nothing was open. Another neighbor came out and told him to get his WD-40 and clean it off. It removed the unwanted paint beautifully and did not harm his paint job that was on the truck. I'm impressed!

WD-40 who knew? 'Water Displacement #40' The product began from a search For a rust preventative solvent and degreaser to protect missile parts. WD-40 was created in 1953 by three technicians at the San Diego Rocket
Chemical Company. Its name comes from the project that was to find a water displacement' compound.. They were successful with the fortieth formulation, thus WD-40. The Convair Company bought it in bulk to protect their atlas missile parts.

Ken East (one of the original founders) says there is nothing in WD-40
that would hurt you. When you read the ' shower door' part, try it. It's
the first thing that has ever cleaned that spotty shower door. If yours
is plastic, it works just as well as glass. It's a miracle! Then try it
on your stove top ... Viola! It's now shinier than it's ever been.
You'll be amazed.

Here are some other uses:_

1. Protects silver from tarnishing.*

*2. Removes road tar and grime from cars....*

*3. Cleans and lubricates guitar strings....*

*4. Gives floors that 'just-waxed' sheen without making them slippery.*

*5. Keeps flies off cows.*

*6. Restores and cleans chalkboards.*

*7. Removes lipstick stains.*

*8. Loosens stubborn zippers.*

*9. Untangles jewelry chains.*

*10. Removes stains from stainless steel sinks.*

*11. Removes dirt and grime from the barbecue grill.*

*12. Keeps ceramic/terra cotta garden pots from oxidizing.*

*13. Removes tomato stains from clothing....*

*14. Keeps glass shower doors free of water spots.*

*15. Camouflages scratches in ceramic and marble floors.*

*16. Keeps scissors working smoothly.*

*17. Lubricates noisy door hinges on vehicles and doors in homes.*

*18. It removes black scuff marks from the kitchen floor! Use WD-40 for those nasty tar and scuff Marks on flooring.... It doesn't seem to harm the finish and you won't have to scrub nearly as Hard to get them off.
Just remember to open some windows if you have a lot of marks.*

*19. Bug guts will eat away the finish on your car if not removed quickly! Use WD-40!*

*20. Gives a children's playground gym slide a shine for a super fast slide.*

*21. Lubricates gear shift and mower deck lever for ease of handling on riding mowers.*

*22. Rids kids rocking chairs and swings of squeaky noises.*

*23. Lubricates tracks in sticking home windows and makes them easier to open.*

*24. Spraying an umbrella stem makes it easier to open and close.*

*25. Restores and cleans padded leather dashboards in vehicles, as well as vinyl bumpers.*

*26. Restores and cleans roof racks on vehicles.*

*27. Lubricates and stops squeaks in electric fans*

*28. Lubricates wheel sprockets on tricycles, wagons, and bicycles for easy handling.*

*29. Lubricates fan belts on washers and dryers and keeps them running smoothly.*

*30. Keeps rust from forming on saws and saw blades, and other tools..*

*31. Removes splattered grease on stove.*

*32. Keeps bathroom mirror from fogging.*

*33. Lubricates prosthetic limbs.*

*34. Keeps pigeons off the balcony (they hate the smell).*

*35. Removes all traces of duct tape.*

*36. Folks even spray it on their arms, hands, and knees to relieve arthritis pain.*

*37. Florida 's favorite use is: 'cleans and removes love bugs from grills and bumpers..'*

*38. The favorite use in the state of New York , WD-40 protects the Statue of Liberty from the elements.*

*39. WD-40 attracts fish. Spray a little on live bait or lures and you will be catching the big one in no time. Also, it's a lot cheaper than the chemical attractants that are made for just that purpose. Keep in mind though, using some chemical laced baits or lures for fishing are not allowed in some locations.*

*40. Use it for fire ant bites. It takes the sting away immediately and stops the itch.*

*41. WD-40 is great for removing crayon from walls. Spray on the mark and wipe with a clean rag.*

*42. Also, if you've discovered that your teenage daughter has washed and dried a tube of lipstick with a load of laundry, saturate the lipstick spots with WD-40 and rewash. Presto! The lipstick is gone!*

*43. If you sprayed WD-40 on the distributor cap, it would displace the moisture and allow the car to start.*

P. S. The basic ingredient is FISH OIL.

Edited to say this was emailed to me earlier today. I did not write the comments. It is probably making the email rounds.

[Edited on 4-11-2010 by toneart]

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 08:08 PM

Ok, great, now we know all the possible uses and all the history. I got the answer right without googleing it. What's my prize? Where'd you go Howard?

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

thumbup.gif posted on 4-10-2010 at 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Ok, great, now we know all the possible uses and all the history. I got the answer right without googleing it. What's my prize? Where'd you go Howard?

Yes, you were quite right! You have the prize of my admiration and a half used can of WD 40...maybe some beer if you stop by Mulege.
Saludos,
Tony

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 09:20 PM

As I take each lure, trolling rig, or whatever off the line, I throw it in a bucket on the boat. if I want to use it again later, I fish it out (pun intended). When I get back to the casita and shower, I give the lures, rods, reels, and anything else in the bucket a good soapy wash and rinse. Then they go on the porch table to dry.

I can't say I'm a wonderful fisherman either, but my stuff is clean and shiny. :)

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2010 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot

Yes, you were quite right! You have the prize of my admiration and a half used can of WD 40...maybe some beer if you stop by Mulege.
Saludos,
Tony

I have WD40 in every cabinet and corner so I don't need any more. Beer? that's another story all together, I'd love to stop by for a beer. I will be coming through Mulege on my way South soon, u2u me with your location and I will stop by....dt

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 4-11-2010 at 05:34 AM

it's not "fish oil"
just a petroleum product

and it doesn't work on spray paint after the paint "sets-up"

for that you need "grafitti wipes"
sold at ALL southern california hardware stores
they NEED it there:O:O

they sell wd40 here in mulege by the case

[Edited on 4-11-2010 by Bob and Susan]

graffitiwipes.jpg - 10kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.