BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Best Dining in Rosarito?
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 03:26 PM
Best Dining in Rosarito?

Looking for some fine dining in Rosarito...not a taco stand (though that is the best eating). Reviews I found on Chabert's were great service, food is terrible. Recommendations or suggestions?

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 03:28 PM

El Nido used to be good. ??????
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 03:31 PM

El Nido!!!!!!!!!

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 03:36 PM

Half Way House (close to the Pyramid)!

A history of "Medio Camino"

http://books.google.com/books?id=35WQOduN1F4C&pg=PA89&am...

[Edited on 4-14-2010 by tripledigitken]
knuckles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:11 PM

Le Bistro Cousteau. Consistantly Special. IMHO
Dave
Elite Nomad

thumbup.gif posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:13 PM
I'll second the Half-Way house

Also in Rosarito...Susanna's. http://susannasinrosarito.com/

Don't quite know what the attraction is for El Nido. I've never had a good meal there. The meats are all over-cooked and you leave smelling like you've been sitting around a campfire.

I haven't been to Chabert's in about a year but the food was always good. Killer Caesar salad.

Splash...just north of the Half-Way house does seafood pretty well.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:16 PM

Chabert's if you can get over the feeling like you're dining in your great grandmothers parlor room.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by knuckles
Le Bistro Cousteau. Consistantly Special. IMHO

Le Cousteau can be really good or bad. If the owner is in the kitchen the food's excellent.

Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Chabert's if you can get over the feeling like you're dining in your great grandmothers parlor room.

The bar more than makes up for the dining room. Unfortunately, it's rarely open.

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Don't quite know what the attraction is for El Nido.

Last time I was there, none of these other places existed. It's a "Remember when" thing, I guess.
bajabound2005
Ultra Nomad

Mood: words cannot describe...

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:40 PM

where is Le Cousteau? Halfway House, etc., all sound great but we are looking for something IN Rosarito so we don't have to drive far.

Friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:45 PM

Here's the same question asked five years back:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=12433#pid1020...

Page two gets pretty snarky...Gull and JR going at each other.
See ???? Nothing has changed.

[Edited on 4-14-2010 by DENNIS]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:45 PM

Starting from North Rosarito going south through the central area of the city and then further south about three miles past the Rosarito Beach Hotel:

Los Pelicanos, part of the El Nido family restaurant group. Beachfront dining with straightforward grilled fish and meat dishes and Mexican entrees. Solid bar. Gringo prices, i.e., $50 pesos for a Margarita.

La Estancia, off the beaten path, halfway down a ocean-going side street. Beautiful rustic-style building with the meats on offer proudly displayed in the entry butcher counter. Extensive menu of steaks, pork and lamb, fresh seafood and Mexican entrees. Very good food with excellent service presented in a formal, old-fashioned style (big heavy pewter plates with a flaming pile of kosher salt accompanying the entree. I have always enjoyed and been pleased by the grilled salmon, seafood combination and lamb entrees.

That's Amore, across the street from the ??? Hotel in mid-town Rosarito. Carlos is a genius with Italian fresco style and serves the best tiramisu I have ever had.

Skip El Nido and Chabert, go south to Tapanco, about three miles south of the Rosarito Beach Hotel on the free road, just past the signal light for Ejido Mazatlan (Look for the second big red and white OXXO billboard on the ocean side of the road. Tapanco shares the property line with OXXO on the south. Offering mesquite grilled steaks, lamb, venison, quail and fish, this is El Nido (same family ownership) without the tourists or the attitude of the fossilized, union membership waiters. Same superb quality of ingredients and preparation at gentler prices -- a local's insider place. Beautiful rustic rustic building and decor with an enclosed first-floor dining patio and a second floor ocean view area.

[Edited on 4-15-2010 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 04:56 PM

Suzanna's was very good and was open the last time I was there a couple of months ago. Now, I have never gotten a bad meal at El Nido in Rosarito and really like there breaksfast also. I also like the Tamale for breakfast also very good. I have not tried the Tapanco but will this next month when I go back down. Later---------- bajafun777

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 05:22 PM
It's The Mesquite

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Also in Rosarito...Susanna's. http://susannasinrosarito.com/

Don't quite know what the attraction is for El Nido. I've never had a good meal there. The meats are all over-cooked and you leave smelling like you've been sitting around a campfire.

I haven't been to Chabert's in about a year but the food was always good. Killer Caesar salad.

Splash...just north of the Half-Way house does seafood pretty well.

Didn't matter whether it was San Felipe or Loreto, either. I guess they never invested in proper ventilation.
skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 05:37 PM

I have to agree with Jan on her choices
Tapanco which has a new big sign that says "Why Not" that the owner is found of saying is one of the best. I love the cream based soups that come with the meals there and the made at your table fresh salsa. Los Pelicinos has the same menu only they serve a bean soup instead. Los Pelicinos just started serving salad the way that they do El Nido and Tapanco but will still make the Cesear salad if you ask.

We have had many good meals at That's Amore. I still dream about the Pork Milinease I had there a couple months ago.

Le Cousteau has never let us down. The Almond Sole and there Sea Bass is absolutely divine. A little more on the pricey side but great service and live calm dinner music.

La Estancia serves a great tortilla soup with there meals and has a lodge feel (animals mounted on walls!) I really like the carne asada here.

Chamberts is good, but I always walk away feeling a bit disappointed. Food is good and I agree best Cesear salad around but it just seems so formal and so not Mexico. It is also considerably more expensive than all the for mentioned places.

We have not gone to Splash so that is on our agenda for this weekend!
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 05:41 PM
Ventilation at Tapanco is Excellent

And you can always chose to sit outside.

—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Didn't matter whether it was San Felipe or Loreto, either. I guess they never invested in proper ventilation.

I'd probably overlook it if the food was good. But it ain't. La Estancia is a carbon copy although maybe just a cut above.

Jan, thanks for reminding us about That's Amore. Really good Italian.

Bajabound, I'd seriously consider Susanna's. Beautiful atmosphere and good food. It's in the Puebla Plaza about three blocks north of the RBeach hotel. Same side.

Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 06:15 PM
By the Way (BTW) - Splash is an Excellent Dining Choice

But the OP (Original Poster) was asking about fine dining in Rosarito central, and Splash is about sixteen miles south

That being said, a few weeks ago I had the most amazing fresh black cod dinner. The center cut fillet weighed at least one pound and was perfectly cooked. The meal came with chips and salsa, soup and salad, baked potato and fresh veggies (not out of a bag, but hand-cut fresh).

I think my feast cost $12.95 U.S. I know that the leftovers were enough for two more meals.

The building and location is beautiful, right on the oceanfront. Dine outside on the sand under the umbrellas, or sit inside and enjoy the ocean-view dining room.

The guitarist is terrific (sorry, is it Alejandro?) and the margaritas are large and strong, be careful.

—Mark Twain

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
knuckles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-14-2010 at 08:24 PM

Bajabound.....

Le Cousteau is right in the middle of town, across from Charley Burgers. We went to That's Amore two weeks ago. Carlos is a great guy, but the food was not so good that night.

Does anyone know...does Splash serve lobster? We have a yen and really don't enjoy Puerto Nuevo. Any suggestions?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.