Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Route suggestions
Trentsky

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 08:46 AM
Route suggestions

Decided to hit up the experts rather than "know it all"
Planning a trip from SD to Cabo. Like to take about 10 days. Going on 2 wheels on an enduro with two others and their bikes.
Moderate experience. Not looking to "rip up" Baja doing indo's of the hillside rather adventure travel on two wheels.
Want to stay off the beaten path as much as possible.
I have no problem roughing it (but will always welcome a bed and a shower) and have extensive survival training in case of an emergency.
Will have a sat phone. Any comments on standard cell phone service on the penusala?

I've read several of the trip reports but don't see one on a two wheel off-road type trek. Can anyone recomend one?

I have the Baja Atlass on the way and land navigation is not a problem.

Any recomendations on a route that will adventurous but passes a gas station and a little civilization every couple hundred miles?
Thanks
Trentsky
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 08:48 AM

Welcome to BajaNomad, Trentsky. Have a great trip.

Someone will be along shortly to give you info.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 08:53 AM

Welcome to Nomadlandia Trentsky...you will get lots of great advice here that will really help you plan your trip. There are several bikers on this forum too. We are getting lots of bikers who enjoy the coast road from here(Bahia Asuncion) to Abreojos and there is gas, food and lodging all along the route. Here are the last guys to blaze through...from Ontario Canada!!! Have a super ride amigo.

I would pick up a cheap $40 telcel mexican cel phone that comes with 100 pesos of minutes...they work all along the peninsula and in the more remote areas and you can get phone card everywhere.

[Edited on 4-27-2010 by shari]

DSC05104.JPG - 42kB

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 08:56 AM

Here is an excellent guide by a writer for Rider Magazine.

http://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Journeys-Through-Clement-Sa...
Trentsky

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 09:06 AM

thanks tripledigitken.
$8.01 on amazon, just purchased..
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 09:19 AM

follow the path these guys took, but at a reasonable pace

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=45401
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 10:19 AM

When would you be doing this? What kind of bikes are you riding? I will assume 4 strokes? You'll need desert gas tanks 3.5 to 4 gallons minimum. I suggest you carry at least a gallon of gas with you. Plus the usual tools and tube patching stuff etc. I also suggest you keep your tires aired hard 20 psi front and 15 rear minimum, more if the bike handles OK. It's not the nail or catus that will get you but a P-nched tube from hitting a rock hard. There are many routes to go on. What experience do you have in Baja? Get a Baja map and Baja Almanac and a GPS to take along. That way you'll always know where you are. I suggest you start in Tecate. If someone is dropping you off probably Rancho Santa Veronica is a good place to start. It's east of Tecate. Will you have a chase truck if so that makes the routes much better since gas won't usually be a problem. If you don't speak spanish take a small dictionary and learn some words and phases that will help you when needed.

I suggest down the Compadre trail to hwy 3 at KM50 and to KM 138 turn off to Mikes Sky Rancho for the night. Back out and over to San Felipe and down the hwy or sand road thru Puertecitos, Gonzaga Bay to Cocos Corner (have a beer and rest). Cocos is a bikers best friend. Around by Calamajue and out to El Crucero. Sand road to BOLA hwy to LA Bay. Overnight.

South by San Francisquito and rest a little. You can come back thru by Pozo Aleman another AB gold mine thru El Arco and south to hwy 1 to San Ignacio. If you need gas you can go to Vizcaino from El Arco then hwy south.

Here is where you may want to do a west route from Vizcaino west to Bahia Tortugas and further up to Punta Eugenia. Along the way is a turn off at San Jose de Castro to Playa Malarrimo where all the stuff washes up on the beach. A fun spot to camp and explore. Don't get stuck in the mud east of there in the marsh. Or just past San Jose de Castro go south to Bahia Asuncion where Shari can put you up to rest and fish. Then around to hwy 1 or the cut over at San Angel to San Ignacio.

From San Ignacio out to the ocean and south. The costal route goes by El Datil and the inner route by El Cuarenta. Both come together to take you to San Juanico. May be gas there if so it'll be in a barrel. South to La Purisima. There is gas there in barrels. In many of these places just ask around for the Gasolina.

Decision decision. You have a choice go thru La Purisma to hwy 1 and down to lereto or go south from La Purisima to Constitucion then on to Santa Rita and out to the coast and follow it down to Todos Santos then hwy to Cabo.

Or from Lereto over to Mission San Javiar and west to Santo Domingo and Insurgentes and hwy 1 south.

Coming back up I suggest taking the rurn off at Santa Rosalillita and follow the coast up to Punta Canoas then over to hwy 1 at Guayaquil. There is an inland route at hwy 1 KM 103 that goes north called R Los Martires. How ever if you are not familar with the area you may not want to do it. But it would be an adventure.

At Camilu take the coastal route up to Sant Tomas. Hwy 1 to Uruapan then off road to Ojos Negro to El Compadre and back to Santa Veronica.

There are several routes to take and much depends on your riding endurance more than ability. Most of the routes are not difficult just sand roads for the most part with a few rocks thrown in.

I've just touched on some routes etc if you want more detail or info on various routes and areas let me know. Also the NORRA 1000 race starts this week go to their web site and check out the race course they will use.
http://www.norra.com it is some of what I mentioned above.

There is cell phone coverage in most larger cities but out in the wilds you would need the sat phone.

[Edited on 4-27-2010 by TW]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 10:30 AM

TW

The gulf route is going to get very hot very soon. Caution is a good recommendation
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
TW

The gulf route is going to get very hot very soon. Caution is a good recommendation

I agree 100%. If they don't go soon they may want to wait till later in the year or stick to pacific side.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 10:42 AM

another biker group went through Sta.Rosalillita and reported that there is a new little motel there which is great news...look up Martin Arce, our cousin and he'll treat ya right!!

Trentsky

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 10:56 AM

Wow, you guys are great. Thanks TW. It's fantastic to see a community that supports each other. Haven't really experienced it since the military. Planning on mid may before hurricane season.
Anwers on a few questions:
Riding a DRZ 400, as of now. I think it's the horse I'm going to count on. Holds 2.64 gallons. SOunds like you recomend an upgrade.

I will not have a chase truck. Thanks for the Tecate recomendation. I've been considering it since dreading TJ. WIll probably go that route.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 11:10 AM

most small villages and even fish camps usually have gas they will sell you...just ask as sometimes you might not recognize a "gas station"...it could be just a drum beside someone's shack. And if you do run out of gas....well...it will be a baja adventure...hmmm...maybe a bigger tank IS a good idea?

(check your U2U message....which is found up in the top right corner of this page...just click on it.)

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 11:33 AM

Definitely get a desert/oversized tank. you will be happy you did.

and Shari... there are 50 million(well not quiet that many) Arce's up and down the coast!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 11:48 AM

yeah but there is only one Martin Arce in rosalillita and everybody knows him!!!

TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 12:26 PM

Try ADV Rider to get some detailed recommendations regarding two wheel adventure riding as opposed to the more typical totally offroad stories you often see. Here's their URL:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/index.php :yes:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trentsky
Wow, you guys are great. Thanks TW. It's fantastic to see a community that supports each other. Haven't really experienced it since the military. Planning on mid may before hurricane season.
Anwers on a few questions:
Riding a DRZ 400, as of now. I think it's the horse I'm going to count on. Holds 2.64 gallons. SOunds like you recomend an upgrade.

I will not have a chase truck. Thanks for the Tecate recomendation. I've been considering it since dreading TJ. WIll probably go that route.

Yes you will need a bigger tank. You need at least 150-200 mile range. Standard desert tanks are around 4 gallons. You need that plus carry at least a gallon in jugs or get a bigger tank if available. I know guys that run a 6 or 7 gallon tanks. Makes the bike top heavy so many guys don't like it.

I retired April 1st and plan on prerunning much of the Baja 500 but if you need a chase truck to follow for a while let me know I'm interested. I'm going down tomorrow to chase and pit 6 bikes in the NORRA 1000. Perhaps we could discuss this early next week if you want.

A little background info on me. I've been going to Baja since 1978. Raced in Baja on a bike from 1987 to 1993. Did the 90 and 91 Baja 500 solo. Sponsored "TnT Racing" Tim Morton from 1992 thru 1994 and helped him in 95 and 96. He won two SCORE class 21 championships. Tim's web site is http://www.bajaboundmoto.com he does Baja bike tours now. I Presently help chase and pit Paul Lopez (Tunaeater on Nomads) I've been up and down Baja on a motorcycle and a 4x4 many times and there are still places I've never been but what to go, especially Baja Sur. I also like to surf fish.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 06:55 PM

TW

Come visit us in Abreojos, especially during one of the races. Fish and race.. you can't beat it. goes for you guys too Trentsky.

Rafael
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2010 at 10:06 PM

Here you go: http://www.bajagpsguide.com

Volume I goes as far as San Ignacio, off road... with many rides in Northern Baja

Volume II is an e-book and takes the rider all the way down!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BAJA GPS GUIDEBOOK V1
For the most part, this guide will lead you through some really awesome trails avoiding ranch gates (where possible) and keeping you off private property and national parks (where you shouldn't be anyway). There is an environmental section with warnings and the usual "give a hoot, don't pollute" speech that we hope to cultivate no matter where you are riding. We list the best places on the border to take your broken bikes and bodies, but don't look to the guide for pansy-butt four-star luxuries unless you're looking for where to get the coldest Negra Modelo!

This guide was formulated to get you off the main dirt roads and onto the fun stuff like faded two track, dry washes & rivers, single track, no tracks, mountains, beaches, deserts, Baja 1000 courses and Baja 500 routes, YOU NAME IT; by providing Baja GPS routes. Some routes are point-to-point and some are loops that will return you to your starting point. You can plan day trips, weekends, weeks, or months with this GPS guide.
Included in Volume 1:
•Instruction on Global Positioning System navigation with the guidebook
•58 GPS routes from the border to San Ignacio - Northern Baja
•Written Course Descriptions with mileage and waypoints
•GPS Routes and Waypoints (for your GPS)
•Topographical log map - each "leg" is shown in a different color (design new routes every time by linking different legs to new areas). You can design hundreds of different one-way or loop routes.
•Skill level Ratings from basic to expert (1 to 6+)
•Warnings and special tips
•About the starting and ending destinations
•Information on Baja, politics, and staying out of trouble
•Gasoline locations
•Needed equipment
•Water concerns
•Environmental Issues & respecting Baja as an off roader
•Yellow Pages with border hospitals & off-road connections in the USA
•About upcoming GPS navigation events in Baja
•And some pretty funny stories and photos (color and black & white)

The Guidebook Tab Names:
•Border Crossings
•Bahia de Los Angeles
•Catavina
•Gonzaga
•Highway 1
•Laguna Hanson
•Mike's Sky Rancho
•Mine/Calamajue Junction
•Ojos Negros
•Puertecitos
•Rancho La Ponderosa
•San Felipe
•San Francisquito
•San Ignacio
•San Matias
•San Vicente
•Santa Veronica
•Santo Tomas
•Valle de Trinidad
•Yellow Pages

How it comes:

•8 1/2 X 11 Size
•Shrunk wrapped with 3-ring binder holes (buy your own binder)
•Each tabbed section represents a starting location, which is separated by tabs for easy use
•58 Course description charts have waypoint names, mileage, and descriptions and are designed to fit on the handlebars (see 5X7 Course Holders).
•238 pages of everything an off-roader would need to know about traveling Baja, learning to use the GPS with the guidebook (also see GPS Cheat Sheets for Garmin or Magellan), photos and stories, and 58 GPS routes that can be inter-connected making up hundreds of different loops and routes
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The V2 Guidebook is a supplement to V1 and is an E-book (a book on CD). You'll print the book and add it to Volume 1. You will have preference on paper type, font, size, colors, and there will be a plethora of suggestions that will make this version extremely flexible for your needs. You must have V1 to understand, use, and organize V2 (it adds routes to the guidebook). For information on V1, hover over Products above > About Volume 1.

Volume 2 will include NEW routes in the NORTH from:
Rancho Santa Veronica
Rancho Tecate
Mikes Sky Rancho
San Vicente
San Quintin

It will also add "THE VISCIOUS CIRCLE" ( CENTRAL BAJA ):
Puertecitos to Catavina (over the Mnt. single track)
Catavina to El Rosario (single track on west coast)
El Rosario to Puertecitos (gnarly rocky 2-track to gnarly rocky single track)
*or reverse these routes!

SOUTH:
Where V1 stopped at San Ignacio, routes continue south to Cabo leaving:
San Ignacio (awesome RTE you probably don't know- 2-track & single track)
San Juanico
Mulege
Loreto
Ciudad Constituction
La Paz
La Ventana
Todos Santos
Cabo San Lucas
*the last three make a loop so you don't have to backtrack!

Between the two guidebooks, the entire Peninsula is covered from tip to tail with many options to construct hundreds of different trips for 'years' of riding. V2 also offers new stories, photos, and information.

[Edited on 4-28-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2010 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
TW

Come visit us in Abreojos, especially during one of the races. Fish and race.. you can't beat it. goes for you guys too Trentsky.

Rafael

Thanks, I'll do that now that I've got the time.
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2010 at 07:12 AM

Trent,

I would definitely buy a 4 gallon tank for Baja. I've used IMS tanks in the past: https://www.imsproducts.com/Cart/viewcart.cfm

May is a good month for riding Baja, but will be warm on the Cortez side. I think you would enjoy going south from San Felipe through Gonzaga, Coco's Corner (left) through Calamajue Canyon out to Hwy. 1. You can then cut through the dirt or take the highway into LA Bay. Then south to San Francisquito, back out through El Arco and into Guerrero Negro or cut south to Vizcaino. Then west from Vizcaino out to Asuncion and then south along the coast. From there I would go through San Ignacio down to Scorpion Bay (San Juanico). From there just keep heading south to La Paz and then Cabo. I'm not familiar with the dirt down in the most southern section.

I also have some of the Score Baja 1000 GPS routes if you want them. Are you carrying a GPS? Good luck and have fun! Don't forget extra tubes......and take lots of pics to post a trip report!!!!!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.