BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: Ford or Toyota - Which would you buy?
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 09:07 PM
Ford or Toyota - Which would you buy?

I hear the Toyota gets better mileage than the F250. Anyone have anything to add?

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 09:12 PM

Which Toyota?

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Which Toyota?

The guy that bought my Kayak today had a Tundra, and it looked comfortable and lighter weight, but with an IFS suspension. Nice looking pickup.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-11-2010 at 10:55 PM

Please.... look at Nissan!
Bob H
bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:59 AM

I had a Tundra 4X4 for seven years...and 160K miles on it and I would have bought another one just like it in about a half second...best truck I ever saw....not even a squeek after about 20 trips down the "road" from Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay. But the new Tundra, built after 2007, ain't the same machine...I have buddies who tell of rattles and stuff falling off..like the radiator which apparently is hung with ABS brackets instead of steel. I also think Toyota decided they needed to compete in the urban cowboy market with big Dodges. The only thing missing on the new Tundra is a bull's horn on the hood and his balls on the hitch.

So I bought a F150 Lariat 4X4. I found out that the 2010 F150 ain't the old 150....it's bigger and it has a bunch of stuff that used to be on the F250...coil overs and 18 inch disc brakes in front and overload springs and disc brakes in back. They also are welded to da max...no cheezy tack welds or rivets in cross members etc.

I have taken the truck on one trip so far south of Puertecitos and it handled That Road better than the Tundra did....if that's possible. Both are superb on the washboard. I drove at 35 mph + where it was safe and no problemas. Our F150 is a super crew cab and a five foot bed....my "Boss" (AKA wife) observed sweetly that all her girl stuff should go inside the new big back cab and we, therefore, didn't need the old log bed and camper shell...true.

The F150 also has lots of goodies that you can't get on the Tundra Limited....Toyota has always been a little slow and thin on the luxuries. The F150 Lariat we have is, in essence, a Lincoln inside....incredible stuff on the Serius and Sync systems etc. I am a pilot and I can call up the Weather Map on the GPS screen and see all the fronts, isobars and weather radar while I'm driving to the airport...no need to call some goofball gummint type who can't read for a "briefing" anymore.

Anyhow, after seven years of loving a Toyota....which came after firing Ford in the mid 1990s for low quality...I am very happy with my F150 because it does what it needs to do very well.

BB
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Anyone have anything to add?

Buy American!! Help out the millions of Americans that own Ford stock. the 10s of thousands Americans working for Ford, and the countless thousands of Americans that work for its suppliers.

The greatest of American brands.

bonanza bucko
Senior Nomad

Mood: Airport Bum

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 07:40 AM

I think you should buy anything only if it competes. Tundra used to compete better than any American truck for my purposes....a bad road in Baja and the need for a "mid sized" truck. Now, I think the Ford competes best.

And also...I wouldn't touch a gummint motors anything with a long stick even if it was the best truck in the world and cost next to nothing!!!! My old boss is CEO of GM...and I still won't buy from them until and unless the danged White House and the Congresshole get the hell out of the car business.
BB
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:23 AM

You really need a F-250 size truck Ken?

Nissan has poorer ground clearance, approach and departure angles, and less traction control options than the Tacoma. A-TRAC blows away any other factory's truck traction system...

All auto makers are international... Buy a Tacoma and help the people of Baja California with jobs in Baja... Where the Tacoma is made!:light:

[Edited on 5-12-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 09:33 AM

My 2004 Tundra was made in Indiana.

I love my rig, but its a serious gas hog.

2004 4x4 Double Cab Tundra 4.7 V8
Ivan Stewart Edition

Cheers, Curt

No worries
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 11:30 AM

Doesn't the concept of capitalistic competition mean that American car manufacturers have to compete successfully for our business by making better cars for better prices? They haven't made better cars than Toyota or Honda, regardless of price. Toyotas and Hondas last longer and need less frequent repair and have better gas mileage, especially in the lower costing range of cars. It is not as though US car makers are new to automobile construction.

I notice when MBA's take over our industries that short term profit motives prevail in order to generate bonuses and make a balance sheets look good in the short term in anticipation of mergers. I don't get the feeling that US industries these days are looking to make a better designed product that will last longer, cost less to maintain, and is offered at a competitive price. To me, it looks like the Japanese beat us at our own game.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bonanza bucko
I wouldn't touch a gummint motors anything with a long stick even if it was the best truck in the world and cost next to nothing!!!! My old boss is CEO of GM...and I still won't buy from them until and unless the danged White House and the Congresshole get the hell out of the car business.
BB

that is silly, bucko. the bailout is a done deal, now it is in your interest to see GM succeed, so you are paid back and the USW economic recovery endures.

as a citizen you are a stockholder in GM. based on bailout amount and population, each citizen contributed something like $190+ to GM. if the GM cars are good it is in your interest to buy GM -- you are a shareholder, knucklehead!
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 02:01 PM

Goat,

bucko said "I wouldn't touch a gummint motors anything with a long stick even if it was the best truck in the world and cost next to nothing!!!!"

and you're trying to reason with him???

Also,

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Fu...

:spingrin:

bigboy
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 05:27 PM

My nephew has a 2010 Tundra and a 2006 Tacoma. He said the quality of the new truck is not up to par of his older truck. He now says he's sorry he didn't go with the Ford F150 4X4.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:03 PM

If your looking for a full size truck then the Ford would probably be the better way to go considering the quality issue with the Tundra and the GM and Chrysler situation. I think the Tundra is only made now at the Texas plant and there appears to be quality issues that need to be addressed. I would recommend you drive all the full size trucks first before making up your mind. But in the end only you are the one it needs to satisfy. Tundra aside if you do buy Ford, GM or Dodge the warranty will cover the problems you have until they are worked out, usually within 36,000 miles.
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:18 PM

I have both . I'm fairly amazed at the quality and reliability of my F150. 160K leaks / burns no oil. Most of the parts are original - even the parts the parts that usual need replacing periodically. I'm still on my original starter alternator radiator water pump - knock on wood!
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Doesn't the concept of capitalistic competition mean that American car manufacturers have to compete successfully for our business by making better cars for better prices? They haven't made better cars than Toyota or Honda, regardless of price. Toyotas and Hondas last longer and need less frequent repair and have better gas mileage, especially in the lower costing range of cars. It is not as though US car makers are new to automobile construction.

My experience is that this generalization is not true .
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:31 PM

I've got a 2001 F-150 Supercrew with 117,000 miles on it, a good chunk of that banging around on washboard. It has always been a tough and reliable truck, and pieces don't fall of like they seem to on others.

That said, right at the end of the extended five-year warranty I had the good fortune to develop a little top end leak, justifying a covered warranty replacement of the head gasket (and a little top end work while we were in there, wink wink), and had all the steering bushings replaced as they were showing some wear (also covered). After the warranty ran I had a couple of ignition coils go bad, and I just replaced the idler arm and the rear differential gasket, but I view none of these as major issues.

I'm still very happy with it, but just like anything else, I think the truck you buy will run better and longer the better you take care of it.

One thing I will change with the next F-150 I buy. My truck is black and shows every scratch, of which there are now too many to count due to (a) my stupid propensity for driving through scrub brush looking for firewood instead of getting out and walking and (b) my kids trying to throw their stuff into the bed but hitting the side of the truck instead. My next truck will be another F-150 Supercrew, but probably silver or white.

Oh, and a message for my wife: If you drive your F-150 into a parking garage with a sign that says CAUTION -- LOW CLEARANCE -- 6'4," don't be surprised when that sign scrapes half the paint off the roof of the cab. Good thing we didn't order the moon roof.

\"Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible.\" -- Frank Zappa
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:33 PM

On my 91 chevy I lost the alternator at 85,000 miles and put a Kragen unit in with a lifetime warranty. For the next 100,000 miles I replaced it under warranty every 10,000 to 12,000 miles until I bought a remanufactured one from chevy. It's still on the truck at 250,000 miles. I gave the truck to my son at 220,000.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:35 PM

The US taxpayers are keeping GM in operation, not in "business". They went out of business a few months ago. It's now on life support thanks to the govt. One of those welfare programs.:(
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2010 at 06:37 PM

If you plan on getting a Rhino lining sprayed in the bed or the same by any other name get the Ultra-violet protection. It keeps the lining from turning grayish. Also you might want to have them spray under the sides where rocks get kicked up.

Now back to the topic of which truck.

[Edited on 5-13-2010 by TW]
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.