Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mini Vacation...Dive trip to Mulege area
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 10:40 AM
Mini Vacation...Dive trip to Mulege area

Due to big surf, Juan got a few days off from abalone diving so we decided to zip over to the Gulf side for some summer weather and a quick dive.
We spent the night at La Posada in San Ignacio...so very quiet..$300 pesos and got an early start to get to Pompano's where our Whaler was vacationing.

Unfortunately Pompano left town when he heard we were coming so we hit the water early and headed out to this little island for a nice dive.

It was my first scuba dive in the gulf and I really enjoyed playing tag with the fish and just being in nice warm water with no wetsuit!!!

Juan brought me a little snack after my dive...yum yum....mano de leon!

We spent the day touring around the area...swimming every little while to beat the heat...snorkeling and basically enjoying the lovely day.

We joined Mulegena and Mick for dinner and while our tanks were being filled we got a tour of the "zoo" at the dive shop.

This is Mulegena hugging the iguana.

Juan liked this guy...i found his tongue a bit alarming!

Mick loves caressing his boa...i admit I was a bit squeamish when his head kept coming at me.

we visited with the bunnies, birds, white mice and rats, kitties, dogs and then the finale was when mick showed us his prize frog...which is this freaky looking thing...when I asked what he ate, mick went and got one of his cute little white mice...he held it in front of the froggie by the tail and in the blink of an eye, that mouse disappeared into the frogs mouth!!! That was ummm...kinda disgusting...sure wouldnt want to stick my finger in that aquarium!!!

We stayed at Hotel Squid..350$ pesos and it was excellent...large rooms, the beds were heavenly, very very clean, quiet, even the air conditioner was pretty quiet, great shower, microwave, nice tv and fridge too. the only problem is the parking..not enough for the # of rooms...somebody blocked us in and had to be woken up to move in the morning...he didnt look real happy about it!!:rolleyes:

It was a great little vacation on the other side!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 11:01 AM

Great pictures. I know it's hot during the day but does it cool off at nite?? The visibility in the Sea must have been great. Hotel Squid?? Is it run by Mike and Mulegena? They sound like great people and will visit their Dive Shop in July. Do any Nomads in Mulege have rental casitas?? Hot days on the Sea and a cool dip in the warm water! Cerveza helada, anyone?!! Smiles
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 11:30 AM

It was hot during the day....and i found it too warm to sleep in the evening without the air conditioner on... and its only early June!!!

Squid Hotel is at the upper end of town and not owned my Mick and Mulegena. There is a new hotel we looked at that was really nice called Mayoral Motel which is just up the hill from the dive shop...brand new and the rooms have kitchens, a hide a bed...separate little bedroom and are super nice with great views from the balconies of the rooms and were $50...have fun visiting and make sure Mick feeds the frog for ya!!!

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 11:30 AM
Summer - Baja's Best-Kept Secret

The sun is getting longer every day and the Sea of Cortez is getting lusciously warm. We're entering the time of a water-lover's dream, when you can spend the whole day in the water.

Right now, early June, nights are superb. Shorts & T's even at night, a light quilt for bedding.

Mulege has numerous hotels and B&Bs from casa huespedes on up. There is a new hotel in town in the neighborhood right above the dive shop and a 3-minute walk to the town square. Each unit is a charming efficiency apartment with bedroom-bath and kitchenette-sitting area. Parking is ample and on-site. Rates are negotiable. All the hotels in the area have AC and many have wi-fi.

There's fishing charters, bicycle rental, cave painting/plant walks, horseback riding, massage therapy, and... I dunno, ask.

Mick is the owner of Cortez Explorers PADI Scuba Dive Center. He can take you snorkeling and diving, even if you are not certified. He can teach all levels of scuba diving up to and including
Dive Instructor. Summer is a fabulous time to dive the Sea of Cortez and Bay of Conception.

Mick & I welcome you to our little pueblo and will share with you what we know to help you make your visit the way you want.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 11:35 AM

wish i was still there......
well, until july starts that is!!
then it will be time for Asuncion!!
or my friend's place at El Socorrito... ahhh. pacific...

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 11:46 AM

shari, Thanks for sharing. :D Mulege is one of those places that makes you feel welcome.:yes: I'm thinking that your home on the Pacific side is much the same. About those lizards?:D
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 12:01 PM

Hey Shari-

Sounds like fun. We've started our weekly Friday evening La Jolla Cove swims and I love checking out all the critters including the big sharks. It's supposed to be hot here in San Diego over the weekend so maybe a warm-up your way.

As for hotels, all I want to know about is whether or not they re-fill the shampoo bottles:tumble:

Zac

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 12:15 PM

looking forward to some nice weather over here all right...still a bit chilly.
Juan is back on the rock pile today...hope to finish the arches by the weekend!!!

DSC05256.JPG - 46kB

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 02:03 PM
Shari & Juan's Rock House

Nomads, you must try this room on for yourselves. Its so comforting and cozy like a cave. Step outside and you're right on the cliffs over the Pacific. Step back inside and you're in your own little world. I completely revised my schedule while stay with them and slept till mid-morning! Its that kinda place.

Edited for lousy grammar.
Know the rules and break 'em but not accidentally.

[Edited on 6-4-2010 by Mulegena]
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 02:19 PM

Your on little world;)
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 02:42 PM

we loved the Asuncion beach house .... sitting on that porch and looking out at the ocean with cool breeze under tree branches ....

As wonderful as sitting on our front porch ... looking out at the waves with porpoises jumping thru them :)))))))))))))))))))))

same ocean, different stretch of it ... aren't we the lucky ones !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2010 at 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
As wonderful as sitting on our front porch ... looking out at the waves with porpoises jumping thru them :)))))))))))))))))))))

same ocean, different stretch of it ... aren't we the lucky ones !!

Yes, you are... absolutely!

We must all stop in at Blanca's in La Bocana.

I believe she has a view that stretches all the way to Asuncion!
Blanca and Shari wave at each other over morning coffee. ;)
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 12:12 AM

Hi Shari

What was the water temp in and around Mulege?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 02:31 AM

80-85 inside the bay

78-79 outside on wednesday

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Lauriboats
Senior Nomad

Mood: Loving life in Baja

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 06:13 AM

Glad you and Juan had so much fun in Mulege. What a difference in the weather, it has been almost cold here in Asuncion, well compared to Mulege.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for.
KAT54
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 06:55 AM

I am driving to La Paz next month.
I want to stay in Mulege for a couple of days
and look at houses for sale in the Orchard.
Is the Squid Hotel new?
Is there a view room?
Do they have a place to eat there?
Is the parking secure?
I am pulling a boat, can I park it safely?
Is it on the river or beach?
I usally stay at Don Johnsons,
Is the new Squid Hotel similur?
Does it have a bar for drinks in the evening like Don's place?
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 08:00 AM

Hey, Kat

I'm off to Puerto Escondido Tripui for the day to join Mick and his PADI Instructor Candidates on their final day of examinations and celebratory gratuation.

Will be home this evening. I'll answer your questions in detail soon as I can. Give me a couple days to check it all out, ok?

Cheers, Lisa Maria de Mulegena
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2010 at 08:25 AM

kat...squid hotel wouldnt work for you...parking is very limited...no view, not on the river, no bar, just a place to sleep.

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
I am driving to La Paz next month.
I want to stay in Mulege for a couple of days
and look at houses for sale in the Orchard.
Is the Squid Hotel new?
Is there a view room?
Do they have a place to eat there?
Is the parking secure?
I am pulling a boat, can I park it safely?
Is it on the river or beach?
I usally stay at Don Johnsons,
Is the new Squid Hotel similur?
Does it have a bar for drinks in the evening like Don's place?

Hi, Kat. Maria here.

A wonderful place for you to stay might be Clementine's Baja in The Oasis Nolet which is located on the river between The Orchard and The Serenidad.

Cliff, the owner, has rentals available for short or long-term, each place unique and charming. You could park your boat near many of them. Each has its own kitchen. You can have your own little Happy Hour on-site or walk down to The Jungle for a tipple and a hamburger. You're also 5 minutes from town by car.

Cliff also has locked, secured storage for your boat and belongings nearby. Check out www.clementinesbaja.com and email him directly. I spoke to Cliff this morning. Ask for a rate that is inclusive of lodging and boat storage; mention your planned dates of stay and itinerary.

There are several places in The Oasis for sale, too. The Oasis was not damaged by the floods nearly as hard as The Orchard, the homes are well-built and all have been restored to make The Oasis the most beautiful neighborhood in Mulege, imo. Yes, I live in the Oasis and take some pride in my little neighborhood, but no my house is not one of those for sale.

Another beautiful hotel & suites is El Mayoral. Its brand, spanking new and on the hill overlooking town. It has adjacent parking. However, getting your boat up there might be problematic.

Water temps in July will be a delicious 92 degrees at surface which is just about perfect.

Please stop by the dive shop or by my house in The Oasis and say hello, Nomad to Nomad style!

Btw, all of Mick's Instructor Candidates completed their course, sat the rigorous 3-day exams under an independent examiner who flew in from the US, and are now PADI Open Water Scuba Diving Instructors. They did a marvelous job as did their professor, Mick Chapman of Cortez Explorers Dive Center here in Mulege. Congratulations, All!!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-8-2010 at 01:25 PM

glad to see Juan and he appears well, certainly a real pleasure to see him on a vacation from the rock pile :o ..... is he held incommunicado between vacations.. :lol:

thanks for sharing .... great report and just love the pictures... :):)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.