Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Truck Security - Kill Switches
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 11:24 AM
Truck Security - Kill Switches

Looking for some security for my truck in BCS.

Thinking of getting a Club for the steering wheel and a Club for the brake-pedal-to-steering-wheel in addition to a good kill switch system. Been doing some reading on the Master Lock Sentry Series key-fob-operated kill switch. Sounds pretty good and easy to self-install.

Is this overkill? YES Am I paranoid? YES

Any recommendations besides therapy?
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 11:44 AM

In my opinion, all those things help-------but a professional can defeat them all. Basically, the use of clubs, and the like, will discourage kids, amatuers and joy-riders, but NOTHING can help much with a professional. (witness the recent aircraft thefts).

Myself, I use "the club" on all my vehicles parked out of my garage each and every night. So far so good, but I live in Redding, CA and not in Baja.

Barry
classicbajabronco
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 03:49 PM

Find a club for your car stereo and another for your battery, and maybe another for your tires.. They are the items that get stolen most often from what I hear. when I got robbed they stole the batteries, stereos and left the jack and wrenches ready to come back for the tires..all these items are easily sold.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 03:59 PM
Hi glad to see you

Use a Bob

[Edited on 6-10-2010 by wessongroup]

Here is Bob "playing with me" .... he likes to chew a bit... what a mouth..

[Edited on 6-11-2010 by wessongroup]

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 05:04 PM

Great looking security system! That is one handsome pooch!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 05:34 PM

Other than the factory security system I use a club. The newer manufacture system seem to be much better. Someone will always figure a way around them sooner or later.
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 06:08 PM

These guys make some pretty elaborate car security systems. One was already installed in the F-250 I just bought. Impressive stuff.

http://www.viper.com/

They sell them in TJ. Car alarms are big business here.

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-10-2010 at 08:07 PM

I have this website: http://tirelock.com in my favorites for when we move to BCS.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 06:00 AM

just buy replacement insurance

then you get a new truck

remember in la area of california a car is stolen every minute

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 09:44 AM

I watch people pop their hoods and either disconnect the battery or a spark plug cable. Mexicans seem to think that works best from what I can tell.

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 10:16 AM

the battery under the hood ain't have bad.. simple but effective

BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 11:04 AM

Is there a "kill switch" for diesel pickups? Maybe a fuel pump cut-off?

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
Looking for some security for my truck in BCS.

Thinking of getting a Club for the steering wheel and a Club for the brake-pedal-to-steering-wheel in addition to a good kill switch system. Been doing some reading on the Master Lock Sentry Series key-fob-operated kill switch. Sounds pretty good and easy to self-install.

Is this overkill? YES Am I paranoid? YES

Any recommendations besides therapy?

I had the club when they tried to steal my truck in La Paz 10 years ago - no problem, they just cut the steering wheel. The only thing that saved me was a kill switch that I had put into the fuel pump circuitry.

On my 2002 Diesel I have a commercial, key fob operated starter system disabler, and I have a "home made" kill switch to my fuel system. I had some professional help in selecting the circuit and right wires, but putting the switch in was no big deal. I highly recommend both, as well as the "club" that goes to the brake pedal.:yes:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
just buy replacement insurance

then you get a new truck

remember in la area of california a car is stolen every minute

Lived in San Diego, El Centro, Folsom, and Redding most of my life, all in California. I park 3 vehicles outside in my driveway, or street. Been driving cars and trucks for 60 years in both Baja and CA and NEVER have had any problems at all (knock on wood). But I do use the wheel-club on all my vehicles outside, and NEVER leave them unlocked, even during the daytime.

Barry
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

eureka.gif posted on 6-11-2010 at 07:32 PM
I bought the ultimate kills switch

I paid $465 intalled (tax included).

www.nohotwire.com

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 07:57 PM

Thanks, Ken!

That's a lot better than the Denver boot, and much more compact. It's within reach for most of us, and the guys come to you to install it.

Wadda deal! ($422, for AAA members)

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-11-2010 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Thanks, Ken!

That's a lot better than the Denver boot, and much more compact. It's within reach for most of us, and the guys come to you to install it.

Wadda deal! ($422, for AAA members)

You fill out the on-line form, they call you back the next day and they schedule a time to come to your residence or place of work (as long as it is someplace w/o any foot traffic or cameras), and 2 hrs. later, you are shown how to use the new system.

The vehicle can still be stolen - via TOW TRUCK and then parted out, so you still have to be careful w/your parked baby says Ravelco.

Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 12:23 AM

Fuel pump cutoff switch. $10. Easy to install.
Drill through the sheemetal floorboard (or firewall) where a toggle switch will protrude through into the cab in a very inconspicuous place. For example, that could be under a seat or way up under the dash. Locate and cut the fuel pump hot wire and run wires to and from the switch.
Can't say how easy this is on other vehicles. My Jeep Wrangler required less than an hour to do a perfectionistic job. You won't want problems with this circuit in the future, so it would be wise to solder connections, tape thoroughly or use heat shrink tubing, and takes steps to protect from chaffing. Use only a quality toggle switch, such as K-4.
http://www.k-four.net/Product.aspx?pid=12

Parking at some remote trailheads, it worries me every time I leave the Jeep unattended. I have ignition kill with an alarm system, a club for the steering wheel, hood lock, and the fuel cutoff switch. My backup to all of that is comprehensive insurance for theft.

BajaBruno:
Seems like it should work for a diesel. I think you would want to be careful not to forget and crank the engine with the switch in the "Off" position.
My switch is installed so that the forward position = "Go" ("On")
pepino
Banned

[*] posted on 6-12-2010 at 05:06 AM

My experience with kill switches has been good. Being creative and hiding the wiring to either coil or fuel pump is effective. Just place the toggle switch in a very obscure place and hide the wiring well. The only defeat of this system are the thieves that may come with a tow truck and drag it off, not too common.
TecateRay
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-16-2010 at 09:45 AM

Be careful about the grade of switch you use. A switch designed for too little voltage/amperage could burn up and leave you stranded. If you are switching a heavy duty circuit, it may be controlled by a relay and you can switch the relatively lower amp wire to the relay vice the actual wire that powers the fuel pump, etc. :light:
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.