Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  4
Author: Subject: Project Rebuilt FOUR Baja
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-22-2010 at 04:49 PM
Project Rebuilt FOUR Baja

Seven years of dedicated BAJA trail service has been tough on my '03 1/2 Rubicon, and with an upcoming 4WD adventure just one week away, I decided to rebuild my Jeep for the rigors of Baja.

Traveling the endless rock-route of the Pole Line Road near Mexicali

First on my list of upgrade/replacements will be this Body Bushing Kit from Daystar. They will make my Jeep level and cushion it from blows while traveling off highway.

The body bushings located in the middle of the cab, just under the driver and passenger doors are in perfect shape as shown here.

The body bushings nearest the front wheels are both missing due to several years of hard use and eventual neglect.

My new Colombian bride has trouble getting into the Jeep, and plans to raise the Jeep a little higher to fit my next eventual set of tires underneath it will make her entry and exit next to impossible.

Plans are to install a stock pair of Mopar side steps for Leidys to get into the Jeep without extra help. That's Tijuana (the dog) in front of the Picacho Del Diablo and the Sea of Cortez!:bounce:

My TrXus MT tires have held up well over the past 20,000 miles. They will hold up another 12 months at the rate I drive my Rubicon. The sidewalls are standard Interco Super Swamper build in terms of reliability, but a problem is lurking just behind the sidewalls of these tires that has me concerned.:!:

On one of my trips through the backcountry, I BENT one of my Cast Aluminum wheels, making it difficult to balance as shown here.

After I install control arm bushings and hope for the best, I will take the Rubicon for a test drive. Chances are that the 40 m.p.h. wobble will not improve much if at all. If this is the case, Black Rock has a new set of 909 D-window wheels I would like to bolt on.

I will have everything installed within the next 24 hours and then I will report back as to how well the Jeep rides and glides down the street.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 07:51 AM

Ken get to work and make it right, time is wasting.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 07:54 AM
Comments from the peanut gallery

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken get to work and make it right, time is wasting.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-23-2010 at 11:21 AM
For the return at the San Ysidro Point of Entry

I ordered this nifty item.

License Plate Holder
If you’re state requires a front license plate, we have a solution for you. Instead of drilling holes in your bumper or risking not running a front plate, this easy to install license plate holder attaches to your winch roller fairlead. Simply bolt your license plate to the bracket and snap the holder in place. Your license plate is now securely mounted yet easily removable for winching.

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 07:14 AM
Real fast update

The running boards did not fit my particular Jeep frame. Tell will be sold on Ebay soon. :bounce:

The body mount installation served its purpose well - the Jeep sits higher and is now level. :bounce:

My wheels had to be replaced due to too much rock hopping in Baja. American Racing no longer produces the 'Slider' wheel, so they're going to a good home. Black Rock wheels are getting installed later today. :bounce:

[img]http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:9Rsp1UTXPW-kdM:http://login.eznettools.net/adaptivestrategies/SliderChrome.jpg[/img]

The KC Daylighers need wiring repair work. This along with installing the interior rack and radiator work are next on the agenda.

I found this funny picture on-line.:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 07:19 AM

See you on the island!:cool:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-29-2010 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
See you on the island!:cool:

The Jeep will be ready.:biggrin:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 04:21 PM

Bent rim moved to rear axle - wrong rims were ordered and will not arrive for 2 weeks. :(

Jeep is 80% ready for the rigors of Baja.:bounce:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 07:29 AM
New Black Rock wheels!

After completely destroying the last set of wheels, creating a predictable 45 m.p.h. "Death Wobble" everytime I hit a pothole, I decided it was time for new rims.

On a side note, these rims were ordered before my trip to Shell Island - they were purchased and ordered in June, but because of a backorder situation with 4WheelParts Wholesalers, my retailer could not get them until late July.

Now, my tires run more true, the "Death Wobble" is gone, and the Jeep has a new look. I'M COMPLETELY REBUILT FOUR BAJA!:bounce:

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 07:55 AM

Ken, thanks for sharing...

Your ride is looking pretty "stout" with those new rims...

You look ready to go anywhere...

Be careful, and take lots of pictures... really enjoy your reports .. along with your wife's just "striking" smile...

Can relate to the height thing.. my wife is 5'2" and getting into a "stock" Bronco is hard for her and her shopping pard.. "noproblemo" ... both want me to put steps on it so they can get in and out ... a little easier... what ya going to do.. will check ebay and see if yours might work..

Happy trails... :):)

One question, that jack... you have... on the back.. what advantage to do you find over a hydraulic ? I'm pretty sure I could not rise a vehicle using a beastie like that ... now days..

[Edited on 8-29-2010 by wessongroup]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 08:01 AM

We were driving through Newport Beach yesterday at dusk, and alongside us was a lifted TJ Sport with the Mopar steps that I plan to have tack-welded to the frame of my Jeep. I never sold the steps, and I plan to add them within the next month.

My next set of tires will either be 34" or 35", so these will be helpful for her ingress/regress. I don't see a need to go any taller. This is more of a want than a need.:spingrin:

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
One question, that jack... you have... on the back.. what advantage to do you find over a hydraulic ? I'm pretty sure I could not rise a vehicle using a beastie like that ... now days..

[Edited on 8-29-2010 by wessongroup]

My Hi-Lift Jack also comes with a base to use in sand or soft dirt to stabilize the jack. It does take some motivating to get the Jeep in the air, and to change tires. But, that's a good justification for traveling in groups as opposed to exploring the backcountry alone. :!:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 11:34 AM

Wheels look great Ken!

Good choice... thanks for the update... Hope we can go four wheeling with you again, soon!

We had fun last month!...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wheels look great Ken!

Good choice... thanks for the update... Hope we can go four wheeling with you again, soon!

We had fun last month!...

I had a great time as well. Thanks for the additional food, use of the coffee pot, propane, and beverages.:yes:

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 02:48 PM

That's a great rig, Ken. I am envious!!!!

Barry
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishabductor
Wesson. The jack can lift to 48" it can be used as a winch, or as a spreader in the case you bend something and need to be straightened out. A hi lift jack is a necessity in off roading. With a hydraulic, and big tires you'd need to bring lots of wood blocks just to reach the axle to change the tire.

Ok.. your right about the height.. it is a "big guy".. had not thought about using as another tool.. but, can see how one could..

Just not this old guy... see that it has a 36" handle.. one could get some leverage with that.. it certainly is another tool..

Thanks, it all helps... :):)

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2010 at 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
That's a great rig, Ken. I am envious!!!!

Barry

Thanks, Barry. No, I didn't sell the Rubicon for a "dedicated rock crawler" (as I alluded to in the other thread). I'm just looking at changing the tires soon since the tread is getting low, and the road noise is getting on the loud side.

Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2010 at 09:04 PM
Step

Ken ,I would think twice about haveing a step welded to the frame if I were you.Any thing that hangs down will be something to hang up on a rock.I have 38 inch tires on my Jeep ,My wife wanted a step to get in the Jeep.I made one that she can put in place to get in and then she can reach down and remove it so it won't get hung up on anything.
Just a thought.
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-18-2010 at 09:42 PM

Some make a hanging step from some chain welded on to the jeep.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2010 at 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
Ken ,I would think twice about haveing a step welded to the frame if I were you.Any thing that hangs down will be something to hang up on a rock.I have 38 inch tires on my Jeep ,My wife wanted a step to get in the Jeep.I made one that she can put in place to get in and then she can reach down and remove it so it won't get hung up on anything.
Just a thought.

I completely agree about the step equation. Here is an example of my more extreme conditions I travel in Baja.

My steps mounted will be up high enough to be out of the way of most trail obstacles...I hope.

Steps mounted to Jeep w/33" Tires (w/longer wheelbase LJ Model)

Mounted up high (w/longer wheelbase LJ Model)

(w/longer wheelbase LJ - Charleu Gap, AZ)

I don't think the steps will hang too low.
(again, w/longer wheelbase LJ)

Pages:  1    3  4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.