BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Build up points for Tacoma (besides solid axle)
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 6-26-2010 at 07:49 PM
Build up points for Tacoma (besides solid axle)

During my rebuildup for Baja, I had a talk with a former TLC owner about other brands vs. the Jeep brand when it comes to off road use. I still think the Tacoma is a great tow vehicle for sand toys and for hauling down dirt roads to camp spots.

Breather tube placement:!:

Jeep - located alongside the top of the radiator instead of below the axle.:no:

Toyota - a little nub on top of the differential??:o:O:no:

E-Locker Actuators
Jeep - located inside of the differentials - controls run from top of differential up along body.

Toyota Tacoma - located on leading edge of differential.:o:O:no:

[Edited on 6-27-2010 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:05 AM

I know that BudBuilt offers plenty of gear for the Toyota. Here is their website: http://www.budbuilt.com/new/

Only $729 for this snazzy skidplate setup. :bounce:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:09 AM

Agree that there is no 100% perfect vehicle... and that adding a breather tube to the rear differential (if you are going into deep water) is important! I had my differential oil changed last week, and they reported it contained water and dirt from the Mision Santa Maria trip.

That being said, none of my three Tacomas has ever failed me, broken down, ruined a trip... ever, and that is doing some pretty heavy and fast off roading and four wheel traction situations.

My Jeep... it was a brand new Cherokee Chief... was constantly breaking, and not from off roading (I rarely got to use it off road)... just poor poor quality control. Now, that was a LONG time ago... BUT, I still hear of Jeep failures... Don't get me wrong... I love them still... My dad's '65 Wagoneer was great.

As soon as they have the same high quality as Toyota, Subaru, or the other Japanese brands I have also owned that were built better, I don't think I could buy one.

Besides the Toyota Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) my Tacoma has is unreal and unstoppable!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Agree that there is no 100% perfect vehicle... and that adding a breather tube to the rear differential (if you are going into deep water) is important! I had my differential oil changed last week, and they reported it contained water and dirt from the Mision Santa Maria trip.

That being said, none of my three Tacomas has ever failed me, broken down, ruined a trip... ever, and that is doing some pretty heavy and fast off roading and four wheel traction situations.

My Jeep... it was a brand new Cherokee Chief... was constantly breaking, and not from off roading (I rarely got to use it off road)... just poor poor quality control. Now, that was a LONG time ago... BUT, I still hear of Jeep failures... Don't get me wrong... I love them still... My dad's '65 Wagoneer was great.

As soon as they have the same high quality as Toyota, Subaru, or the other Japanese brands I have also owned that were built better, I don't think I could buy one.

Besides the Toyota Active Traction Control (A-TRAC) my Tacoma has is unreal and unstoppable!!!

I read about Jeeps having issues all day on The Rubicon Owners Forum. But, what condition were your gears in, if there was water and dirt trapped back there? Do you plan on changing your ring/pinion anytime soon?

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 09:17 AM

Ken, it is a new truck (6 mos. old) and under warantee...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken, it is a new truck (6 mos. old) and under warantee...

That's brand-spanking new. New truck smell, new truck mileage. Don't tell me, you are pushing 50,000 mi. on the odo already.:lol:

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-27-2010 at 11:11 AM

No, but it's over 10,000 miles already...

BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-23-2010 at 06:34 PM

Rear diff breather extension is an easy fix. It was less than $5 in OEM parts to run one up off the axle.

I've seen a lot of places that sell the actuator skids. They are cheap too. Some are actually just bolt on.

Even with an IFS, the stock configuration with all its components are bullet proof... You wont usually have to worry about breaking down in a Toyota. ;) Course I'm completely biased.

.... Just noticed this thread was old. :)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.