Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: HIGHWAY 3 --TECATE ROAD CONSTRUCTION UPDATE
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 06:59 PM
HIGHWAY 3 --TECATE ROAD CONSTRUCTION UPDATE

Went north yesterday and was amazed at the new surface from Sauzal to Guadalupe.......four lanes for the most part and perfect surface.
Fourty seven miles from Sauzal, the road construction begins and you leave the asphalt to drive by on Baja dirt for maybe a mile, then you're back on pavement.

OH NO.......pavement ends.

This happens intermititantly for the rest of the journey north. It's on the road----off the road. There must be a half dozen areas of road construction.

This goes on up to the last hill into TKT and it may all be tolerable except for the impatient local drivers in the slow areas who make the dirt zones more difficult.

So, anyway, my evaluation....if I had it to do again yesterday...I wouldn't. I would go up to the 2000 road and get on the toll or free road to Tecate.
BIEN VIAJE
noproblemo2
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 08:21 PM

Thanks for the report DENNIS..

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 6-30-2010 at 08:49 PM

dennis...good info...but i wouldn't get on that 2000 road fer love nor money...gimme that road to tecate anyday....my read...again...thanks for the update

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
dennis...good info...but i wouldn't get on that 2000 road fer love nor money...gimme that road to tecate anyday....my read...again...thanks for the update

I've never had a problem with 2000, Mike. Some others seem to share your disdane for the road, but I'm not sure why.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 07:35 AM

WHAT"S WRONG WITH BLVD 2000?

I take it every 3-4 weeks.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
WHAT"S WRONG WITH BLVD 2000?

I take it every 3-4 weeks.

I don't know. I thought they scooped up all the bodies. Like on most other roads here, my eyes are glued to the road surface right in front of me for that one lethal pot-hole with my name on it and I noticed Chula Vista is getting just as bad.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 07:58 AM

Blvd. 2000 is an excellent highway... I wish they would finish it with the connector to 1-D!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 11:42 AM

Dennis, thanks for the update. Should be using it soon. See you at Patty's or Sharkey's.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fred
Dennis, thanks for the update. Should be using it soon. See you at Patty's or Sharkey's.

Hi Fred....If you take the free road from Tecate to Blvd. 2000, you'll have a much better time of it all. It doesn't add that many miles.
If you don't know how to get on the free road....drive straight through the gate, continue on for a couple of blocks till you come to the large park.
At the first cross street next to the park, Benito Juarez, turn right and continue straight ahead for about fifteen miles to Blvd. 2000, which will be clearly marked.
Open a frosty Pacifico and celebrate. Open another and celebrate for me too. :biggrin:
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:10 PM

My two cents:

Blvd 2000 should be considered with caution after dark.

There won't be a direct connection to the toll road until they decide where to place toll booths. They figure making it an easy transition will just reduce revenue from the toll road. My best guess is that they will either put in an additional booth on 1-D or move the existing one further South. The problem is that while there is a free alternative for the locals along the coast, what with the huge development further north along 2000, there is no similar alternative.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
The problem is that while there is a free alternative for the locals along the coast, what with the huge development further north along 2000, there is no similar alternative.

It has always been my understanding that there MUST be a free alternative to a toll road in Mexico.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:38 PM

Probably correct. And probably why they will either move the existing booths on 1-D or erect a new set to "catch" those folks heading to and from 2000.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 7-1-2010 at 01:59 PM

The last plan I heard was that would be putting up toll fates on the west end of Blvd 2000. Not sure if that has changed since last year. I have taken that road hundreds of times without a problem...

Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 01:29 PM

Thanks Dennis. I know the road
Bajahowodd.....I never drive at night. Maybe a beer to start the trip on Blvd 2000. And now 1 more for Dennis. But only during the day.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.