Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: The Tackle Truck
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 07:47 AM
The Tackle Truck

Morning folks, I hope everyone had a great safe 4th. As covered, I am moving to La Paz very shortly.
I am geared mainly towards inshore calico, halibut, yellowtail, and WSB fishing. Once in La Paz I plan on fishing everything from estero/bay species, to dorado, wahoo, tuna. O.K., some billfish if I get lucky, released!:yes:
As far as rods and reels go, I'm set. From ultralite up to Seeker Black Steel roller guide tuna/trolling rigs. My main concern is having the correct terminal tackle, hooks, leader, swivels, wire, crimping tools, lead, ect.
Trolling feathers are a concern also. I have several albacore Zuker style in all the normal So Cal/Baja Norte colors. I've read all the books, I want to know what works for youz guyz!
Oh, it all has to fit in the "Tackle Truck" on my first trip south. The garage is filling up, I may need to buy a shell for the Tundra. :light: I don't want to try and stock up down in La Paz. I've heard some stuff is scarce and it is all expensive.
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 08:39 AM

http://www.fishermensfleet.com/
http://tailhunter-international.com/

Both these guys can help with your with tackle needs but their sites are pretty much geared to panga fishing. They are both extremely helpful and I'm surfe will gladly answer your questions if you contact them direct.
As far as inshore, bring some small croc's and castmasters. They wanted 330 pesos in Walmart for them. $30 dollars for a small crocodile????

In Memory of E-57
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 10:05 AM

Wow ! Moving to La Paz !! Have a safe trip ...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 10:26 AM

With all my "stuff", it looks to be a few trips! The better half is already there. I'll be visiting you folks over on the chilly side. :yes:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 10:56 AM

http://www.candhlures.com/store/No-Alibi-Lures/Dolphin-Delig...

These catch fish and won't break the bank.

But I do re rig them.

[Edited on 7-5-2010 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 12:33 PM

I like
1. 7strand feathers,
2.rapala cd18's.
3.lots of ranger lures in white or red/white, bl/wh( these work for tuna, roosters, toros, pargo, sierra..I have even hooked a Marlin on one)
4.Lots of live bait hooks...
5.bring lots of line...esp. braid..it is very expensive here. buy 3000yd bulk spools
6. cedar plugs..natural, red/white blue/white
7. 1/2-3/4oz silver spoons for the beach
8. fresh water bass plugs for inshore.
9. hootchies 5" in numerous colors, blue, green, mex flag, red..pink..etc.
10. lots of terminal gear such as swivels

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 01:49 PM

Those look good to me Comitan. Which colors do you, or the fish, prefer?Are you re-rigging with heavier line, wire, hooks? Are they available in retail stores? I like to fondle my selections!:lol:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 02:21 PM

They are all mostly good, the red(pink) is best, but you just have to do what the voices tell you. I re rig them is wire 135# because Wahoo will bite thru 90#, Use a single hook Large. Don't ever use doubles anymore to hard to get out. Wahoo like the purple (dark colors)

Buy everything up there, Use the good swivels.

[Edited on 7-5-2010 by comitan]

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 02:27 PM

Do you think wire kills the action? Single hook for sure! I want to experiment with single, large circle hooks on feathers and iron. Have you tried that? One good fish is all I need, the rest shall swim again, and circle hooks make it easier for both parties involved!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 02:33 PM

Been using wire for 25+ years down here, you wouldn't want to know how many fish we have caught on wire. Dorado don't see the wire they see that red thing going fast and they get mad and thats it. Thats another thing trolling, I don't think we ever troll less than 10mph.

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 03:14 PM

That's exactly what I need, info on what works. A couple spools of wire and crimping supplies added to the list!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 03:30 PM

90# for rapala type, 135# feathers. This is just from our experience, there are many fisherman out there much better than I that can help your more I'm sure. We never use live bait we don't ever need fish that bad, I believe it's easier to over catch with live bait. On wire I use stranded Seventstrand.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 04:22 PM

I think you'll like having a shell on your truck. Good lock (s) and a strong roof just in case you find a deal on a kayak. I have a friend that always carries the kayak back an forth and he hasn't been pulled into declare lane in a long time. My suggestion would be to buy just enough gear to start you off. and it sounds like you already have plenty! You'll meet a lot of fishermen & women that will have gear they can part with or loan you until you discover something you like even more. I have a small selection of wire, crimps and crimp pliers you're welcome to. I just don't like wire. Also lots of hooks I'll share. I'm not using/loosing the old lures I have much now. Especially this year. Tuna clone type feathers in pink/white, mex flag, red/white, purple/black and blue/white. I also like a few jet heads in the same colors and 4" & 6". Some times the dodos just really turn on to the small jets. Look forward to hearing about your adventures and those big fish and what you catch them on. Drive Safely!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 04:45 PM

Thanks Russ, I'll be glad to just fish, let alone catch:biggrin: My realistic target date is Christmas. Wrong time for fishing, but I can deal with it. Should have papers for a sale by the end of the month on the shop. Hard not to have a short-timers attitude. I'll kill time buying tackle!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 05:31 PM

I bought so much stuff from Cabela's and sent it to my sister in Laguna she's calling the UPS truck the "Brown Santa".

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:18 PM

I am lucky in that I have The Longfin, Melton's, Turner's, and Bass Pro Shop all within easy driving distance. The hard part is staying away! LOL
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:45 PM

bajabass,
Be careful how much gear you take across the border. If you get pulled into secondary, they may not be happy with a truckload of tackle these days. A few years ago they never checked, but now they check regularly.

I recall a recent thread where they are limiting the number of rods you can bring.. Thank god I brought all my tackle down a few years ago. However, every trip north costs me about $300 at the tackle shop.

I too have tons of gear I just don't use. I currently have somewhere around 35 rods and 40 reels. I use just 6 of them.

It is hard to stay out of the tackle shops, especially when you have so many good ones close at hand.

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by fishabductor]

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 06:59 PM

Good point! I had 90% of my gear in La Mision. After a break in, my wife brought it all back north a couple days later. They got a great little VHF/GPS, but left the gear untouched. I'll stage it over a few trips at a friends house, and gather it up on the way down.
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-5-2010 at 08:30 PM

something else we have in common we where burglarized this last year too. However I moved my fishing gear and tools to another location before we left. I now have a storage bodega in town to keep all my gear safe!!

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 10:37 PM

Man, I thought I had a lot of equipment. Compared to you guys, I feel like I am fishing with sewing thread, a soup spoon and a chop stick.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.