Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Loreto Fishing Report
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2010 at 05:03 PM
Loreto Fishing Report

I will be in Loreto on Sept 3rd. Any new updates on the Dorado other than Pam's site?

Thanks
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-16-2010 at 07:59 PM

Western Outdoor News is doing a weekly report and usually includes Loreto. go to www.wonews.com

wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 08:12 PM

The folks in Loreto have GOT to have better fishing reports. My boat is still broken and will be going out on a friends panga.

What do I have to do to get a response? Slam Obama????
kaybaj
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-17-2010 at 08:19 PM

yup, it's his fault they ain't no reports!:lol:
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wakemall
The folks in Loreto have GOT to have better fishing reports. My boat is still broken and will be going out on a friends panga.

If you have a friend in Loreto with a panga, I have an idea that he/she has already given you a report and you are seeking encouragement elsewhere.
Fishermen tend to be more vocal with reports if they have good fishing to report than bad. And you're not going to get any good reports from Loreto because the fishing this year for pelagics has been, and is, lousy. It is not only dorado that are few and small when you find them, but billfish as well. Friends who have spent summers in Loreto for years fishing for marlin told me a couple of days ago that they have caught a grand total of two this year.
The only ray of hope this year is in the form of jacks, yellowtail and roosterfish, in particular.
So, if you don't want to refocus on your September trip you may well go home with empty coolers.
You might not like it, we don't, but here is your Loreto fishing report.
You are forewarned.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 08:36 AM

What Bill says works up here too. You may get an individual that has a good day but that doesn't mean it's wide open. I saw some lights over the horizon this morning but no commercial boats for about 3 weeks now. And they were in & out. That has got to tell you something.
"What do I have to do to get a response? Slam Obama???? "
If you like. But I'm pretty sure those of us living down here could care less and there is "Off Topic" forum for that.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 09:12 AM

try this

http://www.bajabigfish.com/conv_report.html
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
Quote:
Originally posted by wakemall

If you have a friend in Loreto with a panga, I have an idea that he/she has already given you a report and you are seeking encouragement elsewhere.
Fishermen tend to be more vocal with reports if they have good fishing to report than bad. And you're not going to get any good reports from Loreto because the fishing this year for pelagics has been, and is, lousy. It is not only dorado that are few and small when you find them, but billfish as well. Friends who have spent summers in Loreto for years fishing for marlin told me a couple of days ago that they have caught a grand total of two this year.
The only ray of hope this year is in the form of jacks, yellowtail and roosterfish, in particular.
So, if you don't want to refocus on your September trip you may well go home with empty coolers.
You might not like it, we don't, but here is your Loreto fishing report.
You are forewarned.

that pretty much sounds like what I reported, not much change, more dorado but small (20 pounds looks like a big one to us now), a few marlin, no sails, and now yellowtail are difficult if there are clouds covering up our coord markers (storm clouds that form due to heat) its hot as hell outside right now.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 02:01 PM

thanks for the reports Bill, Russ & Pam...I was wondering how it was going over there. Much the same here....water is still cold but the last 2 days show promise as we've had nice summer weather and the warm water is pushing up to us now. There have been large manchas of sardines on shore finally so things should liven up here this week.

There are some yellowtail in the kelp paddies but easier to spear than catch on with a rod. Lots of nice calico being caught and sheepshead, some grouper but not many YT close yet...there were some nice fish, 20-40 lbs caught in the Tournament but 30 miles north of here...north of san pablo. but I remain optimistic as our season is only a couple weeks late so far...we had such an amazingly long summer fishing season last year from aug-february!!

Here is one of our guests nice sheepshead and calico he caught last week fishing in his tin boat by san roque island. Of course bajafamgirl Erin was in there checking it out!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 02:03 PM

oh crap...should I have posted this in a new thread???

sorry if it seemed like a highjack...I just thought some of you might be interested in a pacific midcoast report...misery loves company right??

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
...its hot as hell outside right now.

it's not that hot here in mulege...:o:o

123.jpg - 45kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 02:21 PM

oh yea...

that was the insid temp...:tumble::tumble:

i guess it is "HOT AS HELL" today:o:o

12334.jpg - 42kB

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 02:58 PM

More northerly wind today:

WS~818:10pm.jpg - 46kB

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 03:16 PM

For us, it's hot as hades here..which means the high 80's!!!

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 06:42 PM

thanks for your report from the other side. pretty different from your reports from last year as I recall your fishing sounded really great in late summer and fall of last year.
wakemall
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 07:38 PM

Thank you to all that responded. I thought the higher surface temps had affected the water temps and temp breaks. Obviously it did not. Where are the weeds and garbage on the current lines?
WOW… Rough Dodo season.
We actually caught five Dorado right after the Vags tournament (missed another three). It was way out. I mean way out past Punta Lobo. We could actually see Isla de Catalon and were past that. Saw numerous small jumping Yellow Fin and several big Yellow Fin belly rolling. Tons of bait in the water.
There was a beautiful 29 foot boat out with us with twin Honda’s that was also catching fish. The Dorado were 20 to 30 pounds. All were blind strikes trolling feathers and covering ground. We actually got a double trolling towards Catalon.
Thanks again for all that posted a response. I will find the fish and post pictures and a response upon my return. Search and more searching. God willing with the weather.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 08:11 PM

Thanks for the update, wakemall. Bill tells it like it is..and you found out. A rough dorado season in Baja. Such a shame.

But ..maybe you should think PANAMA for your next trip south? Fishing is just short of unbelievable. A buddy of mine did a floating lodge trip there in May and he wrote that he had a ball catching everything that swims.

His floater was located in the Coiba Island area along Panama's northwest Pacific coast. Fished Hannibal Bank and Montuosa Island for black and blue Marlin, schools of big wahoo and giant yellowfiin. There are huge sailfish and lots of dorado. Also got good inshore action casting to snapper and roosterfish.

I am signed up for February, 2011. Would have gone earlier, but they were sold out.

Baja? Thank God I love it for more than just the fishing!

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-18-2010 at 09:20 PM

pomp...we're going to panama this winter too..and belize and costa rica too...a whirlwind fly fishing crazy trip for inshore and offshore stuff..can't wait

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2010 at 10:40 AM

give us trip reports for your panama trips please!
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-19-2010 at 01:36 PM

I can not say the dorado fishing has been spectacular except for a few days, but it has been pretty steady this year at Santa Rosalia. The billfish have been strong all season and I have had several days where I have had over 12 to 15 shots at billfish, mostly surface visuals. Yellowtail fishing continues to be very good, and we have had some pretty consistent days with Red Snapper and the like. Roosters showed up real strong early and we have had a pretty strong amount all season. So I think it has been a pretty exceptional year for us and while I consider the Dorado a little on the slow side, I am ok with that as they are really not my favorite fish to catch anyway.

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.