Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Bauer midlevel fly reels on sale
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 04:17 PM
Bauer midlevel fly reels on sale

Sierra Trading Post is having a pretty good sale on Bauer's Mackenzie saltwater reels: the 6/7 is $202 and the 7/8 is $221. Sale ends on 8/24. These reels retail in the $350 range and there is never a discount or sale that I know of. I think Bauer does not allow retailers to put them on sale but these are discontinued models. Bauer makes spools for its discontinued reels so that's not a problem. High-end bonefish fisherfolks put these on the second day on the flats after prancing around with their Abels within sight of the lodge the first day. I have a Mackenzie 4 that is about 6 years old that will be buried with me just in case the Fire Hole really does originate in Hell.:cool:
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 06:23 PM

Santiago.
I've got an M4...smoothest drag I've ever used, on any reel. If I didn't get myself all wrapped up every time I use a fly reel....I've also got a brand new Reddington 10wt rod that came as a replacement for the one that broke in three places trying to get a 10 pound tuna into the kayak! Nine foot rods and kayaks don't mix so very well with strong fish.
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 06:41 PM

I'm not! I thought I'd get into it but the only thing I really got into was tangling myself up in the surf. I thought the kayak would work with the fly stuff but it's a nightmare trying to get a fish in. Fun though!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by maspacifico

I've also got a brand new Reddington 10wt rod that came as a replacement for the one that broke in three places trying to get a 10 pound tuna into the kayak!

They call that high sticking.

I snapped an 11wt on a dorado on my first flyfishing trip out of Loreto. You raise the rod to get it closer to the guide and there's an explosion. Followed by a look of bewilderment.

I can't imagine how you would bring a tuna into a kayak without completely exhausting the fish first and handlining the last 10 ft.
maspacifico
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 07:43 PM

High sticking...or long arming! Very hard to get a tuna that tired with light tackle. I was going to release that tuna too. After the rod broke to a manageable size I got it in, got the hook out, and then it managed to flip the rod and reel over the side. Had to dive in to get it. No mas!!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 08:13 PM

Arkansas has a silver run??
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 09:13 PM

I see "fly fishermen" trolling flies pretty regularly from boats close to shore in the East Cape......I think I'll try walking a mile in their shoes before I throw stones.....I've yet to catch the flyfishing bug, looks like a lot of work to me.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-23-2010 at 10:51 PM

Yes, I miss that place. A lot of guys liked Bahamas more but to me there's something special about the South Seas.

Is Moana still guiding? Probably not any longer. He's the dean of all guides on the island. He's probably the one Lefty originally taught to flyfish. "Moana's Walk" was a full day on the flats with the man.

My favorite spots were Submarine Flat and Nine-Mile Flat. I heard Poland was very good but never hit it right I guess.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-24-2010 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I see "fly fishermen" trolling flies pretty regularly from boats close to shore in the East Cape......dt

Fly trolling is endemic at East Cape. Which is odd because it's one of the least effective ways to catch roosterfish on the fly. If you fish at Zihuatanejo for example you won't see any of the serious fly fishing panga captains troll a fly. In fact, they have a mate along to work the teaser rod to generate fly casting shots. I love fly fishing, but I just can't understand why anyone would want to troll a fly. Fly fishing is about casting to present the fly. Fighting a fish on a fly rod is fun but fighting one on light tackle spinning or baitcasting gear is every bit as much fun or more and easier on the fish if you're going to release it. . If you're not casting the fly...why bother?
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by whistler
Majority of fisherman could care less...

Yeah, that's unfortunate. What i don't get is why so many fly fishermen consider fish caught on other tackle unworthy of their attention. There are so many fun ways to catch fish. If you aren't casting the fly why not try another method?

But the long and short of it...fly trolling is B.S.

[Edited on 8-25-2010 by Cardon Man]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 10:15 AM

Christmas Island is the true mecca for bonefish and flyfishermen. When I retire I may just move there.

Hey, wait..I am retired.

Come to think of it, I actually was never tired.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 12:43 PM

Quote:
Pompano,you must have passed through Warrington, Oregon
if you made it to Astoria.My friend that caught the 28 tons recently is based out of Warrington.He also trawls.Funny,when I was on his trawler part of the crew was from Sinola.Shrimp fishermen and fished a lot of the Baja coast.

whistler, I have been through Warrington before, but not on this trip. It's too far inland for most of my trips..I like to hug the coast.

I have lots of amigos over in Eugene and Junction City, though. Mostly Baja fans.

p.s.The previous owner of Punta Chivato Hotel and PC's Casa Grande was from that area. Strange how many folks from Oregon one meets in Baja, eh?

[Edited on 8-25-2010 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 02:11 PM

Aha..whistler. NOW I know where you are talking about. There are two Warringtons in Oregon. Yours is the one next to Astoria...duh...a little slow today, ya know.

Yes..we was there! Here's a shot of the Columbia estuary out of Astoria.

Years ago we fished salmon commercial out of Westport..same kind of rough bar conditions. Miracle we survived those times.

[Edited on 8-25-2010 by Pompano]

2010 7-29 0. ASTORIA BRIDGE COLUMBIA ESTUARY.JPG - 46kB

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cardon Man

Yeah, that's unfortunate. What i don't get is why so many fly fishermen consider fish caught on other tackle unworthy of their attention. There are so many fun ways to catch fish. If you aren't casting the fly why not try another method?

Flyfishermen have a reputation (mostly undeserved) for being snobs.

There's been a large increase in flyfishing and flyfishermen in the last 15 years or so. Personally I think it's reached an extreme.

Anglers flyfish for everything now and feel it's better than the techniques used by others. The current thinking is that if you want the ultimate experience you pick up the flyrod. Actually IMO flyfishing is inappropriate for most species of saltwater gamefish.

It's my understanding that they are now pursuing bluefin tuna with 15wt flyrods. Why on earth would you do that?

In baja there aren't many species other than dorado that are appropriate for flyrods. Any species that sounds during a fight should not be pursued with a fly rod. It's not fun and it's unfair to the fish.

But when it comes to bugs and trout. It reigns supreme. Nothing comes close in fishing (except fishing saltwater flats ;) ).
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 03:50 PM

Quote:
Ultimate experience?Like my friend Nick Curcione once told me "It's hand lining that you can cast".That how I started fishing as a kid off the piers(Hand lining).I still enjoy it when fishing with the fisherman in Abreojos.
Pompano,yes it's dangerous.One of the people I met there was lost the following season.
I enjoy stream fishing for trout but I am terrible at it!!!Can't see and follow the fly,don't know when I am bit. Takes me forever just to tie a fly on my line.I am also a coward when it comes to wading Big, Fast waters! I fall all the time.Totally exhausted after fishing our local streams.Come to think of it,maybe I don't enjoy stream fishing.

whistler..you are not alone. I'm sure the locals are still telling the story about the time I was gurgling downstream in Soldotna, Alaska. I'm not kidding, either..I was in dire straits! A fisherman/guide who has become one of my best friends pulled me out..but I still had my damn flyrod! Cursed thing!!

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

lol.gif posted on 8-25-2010 at 04:40 PM
"So you're saying I need to keep my backcast up higher?"

bet this doesn't stay online for long ....

[Edited on 8-26-2010 by Skipjack Joe]

fly20fishing20blonde.jpg - 50kB
mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 08:25 PM

finally!...a fly fishing partner!!!...pomp...it's warrenton, not warrington...might be why you're confused...just got back from there fishing the famous "buoy 10" fishery...knocked em dead but combat fishing at it's best

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2010 at 08:28 PM

Igor..I need your gps coords..NOW!

Hey, thanks Mike...I am ALWAYS CONFUSED THESE DAYS.

[Edited on 8-26-2010 by Pompano]

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2010 at 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano

Igor..I need your gps coords..NOW!

36-23-36
stimbo
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2010 at 10:45 PM

Igor -- I want to go fishing with you.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.