Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: I love the smell of Corvina in the morning
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:07 PM
I love the smell of Corvina in the morning

Well, OK, it wasn't in the morning, just looking for a catchy phrase for the title.

Got home to Buena Vista early this afternoon and spent too much time carrying junk in from the car. Stopped by the store for provisions, put them away and sat down on the deck for a rest. I was looking out over the Sea of Cortez looking for a reason to grab my rod and make a cast or two but really didn't see anything motivating. I could see a few schools of sardina and some pelicans eating them but no angry fish.

Cacahuate was whining to go to the beach and fetch the ball so I grabbed a tennis ball and thought what the heck, I'll take my rod too. We walked down the beach throwing and retrieving the ball and I decided to make a cast.

First cast and it was "fish on'! I brought in a respectable corvina and would have released it but it had engulfed the lure (with 2 treble hooks) and I knew he wouldn't make it if I released him. The last thing I wanted to do tonight was clean fish but I had no choice now.

I threw him up on the beach and made another cast with the same result only this fish was quite a bit bigger. When I got him in I wished that I had caught him first, if I'm going to make a mess cleaning a fish it might as well be a big one but as he was only slightly hooked I released him. I knew that I could tell my Nomad brethren that I had caught a bigger one and they would believe me.

Cast out again and wham....same thing. This one put up a pretty good fight and was a nice fish, problem was that he had swallowed the whole lure like the first one. By the time I got him unhooked it was apparent that I would be cleaning him too.

Not wanting to take the chance of cleaning any more fish I decided to call it a night and come back tomorrow with a single hook lure and catch all their friends.

I cooked and ate 1 fillet of the smaller fish for dinner. Not only did I make a big mess cleaning them, I messed up the kitchen cooking it too. I'm glad Jill isn't here to see the mess but I wish she was here to clean it up......did I say that out loud? Please don't tell her, I can probably find someone to clean it up for a price.

It's great to be home......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:10 PM

dtbushpilot, Nice fish! Good luck tomorrow.:yes:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:11 PM

Nice... thanks..

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:32 PM

Hola neighbor/dtbushpilot, great surf fishing story, thank you. i always thought that corvina....errr....corbina....???? i don't know the difference, they had barbels under their jaws.

whatever, they are really good eating with a nice white meat. i love them steamed whole, chinese style.

i'm a tiny bit north of you in los barriles but if you need someone to clean them, ha, if you'll cook them, i'm your guy !!!!

what line test, how far out are you casting and what lures/baits are you using ? i wouldn't mind catching a few and keeping a few for dinner either just for myself or with friends.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:33 PM

Now you're talking! I really am going to have to buy a couple of those lure! What are they again?
Good luck tomorrow!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:42 PM

It looks like a big popper on that rod, but maybe it is just me misreading the photo. Popper fishing is fun.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:52 PM

Glad you and the boys made it home OK...you got da fishin juju amigo...now about throwing back all those halibut......

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 07:53 PM

Russ, the lure is a Rapala Sub Walk. I forget the color but I think it's called silver even though it isn't. I successfully use the 4" model but they make a bigger one too. That is my "go to" lure, I've caught everything that swims on it.......did you know that if you turn the word "swims over it spells the same word?

Hey rat, thanks a lot for speaking up after I made a mess, it's not too late to come over and help me clean it up.....

See above for the lure, they were only about 20 feet from shore, had to reel in a bit after casting out to get to them. I caught a nice one a couple of months ago in the same place.

These are CorVina. They have a big tooth on their upper jaw (you can see it in the picture) CorBina have that little thing on their chin. Every time we say the "C" word we get an education. We can either find an old post or wait till DK posts it for us......I love you DK, you da man....

They are great eating, I just ate one and I'm just about finished with the bottle of wine that I used to cook with.......I didn't actually put any wine in with the fish, I just drank it while I cooked.

I'd love to get together for a beer if you're down here, my MX cell number is 624-1370155.....dt

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Glad you and the boys made it home OK...you got da fishin juju amigo...now about throwing back all those halibut......

I wanted to clean fish even less when I was there. I guess I could have taken them back to the "Sunset Casita and cleaned and cooked them there.....that's the great thing about renting a room, you can trash the place and it's OK.......sorry about the mess by the way.

I haven't seen a post about the big Calicos. How did Stan and Juan do yesterday?

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 08:24 PM

Hola dtbushpilot, just give me a heads up and i'm on my way. oh....i need explicit instructions as i'm navigationally impaired but have great knives for cleaning. either by quad or car.

not too early in the morning though.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Hola dtbushpilot, just give me a heads up and i'm on my way. oh....i need explicit instructions as i'm navigationally impaired but have great knives for cleaning. either by quad or car.

not too early in the morning though.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

I live in the Playa Blanca condos, Yellow building 1km South of Mar y Sol on the beach.

Lets go fish...or have lunch....or a beer....or tell lies....no, wait, that's what we do on Nomads.

Where are you?

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Russ, the lure is a Rapala Sub Walk. I forget the color but I think it's called silver even though it isn't. I successfully use the 4" model but they make a bigger one too. That is my "go to" lure, I've caught everything that swims on it.......did you know that if you turn the word "swims over it spells the same word?

Hey rat, thanks a lot for speaking up after I made a mess, it's not too late to come over and help me clean it up.....

See above for the lure, they were only about 20 feet from shore, had to reel in a bit after casting out to get to them. I caught a nice one a couple of months ago in the same place.

These are CorVina. They have a big tooth on their upper jaw (you can see it in the picture) CorBina have that little thing on their chin. Every time we say the "C" word we get an education. We can either find an old post or wait till DK posts it for us......I love you DK, you da man....

They are great eating, I just ate one and I'm just about finished with the bottle of wine that I used to cook with.......I didn't actually put any wine in with the fish, I just drank it while I cooked.

I'd love to get together for a beer if you're down here, my MX cell number is 624-1370155.....dt

Back at you David (dt)! You get a big 'thatta boy' for using the correct fish name!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 04:40 AM

say hi to Jill for us!!!

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 04:57 AM

Ever try a popping float with a jig about 18 to 24 inches beneath it? Works on specks, reds, and flounders. Corvina are the Pacific version of the Atlantic speckled trout.:D
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 04:58 AM

I looked at the video, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owSLjrsOn1w&p=3DAED0AD2E6... on your lure in action and I wasn't impressed with the way it swims (spelled backwards) last time around so I didn't order any. But You keep posting your success with them so I just ordered 4. As always enjoy your posts & photos. Got any of your exploits in Asuncion? Rumor has it Juan got capsized launching the other day. Rouge waves:biggrin:

[Edited on 9-3-2010 by Russ]

s7_122448_renderset_09.jpg - 7kB

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 06:44 AM

That's the one russ. I usually use a fairly fast retrieve, I am usually targeting rooster fish and they seem to like things that move fast.

Had a good fishing trip with Juan, we caught some huge calicos. I think Shari is going to post a picture. We didn't capsize the boat, must have happened after I left. I caught 3 dinner size halibut in about 10 minutes from the beach using one of those Storm rubber fish in the anchovy pattern. I've never had much success with those things but that pattern seems to work. I've tried the sardine, mullet and shad patterns with no luck. There was lots of sea weed so it was a constant battle with that but a lot of fun. Out by the island we limited out on some of the biggest calicos I've ever seen. Juan caught one over 10lbs. I didn't have my camera so hopefully shari will post a picture. We were using all sorts of scampis and swim baits, it didn't seem to matter what we threw out there. I had particularly good luck with a 4" lime green with orange tail swim bait. At one point the rubber had been bitten off right at the hook and there was only a 1"piece of rubber left on the jig head. I threw it back out and....you guessed it, another fish.

Asuncion is a great fishing hole and Juan is a great fisherman, a hard combo to beat........dt

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 06:56 AM

I really like to use the soft baits but over here the trigger fish are brutal on them and they seldom get a chance to stay intact to reach other fish. My favorite is the white Scampy.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 07:22 AM

I've had the same problem, I guess anybody that uses swim baits does. It's a pain to have to tie on a new one every time, that's why I prefer a regular jig head swim bait, you just thread on a new body.

I've always had pretty good luck with the white twin tail scampis, Juan caught that toad calico on a blaze orange one

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 07:30 AM

Wow.. you guys are a wealth of information ... and must say dt.. that looks like some real fun with your set up and those size fish.. they are to me, pretty good size for casting off the beach ... really nice sized.. and good eating too... man.. doesn't get much better than that... can't imagine what you will be bringing in with that "boat" your looking at... good luck and take plenty of pictures... when your hands aren't too busy with the pole.. (that would be fishing pole) :lol:

And plus .. someone to clean them too .. :):) life is good

Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-3-2010 at 07:44 AM
I love the smell of corvina in the morning

You smell that? Do you smell that? corvina, son. Nothing else in the world smells like that. I love the smell of corvina in the morning. The smell, you know that fresh fish smell, the whole beach. Smelled like … tacos.

I watched the fillet crawl along the edge of a straight razor.

Charlie might not surf, but he sure as hell fishes!
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.