BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Mag Bay Report - Sept. 6 - Wahoo, Yellowfin, Marlin, Dorado, Yellowtail, etc.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:17 AM
Mag Bay Report - Sept. 6 - Wahoo, Yellowfin, Marlin, Dorado, Yellowtail, etc.

Yesterday and the day before I fished on the second two day trip in the last ten on the Pacific outside Mag Bay. I launched in Lopez Mateos and anchored overnight at Bahia Santa Maria both trips, fishing solo on a new Bluewater 23T I am breaking in.
On the first trip I caught the first wahoo this year out of Lopez Mateos on a double hook-up at Thetis Bank. Also 5 yellowfin 20 - 25 pounds, and 2 yellowtails that hit wahoo lures.
Saturday and yesterday I caught 3 more wahoo, 1 marlin, 2 yellowfin and 1 dorado.
Not a lot of fish for four days fishing, but a nice preview of the smorgasbord Thetis Bank and the environs will be offering up over the next few months.
Fishing conditions were moderate to good, and the surface water temperature ranged from 73 to 78+ degrees.
Over the four days I saw only one other small boat sport fishing, a panga with two gringo fishermen aboard.
Attached is a photo of the first two wahoo of the season, about 30#, that hit as a double.

bnh3.jpg - 24kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:20 AM

A nice hoo that came in the back door and bled out on the deck yesterday.

bnhi.jpg - 16kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:22 AM

Another hoo that bit on a Yo-Zuri Bonita.

bnh2.jpg - 17kB
msteve1014
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:22 AM

You are off to a good start with the new boat. I will be looking forward to more reports, good luck.
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:24 AM

A photo Ruben Duran snapped back in Lopez Mateos for Paul Skilowitz at Bluewater Boats in Fort Pierce, Fl. who built my new boat.

bnbw.jpg - 20kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:28 AM

A small striped marlin, around 80# or so, that bit Saturday in warm water south of Bahia Santa Maria. It was serving as host for two big healthy lampeys.

bnmarlin.jpg - 29kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:30 AM

A tortuga basking in the calm waters outside Boca de Soledad yesterday.

bntor.jpg - 18kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:34 AM

The entire panga fleet both in Lopez Mateos and on Isla Magdelena is loading up on the sharks teeming outside the island. Pick-up loads are on the streets, and the river in Lopez runs red at the various spots that the sharks are off-loaded.

bnsharks.jpg - 30kB
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:36 AM

The road from Insurgentes to Lopez Mateos is riddled with potholes, as is often the case in the fall before repairs are made in advance of the whale watching season. If you are towing in a boat, or just driving in naked, you would be well advised to take it slow.

bnph.jpg - 26kB
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 9-6-2010 at 10:59 AM

i love driving nekkid......:O

bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bill erhardt
A nice hoo that came in the back door and bled out on the deck yesterday.

Hi Bill,

Do you use wire leader on these type of lures for Wahoo? Are they jet-heads? If so, do you have good experiences with them?

Jerry

bajajurel
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 09:19 AM

Jerry......I use about 3' of 275# SS 49 strand cable, crimped, on wahoo lures. Yo-Zuri Bonitas are a swimming lure that will stay down up to 15 knots or so in good conditions. I usually have one on one side and a skirted lure on the other. No jet-heads. Wahoo seem to hit better on lures that stay under the surface and leave no trail at all. I run the line on the skirted lure through a flat-line clip to keep it down.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 09:28 AM

BILL....VERY NICE !! Save some for me.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 09:38 AM

Great Pics!!! Keep your tip up!!

Iflyfish
bajajurel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Jerry......I use about 3' of 275# SS 49 strand cable, crimped, on wahoo lures. Yo-Zuri Bonitas are a swimming lure that will stay down up to 15 knots or so in good conditions. I usually have one on one side and a skirted lure on the other. No jet-heads. Wahoo seem to hit better on lures that stay under the surface and leave no trail at all. I run the line on the skirted lure through a flat-line clip to keep it down.

Thanks for the info Bill! The wire is the same I have been using on my Yo-Zuri's. What color have you had the most success with - both the Yo-Zuri and skirted types?

Your advice is valued. Congrats on the new boat. I am looking at their web site now and drooling.

Too bad Loreto has been so slow this year - same as San Diego - very poor up here although I did bag a 42# white sea bass a few weeks ago.

[Edited on 9-7-2010 by bajajurel]

[Edited on 9-7-2010 by bajajurel]

bajajurel
bajajurel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
A photo Ruben Duran snapped back in Lopez Mateos for Paul Skilowitz at Bluewater Boats in Fort Pierce, Fl. who built my new boat.

What type of motor(s) did you have them put on your new boat? Where do you hang your hammock from? How did it handle going out Mag Bay? Ruben took me out last time piloting my boat - that is a tricky one!

bajajurel
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 10:23 AM

Roger......You're going to have to make it up and over the hill.......

Jerry......Light colors at sun-up, darker later. Pink/White, Red/Black, Blue/White on the skirted lures, Anything with orange and/or purple, or even black on Bonitas.
I got the T with a Suzuki DF300. Here is a picture of it on the way home.
I put an air mattress and sleeping bag on the forward deck, with a canvass dodger to keep the dew off on overnighters. The deck on the 23T has a couple of more feet than on the original Soledad. Feels like I could entertain up there......

TinCatavinia.jpg - 25kB
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 11:29 AM

Wow, beautiful boat! You are set!

Iflyfish
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 12:06 PM

bill erhardt, Thanks for the report and pictures. The boat is fantastic!:D
bajajurel
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-7-2010 at 08:02 PM

Quote:
Roger......You're going to have to make it up and over the hill.......

Jerry......Light colors at sun-up, darker later. Pink/White, Red/Black, Blue/White on the skirted lures, Anything with orange and/or purple, or even black on Bonitas.
I got the T with a Suzuki DF300. Here is a picture of it on the way home.
I put an air mattress and sleeping bag on the forward deck, with a canvass dodger to keep the dew off on overnighters. The deck on the 23T has a couple of more feet than on the original Soledad. Feels like I could entertain up there......

Man that's a nice rig! Did they deliver it to you or did you have to pick it up? Looks like you could have a fiesta on the deck. Again, thanks for the tips on the lures.
Regards, Jerry

bajajurel
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.