Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Baja Trip So Far
lukeandmegs

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 12:49 PM
Baja Trip So Far

Gday all,

Thought i would give you an update of our trip so far in Baja. We arrived from Aus and have been in Baja now for about 5 weeks. We bought a car in california and crossed the border up in Tijuana without any problems at all. Went trhough about 9am on a tuesday and it took about 10 minutes.

First stop was ensenada. Great little town and some good taquerias. did a great trip out to the valle de guadelupe wine region where we went to casa vieja (really nice lady and her husband that own the place and had a great time there before proceeding to La cetto. Needless to say the afternoon was a rightoff after that.

Next stop was San Quintin, camped in the camping ground 16km out of town (el papellon). Stayed a couple of nights but not hugely impressed with the beach and we were also looking for some warmer water so we made our way to Bahia De Los Angeles with a stopover at Catavina on the way, awesome drive with the landscape changing all the time, nothing like we have ever seen before.

Bahia was beautiful but really hot. PLus 40 degrees everyday, fortunately our palapa was only a few paces from the beach. Myself and Dave, a mate who was travelling with us for a few weeks, went out with Marcos, who runs a fishing charter and also lives in the same place we camped (cant remember the name of the place but is run by antonio, also a great guy who we had dinner and drinks with a couple of nights, it was on the way to punta gringa).

We started out targetting yellowtail but managed only one jigging before we headed a bit wider and found a heap of sierra. Ended up catching a 30 sierra which was a good day on the water. To add to this we saw heaps of whales and got up close to get a few good pics.

Next stop was Guerro Negro for a quick tour of the salt works and then onto Mulege.

Mulege was great, but once again pretty warm. We managed another trip out with Mateo sportfishing, however it was a bit quiet and only came in with one dorado, one kingfish and a few bass. Still a nice day on the water, we could see the dorado swimming around the boat but couldnt get them to take a bait (i think livies would have helped though). Megan and i also did 2 dives with Mick at cortez explorers, the first one at punta prieta which was ok, the second at playa burro which was fantastic, massive schools of fish and dog tooth snapper, as well as trigger fish etc.

Todos Santos was next via la paz. We stayed at a great place called san Pedrito surf hotel. Top spot with a good surf break out the front. This was a great place to just chill out and have beers watching the sunset.

Los Barilles was next, this was to keep the boys happy with another fishing trip. Headed out early on a Panga (a bit cheaper than the big sportfishing boats). The trip started well with a good strike early on, but lost after a few seconds. we then trolled for 7 hours without so much as a touch or a sighting of a pelagic. Then the captain spotted a few marlin jumping. Within a few minutes they were on the lines and the livey was tossed over the side for a good hookup, Dave then landed a good little sailfish around 90 pounds. Next it was my turn and it only took another five minutes before there was a fish on the lines, this time i landed a little striped marlin, around 60 pounds. Needless to say we were both pretty stoked, being our first sail and marlin, unfortunately by thgen it was well over time to head in. PS both fish released of course.

Cabo pulmo was next for some great snorkelling. plenty of big cod, angel fish and smaller fish abundant.

Then onto dave and Suz (our travelling companions for a few weeks) final destination of Cabo. We decided to stay there in style so we booked into Villa Del Arco on Playa Medano. They didnt have any rooms left so lucky for us we got an ugrade to a villa in the more flashy La Estancia, with a sea viuew room. we were stoked and had a great time partyyiung there, including a good night at El Squid Roe. We had one final fishing trip there which ended the trip on a high with nine dorado, up to about 20 pound and a couple of tuna.

Then it was time for dave and suz to fly back to aus and myself and megan decided that after all this constant moving, that we would just stay and relax in the one place for a while.

Soi now we are back outside Todos Santos staying again at San Pedrito Surf Hotel foir 10 days before our undecided next destination somewhere in baja.

So in recapping, despite all the bad press etc etc we have not been pulled over by a single policeman, or had anything but the nicest reception from everyone. No problems with feeling safe anywhere and never felt uncomfortable anywhere.

One final question, at the end of the month we will be leaving Baja for the mainland and need to sell the pickup we bought in california. The initial plan was to drive back to the states and sell the car, does anyone know if it is possible to sell it in baja as we would like to just catch the ferry across from la paz and save the drive back up to the states. It is just a GMC 4wd we paid $5k for in california. Any advice appreciated.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed the trip report as we have really enjoyed our baja experience so far.

Cheers,

Luke and Megs
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 01:01 PM

thanks for the report kids...sounds like a successful trip so far...how much for the truck???

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 03:09 PM

Thanks Luke & Megs for the trip report... Hope you have a safe trip back to Oz. You found Baja just the way most of us on Nomad do... a great place to escape civilization! Next time, go out to Bahia Asuncion (turn west at Vizcaino) and let Juan and Shari show you an awesome time!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 06:26 PM

read your posts with interest-if you do go back to Cali you can visit us-we are south of Rosarito-
mi casa es su casa!
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 09:08 PM

Taking your vehicle to Mex mainland will require lots of paperwork and $$ deposit intended to keep folks from selling US cars in Mexico...better to return to sell it in USA and bus it back through mainland....

Have a fish taco feed for me, please:saint:

Don't believe everything you think....
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-6-2010 at 10:33 PM

Great trip report... thanks for sharing. Sell the truck back in the USA, for sure. You guys know how to make a great vacation.
Bob H
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:10 AM

The San Pedrito Surf Hotel is a good spot. Parked my RV there occasionally when Cyril owned the place. Are there any/many campers on the beach just north of the hotel where the RV park used to be? I camped there a bunch of times in the 90s before the hurricanes wiped it out. Used to be palapas, showers, toilets, bar, restaurant, swimming pool. All right there at the beach. Lots of parties, borracho ball, good surf. Great memories!!

Also, I recently sold a truck with California plates to a local in Baja. No problem, take the money, sign over the title. Let them worry about the details.

[Edited on 10-7-2010 by k-rico]
BooJumMan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 07:53 AM

When you say mainland, are you talking about going over to Mainland Mexico? If so wow that is one heck of a vacation! :)

I'd probably just take the ferry over with the truck, just cause I'd like to drive down in my own vehicle.
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BooJumMan
I'd probably just take the ferry over with the truck, just cause I'd like to drive down in my own vehicle.

You may have some difficulty taking that truck across.
Ca. plates and likely an aussie licence will be questioned. I'm with Rico, sell, preferably to a gringo, but otherwise anyone, and let them figure out the paperwork, etc. Doubt they would hold Aussies accountable like they do us Americans.
And they would have to find you in any case.:biggrin::biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 11:08 AM

Sounds like a fun trip---thanks for sharing.

K-rico, we were wondering what happened at that spot on the point at San Pedrito when we saw it last July, thanks.
lukeandmegs

[*] posted on 10-7-2010 at 03:11 PM

Thanks all for the replies.

Shari - probably looking to sell the truck for about $3.5k. If we end up driving back up to the states we will drop in and check out your place.

Thanks for the offer Krafty, we will send you a message if we get back up that far.

David K, not heading back to Aus just yet, we have a year off to travel all the way through central and south america. Will go overland through most countries and end up somewhere down near patagonia for a ski season next year before we head back to aus.

We dont want to take our truck across to the mainland as you all say there is a heap of paperwork and then we definitely would have to make our way back up to the states to sell the truck before we could leave mexico.

K Rico - at the moment there arent any campers on the beach around san pedrito, it is really quiet with only us staying in the hotel. The surf is not crowded at all, the owner, now Andy, says it doesnt get busy till November when it starts getting really busy.

Vandenberg - good advice, cheers. Will see how we go.

Cheers,

Luke and Megs
astrobaja
Senior Nomad

Mood: beam me up

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 01:56 PM

Cool report! If you fell like checking out the Sierra San Pedro Martir on the way back up stop by our place! San Pedro Martir is a sky island with lots of endemic species of plants and animals!
You can get some apples from our orchard to eat on your way back up, we have too many!

cheers!

Mike

\"There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable.There is another theory which states that this has already happened\"

Douglas Adams

our website: http://bajadarkskies.com
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-8-2010 at 09:25 PM

very interesting report - you are certainly visiting Baja end to end ! If you do go to Asuncion (and you should get back north and do the Pacific side), please do it thru La Bocana, so we can meet you all too, not only that, the caost road is a better one: take highway 1 north, exit to punta abreojos (great for surfing), head north on th salt flat 10 miles and voila. Look for Calle Erizo - far north end. You can camp, stay at our B & B or just pass thru on the way to Asuncion.

I am guessing you are going to the copper canyon - if you type those words into the search link, there is tons of great advice I got when we went last May .... and I also did a trip report if you want current info.

Have a safe rest of trip and hope you can sell the car easily !!

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-9-2010 at 02:38 AM

you can't take that truck to mainland on the ferry anyway unles you bought the auto permit req'd mainland in TJ. if not you are restricted to baja with it.
found that out with my Nissan and ford 250 diesel both which i drove in from Tecate and TJ.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
k-rico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-9-2010 at 06:56 AM
Forbidden Fruit

Quote:
Originally posted by astrobaja
You can get some apples from our orchard to eat on your way back up, we have too many!

cheers!

Mike

I always enjoy forbidden fruit, it's tastier. How about going south? Can apples legally go from BC to BCS? If not, I'll stop and get a peck or two on my way to Mulege.

[Edited on 10-9-2010 by k-rico]
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 10-9-2010 at 06:25 PM

Sell the truck in Baja. NOT IN MAINLAND MEXICO.
lukeandmegs

[*] posted on 10-10-2010 at 03:53 PM

thanks astrobaja and bajablanca, if we head back up we will definitely send you a message and stop in. cheers.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.