Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Maria Corona
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2010 at 02:04 PM
Maria Corona

The guy behind the Baja Cantina located on the marina in Cabo for what seems like decades opened Maria Corona in June 2009. It's located several blocks up from the main drag, and is around the corner on the same block as Mocambo. First good aspect is that like Mocombo, Maria Corona has free off-street parking.

The restaurant is strikingly beautiful. The menu consists of many different regional dishes not found in just any restaurant in town. Huitlacoche and flor de calabaza are two of which I speak. The pork shank done Yucatan style is to die for.

Their prices are significantly lower than you would expect for such variety and quality.

They have live music every night. It's not strolling musicians that demand a price, but rather they are on a stage that has a tip jar in front.

Here's a link to a brief You Tube video, and another to their menu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_Df1Hc8U1I&feature=playe...

http://www.loscabosguide.com/menus/mariacorona.htm
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 10-13-2010 at 05:38 PM

BHO I have probably eaten at Martia Corona's about 6 times since they opened. My first experience there was good but not great. The beans were inedible. We decided to give them another try and were impressed by their progress. We put them on our "recommended" list. However, they expanded and raised their prices. the last time we were their, they were busy and the service was terrible with 3 different waiters introducing themselves throughout the meal that took a loooooong time to serve (and it was cold) as our waiter. The cold food was mediocre and the prices weren't justified. We have opinions from others that they agree that food quality has suffered and prices have increased. Consequently, we have removed Maria Corona from our personal recommended list.

I know the regional cuisine of which you speak. Our two favorite restaurants in San Lucas for regional cuisine are La Fonda and Los Tres Gallos. They are both on our recommended list.

Keep the reports coming.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 10-13-2010 at 06:06 PM

Restaurant customers are a fickle crowd. One man's filets are another mans feces. Go freakin' figure.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-14-2010 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
BHO I have probably eaten at Martia Corona's about 6 times since they opened. My first experience there was good but not great. The beans were inedible. We decided to give them another try and were impressed by their progress. We put them on our "recommended" list. However, they expanded and raised their prices. the last time we were their, they were busy and the service was terrible with 3 different waiters introducing themselves throughout the meal that took a loooooong time to serve (and it was cold) as our waiter. The cold food was mediocre and the prices weren't justified. We have opinions from others that they agree that food quality has suffered and prices have increased. Consequently, we have removed Maria Corona from our personal recommended list.

I know the regional cuisine of which you speak. Our two favorite restaurants in San Lucas for regional cuisine are La Fonda and Los Tres Gallos. They are both on our recommended list.

Keep the reports coming.

You've got more experience than me when it comes to Maria Corona. I thought the food was quite good, as was the service. It was also among the busiest restaurants we encountered in town. That said, I was unaware of Los Tres Gallos. I actually flipped a coin between Maria Corona and La Fonda. La Fonda lost.

Pregunta- I know that La Fonda was started by the Solmar people, who appear to be the only hotel operators in town that run offsite restaurants. Am I correct that Solmar no longer owns it, and that they sold it to the chef? Thought that's what I heard.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
That said, I was unaware of Los Tres Gallos.

LTG is only open for 6 months. It is owned by the concierge at the Hilton. It is located directly across the street from Comfort Inn in "downtown" San Lucas. It is very small. Only enough room for 12 people at a time. We really llike it for Mexican food out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Am I correct that Solmar no longer owns it, and that they sold it to the chef? Thought that's what I heard.

Hmmmm, that is interesting. Yes they were owned by the Solmar people and I thought they still were. But a friend who eats there frequently went back 2 weeks ago and said things have changed - prices were up and food quality down plus they are now open for breakfast which is a real departure. I'm going to check this out. This would be real discouraging. Maybe I'll I have to give Maria Corona another try. Well, there's always LTG.

[Edited on 10-15-2010 by oxxo]
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 03:17 PM

If you go to the Solmar website, their dining options list the usual suspects such as Galeon and Romeo Y Julietta. But La Fonda is not listed. What is listed is Hacienda Coyote. That's what they replaced their rather unsuccessful Sea Queen restaurant with, right at the circle. Didn't go in, but from the looks of it and the signage, it would appear to be another attempt at gourmet Mexican. Not to mention that it's much closer to their resort properties, and seems much larger.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 10-15-2010 at 04:38 PM

As many times as we have walked pass the Hacienda Coyote, we have only seen a few people actually eating. Would like to hear a report before trying it...best I remember their prices are a little on the high side.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 01:36 PM

Judging from the description on this page, it really looks to me like Hacienda Coyote is the Solmar group's new version of La Fonda. Cochinita Pibil, Oaxacan Tamales, Mole Poblano.

http://www.loscabosguide.com/haciendaelcoyote/index.html

Not sure where you're getting your price info. I'd think that the litmus test would be a comparison to the prices at La Fonda under Solmar ownership.
oxxo
Banned

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 01:47 PM

Quote:
Cochinita Pibil, Oaxacan Tamales, Mole Poblano.

Los Tres Gallos has a similar menu.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 02:21 PM

It was around the first week of June and as we were walking down the street we stopped to read the menu. We had already eaten dinner and noticed there was no one in this establishment...just the waiters standing outside on the sidewalk. It was about 8:30 pm. After that night each time we would either walk or drive down the street we would look to see what was going on. I wish them luck and hope they become very successful.

We have eaten at La Fonda's on several times...usually when someone is in town or there is a group of us going. I have always enjoyed their pozole and I think their prices are also on the high side.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
Quote:
Cochinita Pibil, Oaxacan Tamales, Mole Poblano.

Los Tres Gallos has a similar menu.

I will definitely check it out. But, in the meantime, you might just want to give a go at Hacienda Coyote to determine if it is Solmar's new La Fonda.
karenintx
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-16-2010 at 03:27 PM

If they are in the Solmar family then they will accept the Los Cabos Guide's 35% discount coupons.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.