BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trip crossing 10/24
bbalow

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 11:21 AM
Trip crossing 10/24

If we cross at Tecate, catch MX 2 at the bottom of the hill and follow it to El Florido then Blvd 2000 to Popotla then 1 to Cantamar to 1D to El Sauzal-is that the current best way and is it well signed?
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 12:34 PM

IMO, yes!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 01:19 PM

no...

hook up to the 15 south from arcata
then to the 5 south

cross at tj

pay the tolls

way better

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 01:40 PM

I agree. Especially someone coming down from NorCal. Using Tecate headed S/B doesn't seem to me to do anything but add time and miles to the trip.
SoCal-Bob
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 01:52 PM

I guess that depends on where you coming from in the States.

I live on the CA coast, so it doesn't make sense to me to travel east to Tecate to cross and then head back west on that side of the border. Crossing at Ysidro (have done) or Otay (have not done but plan to) makes more sense for where I'm coming from.

When I did a mileage comparison crossing at San Ysidro and then south on the Toll Road compared to crossing at Otay and south on Blvd 2000 to Popotla, the mileage difference was minimal. You save $4.40 in tolls by taking the Otay to Blvd 2000 route but add about 12-15 miles to the trip.

I haven't compared the extra travel miles from San Diego to Tecate.

Also note, friends of mine who crossed at Mexicali on Monday and headed west to Tecate said the road construction south of Tecate on Mex-2 was worse than the road construction south of Ensenada. I drove through the road construction south of Ensenada this past weekend and it is slow.

stay safe whichever way you chose.

[Edited on 10-20-2010 by SoCal-Bob]
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-20-2010 at 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
no...

hook up to the 15 south from arcata
then to the 5 south

cross at tj

pay the tolls

way better

I wouild agree to that BUT, the OP said he was crossing at TECATE.

Here is the question: "If we cross at Tecate, catch MX 2 at the bottom of the hill and follow it to El Florido then Blvd 2000 to Popotla then 1 to Cantamar to 1D to El Sauzal-is that the current best way and is it well signed? "

[Edited on 10-20-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bbalow

[*] posted on 10-21-2010 at 08:49 PM

Hey Nomads: Thanks for your help. We're off on Friday.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.