BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Remington 700 - If you own a Remington 700 and missed this the other night you must watch it!!!
bajajurel
Nomad

Mood: Fishing for fun

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 09:12 AM
Remington 700 - If you own a Remington 700 and missed this the other night you must watch it!!!

This report talks about the rifle misfiring even with the safety on.

I have owned my Remington 700 for years and it has put a lot of meat on the table. I have never had a problem with mine and never heard of this problem before but I will surely investigate this next time I take it out to the range to sight it in. Be careful if you own one.

US show times
Sunday, October 24th 10p ET
Thursday, October 28th 8p |12a ET
Monday, November 1st 1a | 4a ET
Wednesday, November 3rd 1a ET

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39554936/

Pass this around to friends that may own one.

Jerry
<*)))>{

bajajurel
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 10-22-2010 at 09:15 AM

saw it and it is pretty scary when that guy touches the bolt and the gun fires.... without ever touching the trigger.

of course, the company denies there is a problem.

billgow

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 07:36 AM

Anytime a crackpot outfit like CNBC takes a swipe at guns in any way, we should exercise a healthy amount of skepticism.

I’m a match shooter. Most high power match rifles use the Remington 700 action as its basis. It’s a simple, robust and extremely reliable action. The Remington trigger can be adjusted to a fine match level but shouldn’t be touched by anyone who doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s also possible to adjust it to unsafe levels. People who don’t know what they’re doing should leave them alone.

Not only is the stock Remington trigger an excellent mechanism, several after market triggers are designed almost exactly the same!

Here’s something to think about – If a gun goes off, for any reason, and a bullet strikes another person, is the person handling the firearm responsible? I say yes! Rule #1 is never point a firearm at anyone, ever.

I’ll bet every one of these accidents had two fatal flaws. 1) some fool monkeyed around with the trigger adjustment and 2) some fool pointed their rifle at someone else.
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 07:46 AM

What does this have to do with Baja?

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
Bwana_John
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 08:03 AM

The model 700 trigger that was faulty was the one that will not allow the bolt to open when engaged, and Remington has had a recall on it for many years.
Some triggers would discharge when the safety was disengaged.

This is old news being rehashed by anti-gun media.

The new 700 trigger CAN be adjusted by idiots, but it is a good trigger if adjusted correctly.

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by Bwana_John]
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 08:45 AM

For some insight as to what certain 'news' organizations do to gun ownership and hunting...

..just do a little search on "Guns of Autumn." That program had about the same objectivity as the Rem. 700 report.

http://www.evesun.com/news/stories/2009-09-10/7813/The-Guns-...

I've shot a few thousand target rounds with my 700, and most big game in Baja and mainland Mexico..except gun-biased reporters, but time is on my side. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 10-27-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Steve&Debby
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 08:47 AM

NEVER POINT A GUN AT SOMEONE ,LOADED OR UNLOADED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its always the guns fault,not the person handleing the gun:?::?:
3464james
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-27-2010 at 09:19 AM

As a former armorer, I have accurized and repired numerous Remington 700's. The problem is always the same: Someone wants to decrease the trigger pull from the factory setting, aprox. 6lbs to something less thatn 2 lbs and not correctly adjust the sear engagement at the same time. The result is the same, slam fires, or the firing pin drops on the de-activation of the safety.
Easy check on all trigger jobs. c-ck the bolt, safety off, and bounce it on the floor several times. With the safety on, pull the trigger, hard, disegage safety and see if the firing pin releases. If any of these ocurrs; you have an incorrectly adjusted trigger, take it to a competant gunsmith and not a reformed key cutter and have him adjust it properly, then do your own safety check.

The trigger is one of the best on the market, it is adjustable, by a competant armorer or gunsmith and the factory has taken the precaution of sealing the threads on the trigger adjustments with an epoxy. If the expoxy is damaged the warranty is voided. Not a problem with the government.
The older style safety on the 700's locked the bolt and when you pushed it off, the safety was disengaged, before you opened the bolt. Remington did a notice on this and you could have the safety modified by them for about $20.00. Never was a big thing. People who were familiar with their weapon realized this and exercised Rule #1: Never point your weapon at any thing you are not intending to destroy. Works every time!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.