Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Master Cylinder Brand Recommendations
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 06:52 PM
Master Cylinder Brand Recommendations

Since Ken Cooke has declared the board slow today, and I respect the opinions of the gear heads on this site:

I'm looking to replace my leaking MC.

It is leaking where it mates with the brake booster. The last time I noticed this, I did not jump on top of it, and it led to a stressful adventure in a remote part of the Pacific NW.

I wound up pulling a MC from a Junked Van that was barely recognizable as a Dodge it was so rusted. I kept that one for 2 years before I replaced it preemptively. Unfortunately I got a cheap remanufactured MC from Pep boys which is now leaking.

So what brands of NEW MC's have you or your friends have had good/bad luck with?

Here's a List of available MC brands I've found for my Dodge:

Bendix
Cardone Select
Centric
Dorman
Raybestos
Wagner
Coni-Seal
AC Delco
Brake Best Hardware
Fenco
Kelsey-Hayes
Napa (don't know who makes them for Napa but they reference both Dorman and Wagner part numbers, but the PICs do not look similar to either)

I am not considering MOPAR OEM, mainly for price($142), or the fact they have not been used since '93 in a w 150, and I do not one that has possibly been sitting on a shelf for 17 years with it's seals drying out.

Also if you care to recommend a good brake pad which will grab the disc better, feel free. My brakes are a little too anemic for my loaded down campervan.

The only brake item that I have not yet replaced is the front flexible hydraulic hoses, and they will be ordered/bought and replaced at the same time as the MC.

Let the opinions fly!
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 07:43 PM

Wow, 16 views, no replies. Things are slow.

Perhaps many do not now what a master cylinder is and opened the thread merely from curiosity.

Feel free to derail this topic if you feel the need to type, but try to keep it out of the realm of politics.

But perhaps we can somehow blame the fact that most of the above brands have moved manufacturing to Asia, and we can blame Obama.

I'll blame Palin, and Hillary
UnoMas
Nomad

Mood: Great

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 07:52 PM

As in most case's you get what you pay for:light: The OEM master cylinder would be a good bet and doubt that it has been sitting on a shelf for 17 yrs. as you are not the only one that has crassed this bridge. With brakes the life time brakes will last longer but are usually hard so they don't wear as fast but don't stop you as well either. Raybestos and Bendix are names that have been around for many years in the brake industry that I have used, would not go AC Delco on a Mopar:lol: Just remember your life and others may depend on your choice:light:
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 08:07 PM

I never really considered the AC Delco, mainly because my stalwart Bowtie buddies think that they are absolute top dog on each and every replacement component and won't believe that AC/D like everybody else moved a significant portion of manufacturing overseas.

AC D is also just about the most expensive too.

The photos of the Raybestos MC actually shows "Made in USA" stamped on the MC's Iron casting, but who knows how old the photo is. I've certainly ordered parts which do not look like the application specific parts shown in the photos.

If only there were a way to determine where a part was made before ordering. Seems like many of the parts sold in AP stores are removed from the plastic wrappers and stuffed in whatever box has the most brand recognition. The stuff I order online is usually still sealed in plastic with a "Made in China/ Thailand" sticker on it.

The Box will say made in USA, and I'm sure the cardboard box itself indeed might be.

Shame the way things have gone. Ever think this country could respond the way we did in late '41?
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-23-2010 at 08:14 PM

ola,as a mech...master.....almost all parts ..out now are crap!! I would talk to the closet brake supply place and visit them in person and ask them ....man to man....what they would put on their kids,wife ,sisters car...thats what its has come down to
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 12:30 PM

My experience is that if you want it to last a long time get the OEM parts from the dealer. If it's no big deal or you're not keeping the vehicle for a long time then get it from most any auto parts store or a pick your part salvage yard.
Maderita
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 06:03 PM

A brake master cylinder is not a part which I would replace with a used part. Saving a few dollars is not worth sacrificing reliability or safety.

If cost is a huge factor, then perhaps you could rebuild it with a kit. Most MC's are easy to rebuild yourself. If the cylinder is scored or pitted slightly, it could be honed. If deeply pitted, then trash it.

I'd go with the best part available at Napa. My experience with rebuilt parts from Pep Boys, Kragen, AutoZone is that the quality/reliability is crap.

New front rubber brake lines and new MC might provide a firmer pedal.
Old brake lines swell and expand under pressure, diverting some fluid from going to the calipers. Aftermarket stainless steel braided brake lines, with their low expansion rate, might give some improvement, but that's an extra expense for unknown results.

If your rotors are even slightly warped, that will have a negative effect at the pedal and reduce stopping power. If you are putting on new pads, then either turn, or replace the rotors if they are beyond specs.

Do you have the stock size tires? If your van has taller tires, that will make your rig harder to stop.
All too often the manufacturers use brakes that are barely enough to do the job. Add taller tires or more weight to your rig and the brakes become dangerously inadequate.
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 07:08 PM

Thanks for the Input.

While I did pull a MC out of a junked Van in a rainstorm in the PAC NW, it was only because there was not an AP store for 200 miles. I could not even get any brake fluid, and just kept what was in the reservoirs. I could not really even bleed the lines, and when I installed the used MC, my brake pedal felt exactly like before the previous MC started to go bad. I think it was over 2 years before I did any more brake work. Short of bleeding them properly with fresh fluid when I got back to civilization.

Funny thing is that MC was not leaking when I replaced it. I just assumed it had to be close.

After further research, I am about 85% sure the Napa ultra premium MC is made by Wagner. Federal Mogul who owns the Wagner brand says their MC's are made in Alabama.

I have not yet rebuilt a MC. The Raybestos rebuild kit costs 24 dollars. A brand new Raybestos MC costs 33.

I have not been able to find bolt in stainless flexible brake lines, but some new Bendix brand lines should be good for a while. AFAIK, the lines on there now could be 22 years old. They are at least 9.

The tires are stock sized on stock rims, though I might plan on replacing them with tires 0.6 inches taller, when I can afford to do so.

My rotors are only 2 years old, and have less than 6 k miles on them. Besides some surface rust, the rotor surface is fine. No grooves.
I am generally easy on the brakes, it is just those times when someone well in front of me locks up their brakes in an attempt to stop before an intersection with traffic cameras, I find my brakes inadequate.

Kind of funny "they" claim to have installed the cameras to reduce accidents and the rear end incidents have doubled everywhere they are installed.

At this point I am leaning toward the Wagner MC. $32 free shipping ,or the Cardone Select(new) for 26$ with $11.50 shipping. Hardly wallet busting prices, but my wallet is pretty thin these days.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 10-24-2010 at 09:46 PM
brakes

suggestion,run the wagners,they fit better and are not as noisy
landyacht318
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-25-2010 at 01:34 AM

I went with the Wagner MC, and Bendix rubber brake lines. Couldn't find braided stainless without custom ordering for 150$+

If I notice no improvement in braking I'll probably try Wagner's severe duty carbon metallic pads.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.