Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Brighten up Baja - LED light thread
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 11:12 PM
Brighten up Baja - LED light thread

Anyone following the latest innovations from Truck Lite? The new innovation is not w/HID, but LED, and the prices lower than HID's

- $299/pair 7".

[Edited on 11-6-2010 by Ken Cooke]

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-5-2010 at 11:17 PM

Ken... I have been watching those ads ... In your photos, is the one brighter/ whiter light the LED and the other stock halogen... or is it just the angle?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

dtutko1
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 05:57 AM

We use them in our solar powered airstream. The bright white has poor color rendition, not good for reading, but very low power draw and aceptable for basic illumination. This year we are bringing down new generation led lights with 24 leds in each bulb replacement and better color rendition. We'll see if it is acceptable for reading, and report back. General lighting in our palapa are bright white led landscaping rope lights. I have them wired with 3 switchs for different light levels. They work well.

Dorado Don
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Ken... I have been watching those ads ... In your photos, is the one brighter/ whiter light the LED and the other stock halogen... or is it just the angle?

On the left is an LED Headlamp assembly, and on the right is a "Fatboy"type Halogen lamp with upgraded reflector.

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 07:39 AM

Ken, how many watts do the LED headlights consume?
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 08:44 AM

Ken

I have LEDs on interior and tail lights of my TJ because of "quick on" and longevity (I can leave them on all night w/o severe battery discharge) but use HID headlights for really great down the off-road illumination. Also I understand LEDs run hotter and are sensitive to atmospheric conditions. What has been your experience thus far?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 09:03 AM

Just for gee whiz factor.. pot growers (inside) are switching to the LED's much less heat and much less power.... however the cost to switch... around $2,500

http://tinyurl.com/32sqj6h

from the Washington Post...

BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 11:00 AM

Hola ken,

thank you for starting this thread.

i bought two battery operated led motion detectors at home depot in cabo and the light produced was just enough to see inside my room which was good enough for me to see in case of a power failure.

can you direct me to a good source for lighting my palapa, preferably, a battery operated or hard wired motion detector for night time under palapa that throws a lot of light although your thread seems directed towards vehicle lighting ?

i thank you in advance,

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
BajaRat
Super Nomad

Mood: Ready for some salt water with my Tecate

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 07:08 PM

We use these from IKEA ~ LED and Solar...win, win. Plus, with the multiple LEDs, they are great for reading and no batteries to deal with!

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90154371

[Edited on 11-7-2010 by BajaRat]
bajamedic
Nomad

Mood: Just waitin for baja

[*] posted on 11-6-2010 at 07:19 PM

Ken,
Are there any aftermarket or add on type of lights that utilize the LEDs, something like either a fog or driving light that will mount to a light bar, push bar or bumper, etc? I would also prefer something that has been tested or used by someone you know. JH
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
Ken

I have LEDs on interior and tail lights of my TJ because of "quick on" and longevity (I can leave them on all night w/o severe battery discharge) but use HID headlights for really great down the off-road illumination. Also I understand LEDs run hotter and are sensitive to atmospheric conditions. What has been your experience thus far?

My experience has been extremely limited. I bought a $10 Smittybilt LED Flashlight in June that I took on a trip to Baja in July with David K, my wife and his wife. It has a cool laser pointer, and can be used as a "Shop light" as well. It did not consume the AA batteries that came bundled with it, and works very well. I figure that a set of headlights would also provide excellent lighting with very low amperage draw.

Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 11:39 AM

Ken I put thosr HID lights on my truck and all I can say is they kick but!
Found a guy in SD who put them on my low beams and fogs for a litle more than $100 bucks they are a must for Baja!

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexicorn
Ken I put thosr HID lights on my truck and all I can say is they kick but!
Found a guy in SD who put them on my low beams and fogs for a litle more than $100 bucks they are a must for Baja!

HID or LED are my dream to run in Baja. I am sick of my low-wattage/high-amperage halogens.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-7-2010 at 09:42 PM

Check out the off road lights from Baja Designs... HID and LED for racers and pre-runners: http://www.bajadesigns.com

Ken a couple of their 8" La Paz HID lamps would be sweet on your Jeep! Only about $325 each.

Or go all the way with a pair of LED lights at $450 each!

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

eureka.gif posted on 11-7-2010 at 10:06 PM
I will take a pair of LED lights, please!

Quote:
Originally posted by David KOr go all the way with a pair of LED lights at $450 each!

[Edited on 11-8-2010 by David K]

Four of these on my lightbar with headlight LED conversion lamps would have my Jeep Baja ready.:bounce:

PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:52 AM

Guys, if you are patient, the best deal for off-road lighting are the Hella Xenon 4000 lights.

They are heavy and have a lot of wind resistance and new technology is making them less desirable for racing but, they are awesome for casual off-roading. Nothing IMSO puts out a better beam.

If you look hard enough, you can find lights with blown ballasts for super cheap. The ballasts are a dime a dozen on Ebay as they came OEM with many euro cars.

An example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-03-Used-BMW-5-Series-OEM-H...

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!

-- A simple operating practice.

‘Global warming’ has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices.

-- Prof. P. Stott

Time was, people warning the world \"Repent - the end is nigh!\" were snickered at as fruitcakes.

Now they own the media and run the schools.
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:57 AM

Ken you should never put floods on the light bar.

Here is how we roll for off-road racing with the new car.

Front bumper:

2x 4" Eagle Eye, Euro beam HID's
2x 4" Eagle Eye, Flood beam HID's

Side Upper Cowl: These are always on. and help slower cars see you when we come up behind them in the daylight.

2x 4" Eagle Eye, Pencil beam HID's

Roof:

6x 4" Eagle Eye, Pencil beams HID's
4x 4" Eagle Eye, Euro beam HID's

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!

-- A simple operating practice.

‘Global warming’ has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices.

-- Prof. P. Stott

Time was, people warning the world \"Repent - the end is nigh!\" were snickered at as fruitcakes.

Now they own the media and run the schools.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PJC
Ken you should never put floods on the light bar.

The Hella FF50s were an OEM option through the Tomb Raider package. This setup has been extremely reliable. My aftermarket 150w KCs need to be reexamined as the wiring/relay stopped working recently.

Cyanide41
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajamedic
Ken,
Are there any aftermarket or add on type of lights that utilize the LEDs, something like either a fog or driving light that will mount to a light bar, push bar or bumper, etc? I would also prefer something that has been tested or used by someone you know. JH

http://www.rigidindustries.com/Off-Road-LED-Lights-s/89.htm

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.