Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Trip from Top to Bottom of Baja Completed
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 04:55 PM
Trip from Top to Bottom of Baja Completed

Now, I can check off my driving my jeep down to the tip of Baja from San Diego. My wife and I crossed the border from San Diego after a doctor's appointment about 2pm and drove down as far as San Quintin before it started to get dark. We stayed at the Maria Celeste Hotel just as you get about midway through town. Cost was about $36 and room was good for a one night, especially if you are leaving early next day. Very clean and beds were ok not overly hard,LOL. Good air conditioner also and t.v. Good resturant next door. Next day we started out at 7am and met another non-named nomad that views this site but does not write on it who lives in Seattle Washington. He and his wife were going to Todo Santos and have been doing this drive for many years. They warned me about getting fuel as out of San Quintin to Santa Rosalia was a long run without any service stations. I carry two 5 gallon jerrycans on back of my jeep so I was not worried. They planned to stay in Santa Rosalia at the El Moro Hotel, which they had stayed at every time they came down. We got to Santa Rosalia at about 1pm so decided to drive on in to Loreto. The roads are torn up due to bridges being put in and it appears they are putting in about 120 different size bridges throughout Baja, which will make the trip better in the future. This time slowed us down a lot and my jeep was really muddy due to the water trucks wetting the dirt side roads they were making everyone get onto.

We stayed at the La Mission Hotel in Loreto, which cost about $125 for the night but beds were soooo comfortable, jacuzzi, pool, great bar with great food. Met another couple who were also headed to Todo Santos as they purchased a home there and this would be their first time staying for any length of time. They had just retired like I had and really looking forward to the new Mexican way of life. Real nice people and had a great jeep also. Again the road work is all the way down and thus we got into Loreto about 7:20pm and yes it was dark, we broke our rule of no night driving due to road work.

Next morning we took off at about 10am as we were just planning on staying in La Paz two days before going on into Cabo San Lucas for a week stay. The road out of Loreto starts to climb and for my 4 cylinder jeep it was 3rd gear time a lot but when we came downward into Bahia Concepcion what a beautiful site. Such clear light blue water pops up at you while driving out of the mountain area, just a site everyone should experience at least once. Heard about it many times here and now we personally know that feeling of "No Hurry No Worry Just FUN" relief we always talk about. More road work and bridges but made it into La Paz ok. Now, the "Oh No Not That Adventure Began."

As we got into La Paz looking for the 7 Crowns Hotel our Jeep suddenly started to steam out from under the hood. I pulled over immediately and I had been checking my temperture constantly with no hint of heating up issues and oil was checked closely too with no problem. Well, the head had cracked in my jeep as I had oil in my radiator. Just then a mechanic came out of a shop just about two businesses up from where I was parked. He said he could fix it and thus we agreed upon a price to which we paid over half of it. This was so he could get started and we headed over to the 7 Crowns by Taxi.

Upon getting to the 7 Crowns my wife wanted to check the room first before we agreed to stay there due to the jeep needing our attention for possibly more days than planned. The bed was too hard and room just had an unpleasant smell to her. I was staying in the taxi with our stuff and then the taxi driver suggested the Marina Hotel. We tried the Pearl not far from 7 Crowns but it too was a no go by wife. So, we took the taxi drivers advise and went to the Marina Hotel. The room was good, the beds could be slept on without thinking you were on concrete and great view of the Marina with sooo many yacths costing millions docking there. Nice walkway around the docked boats, several good places to eat right there and hotel resturant is very good as well. The price was about $64 dollars a night but not bad at all for what you were getting. Coming up the angel to our rescue,LOL.

WE met a young lady by the name of Gabriela who was working the front desk. My wife and her hit it off talking about La Paz and my wife also explained our problem with our jeep along with leaving it with a mechanic we nothing about. The young lady asked if we would like her take us back over there when she got off at 4:30pm, so she could talk to the mechanic with us to make sure what he was suppose to do with the jeep and price.

At 4:30pm we meet Gabriela at the parking lot which allowed us to get settled in our room and get a couple of cool drinks before heading down to deal with our jeep problems. Gabriela had called her father who also buys and sells vehicles in La Paz. He goes up to Mexicali and Tijuana a lot bringing cars or trucks back to sell. He agreed to buy the parts we needed and get our old parts to make sure repairs were as promised. The mechanic again told us a price which we had already given him over half and it was still the same. So, Gabriela told us she was off the next day and would take us to downtown to get a rental if we wanted her to. She also agreed to go with her father in getting the parts we needed. We trusted her by now and yes we gave her money for the parts which was $400 dollars. I know what your thinking but bear with me here for a few moments. Sometimes you have to trust your inter-being and heart about someone and that is exactly what we did in this case.

I had told my wife earlier that I was not going to let the jeep problems ruin our trip or fun, so the rental was a good idea. The rental cost me $380 for the week with unlimited miles along with insurance on the small car. We were given a ride back to rental place in the morning by Gabriela to get our car with all of our stuff and then off the Cabo for a week.

We took Highway 2 to Highway 19 which put us on the new road to Todo Santos very good four lane road. Made good time and then outside of Todo Santos going to Cabo--- bam more torn up roads for bridges and delays along with muddy dirt side roads, so I told my wife just relax and enjoy the jeep my dear,LOL. We got into Cabo and were trying to find the Pueblo Bonita Sunset Timeshare. Did not get much help and the taxi guy wanted $20 dollars to show us. Now, my wife had an idea since we were also needing to eat something soon as it is a 4 hour drive with the road work going on. She told me to pull over then went in and order a pizza telling them to deliver it Pueblo Bonita Sunset. When the pizza motorcycle youngman got ready to take off she told him to drive where we could follow him to front gate. She told him he would be tipped for his trouble also. We got the main gate, she got out and paid him with tip for the pizza cost total of $10 and on up to the Sunset resort for our week. The guys at the gate were laughing telling my wife that it was a smart move by her to find the place like that. Smart she is and knowing I love pizza she also took care of what we were going to eat for a late lunch. What a great resort this place was and great staff also. We really enjoyed our week here and drove into downtown also without any problems once we got the lay of the land so to speak.LOL

We kept in touch with Gabriela over the internet and her father kept on the mechanic to get our jeep completed during the week we were gone. Now, our week completed we headed back to La Paz and hoping our jeep would be put back together.

We got into town checked on our jeep and the mechanic said he needed another day. We went on to the car rental place and had them take us back to the Marina Hotel. Gabriela was working,she checked us in and said she would take us back over to check on our jeep the next day when she got off work at 4:30pm which she did. The mechanic needed one more day and she agreed to take us back the next early afternoon.

We got back over to the mechanic the next afternoon and I told my wife before getting there we would not get upset over anything as our trip had really been fun and pleasing to both of despite this jeep problem. Well, the mechanic had someone else there to give us a price that was now 4 times the amount agreed to and he had bought no parts, as we had Gabriela's father buy them all. We went back and forth and he finally got double what he had told us. Now, if it ran I told my wife I was not going to let this ruin what we had waited so many years to do. We bailed our jeep out and it seemed to run ok so we just drove on down the street. I took it to get it washed just up the street and at least it looked great again. Just a note here, I had this engine replaced a few months before to avoid just this kind of thing from happening but with equipment you just never know. So, back to hotel for a few more days and a new return home route was decided on for us to go back home out of Mexico.

We decided to take the Ferry across to Topolobampo and drive on into Los Mochis to see my wife's cousin and then on home to Imperial Valley. The trip back out of Mexico would be about 454 miles going back from Los Mochis by land instead of almost 1,000 miles by land on Baja side. Since I was not real sure about the job done on my jeep, we decided to take the shorter route getting out of Mexico and the toll roads made for better chances to get help if we broke down. So, our trip turned into another experience.

Looking at the Ferry I was concerned when they said you drive your own vehicle on and since I had never been on a Ferrry I was a little nervous doing this. My concern was for not, as it was quick and easy driving it up onto the Ferry and parking it. The inside of the Ferry is really nice and you can also get a room to lie down in which we did. The room, vehicle, two person passage, and two meals came to about $340 for a 6 hour boat ride saving us over 600 miles of additionally driving and motel rooms. Got to leave La Paz Port on Ferry at about 3pm and got into Topolobampo about 9:30pm. Getting off the Ferry coming back to the front of Ferry office to pickup my wife (Note: Only the driver gets to take the vehicle on and off the Ferry no passengers allowed with the driver) made it about 10:30pm and a quick drive of about 12 miles into Los Mochis. Got a room this time at City Express that cost about $68 dollars a night. This is a new motel and beds are ok also. We stayed here a couple of nights visiting and then left at 7am and crossed Nogales into the United States at about 4:45pm that same day we left Los Mochis. No problems on the toll road at all but the town of Navojoa has its entire main street torn out and this is the normal toll road route so the detours were a mess getting through this town. The rest of the way was a no problem to deal with and yes they were replacing a few bridges on this side also. However, since the toll roads are four lanes you still end up on a paved off run most of the time.

We had an adventure worth doing again and we will. Took more days driving down due to knees and back just can't take those long hard drives like I use to when younger, just the way it is. Besides, we were in "NO HURRY." we enjoyed ourselves and enjoyed the experiences we shared along the way. I would recommend the trip to anyone and so many nice caring people in Baja and Mainland like they have always been. Don't let fear or fear of "what ifs" stop you from enjoying those things in life that can be gone in a blink of the eye, as you just never know. Take Care & Travel Safe Nomads--------- "NO HURRY, NO WORRY JUST FUN." I have pictures and will try to post them on this topic soon. bajafun777

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 05:04 PM

......."Sometimes you have to trust your inter-being and heart about someone and that is exactly what we did

That's what it's all about! GREAT write up. Just great. Txs

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:03 PM

So much bad stuff being thrown out there about Baja and even Mainland Mexico it totally hides the really good people and places that are worth seeing and meeting again and again.

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:22 PM

Be careful!! Danger lies ahead! These trips are highly addictive and may result in sudden, unplanned, long-term departures south!!! Dra. Baja Bass and I had a similar trip south on our honeymoon a little over three years ago. Now, she has been working in La Paz, my business is virtually sold, and we are both imprisoned by the drug of Baja!!!!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:26 PM

LOL, Yes It Is True It Is True bajabass and We Really Like La Paz great places to walk to day or night with great places to eat on waterfront. Travel Safe and Take Care bajafun777

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:32 PM

Bajafu777...

Muchas gracis for the superb report...enjoyed every word written by you (good thing spelling doesn't count on this board).

You should cut and paste it into a word processor, spell and grammar check it, then send it to the New York Times along with some photos. This is a piece that may turn the tide for mexico travelers.

p.s. your Jeep repairs were about on par with a US based mechanic. Seems the guy did a fair job because the Jeep got you home OK.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 08:47 PM

Thanks for this report-we are doing our virgin trip down to Cabo in a couple of weeks and are VERY excited! No hurry no worry just fun is my new mantra-
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2010 at 09:27 PM

Udo, yea my fingers get to hitting the keys too fast at times and since I do not have to proof read any longer I don't,LOL. My wife hates it when I do an email and do then do not proof read it before I send it. However, I tell her they will figure it out or just jump over it.LOL
The cost of the repair unfortunately was not on par with what it costs in U.S. but again I did not care at that point, as nothing was going to ruin what we had enjoyed on this trip. Now, my mechanic back here had to go back in and fix the engine mounts due to the tinkering done by the Mexico mechanic but "luck be the lady" they held until we got home. The mechanic here that put the engine in still charged me for fixing what needed to be done down South, so again it is what it is and I don't care. I am retired and I just will not let myself get stressed on things I cannot change. I was very glad the Jeep got me back home and my trip FUN was just too much FUN to let anything ruin it.

Note, Gabriela from La Paz has been invited by my wife and I to stay anytime with us in Imperial Valley when she comes up to Mexicali to visit friends or to our beach rental that we will be in again outside of Rosarito. We told her she could bring a friend if she wanted as she was too helpful not to return the favor. Yes we did take her out to two of the best places in La Paz and we gave her some money for her above and beyond help along with a full tank of gas 20 gallons but still all good for her angel work.

Not once did we feel uneasy or scared on our trip in Baja or on Mainland Mexico. The military was doing their job professionally on both sides and Federal Police were on roadways were doing theirs for everyones safety. I plan to do a trip from Texas all the way down to Cancun and Belize in a year. I will drive it using the ontheroadin.com road maps which I have always used because they are so on the money with where topos are,gas stations are,places to eat, sleep, inspection stations,etc. It only costs $12 dollars to download these great maps, so don't leave home without one. You won't get lost or be fighting with the wife on when you should have turned and did not. Too bad they do not have street maps for doing things in the cities on this same site. Take Care & Travel Safe "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 07:38 AM

That's the life!

Nice trip, Baja Fun!!

BajaFun777 001r.JPG - 28kB

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 09:41 AM

Thanks David, I thinking about making some new T-Shirts but with a mermaid and dolphins on the back. The front over the heart area I plan to put a small outline of baja and dolphins jumping in the air from different directions towards each other in the middle. I found a stone mermaid with dolphins down in La Paz I took pictures of it and I have a buddy that draws and makes T-Shirts, so if I do them I will send you one. I appreciate the updates you post and mappings that have been very helpful to me and some of my buddies that run around Baja. Now, since I saying mermaid it will be a little towards PG14,LOL. Take Care and Travel Safe "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 01:09 PM

Bajafun777-
if you are making a batch we'll take 3!!
ckiefer
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 03:14 PM

A great morning read....thank you!!
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 04:43 PM

It's been starting to get pretty cold where I live so my thoughts of Baja have been greater. Thanks for the excellent read...my wife and I are making the trek for the first time next year for our 25th wedding anniversary. Can't wait.

[Edited on 11-11-2010 by bajafreaks]
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 06:06 PM

Nice trip report! - next trip you might want to enjoy what's between San Diego and Cabo San Lucas - chances are you might never get that far again..
bajafreaks
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days !!!

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by marv sherrill
Nice trip report! - next trip you might want to enjoy what's between San Diego and Cabo San Lucas - chances are you might never get that far again..

?????????????
oxxo
Banned

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 06:41 PM

Now you know what the rest of us have been talking about. We do the border to Cabo drive 2 to 4 times a year for the last 4 years. You are right, nothing but fun with wonderful people who have helped us out a time or two. We will drive NOB for the holidays in a few weeks. Looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip on the maps too.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 06:46 PM

I think marv meant that there are 100's of other places to stop and stay between the northern and southern ends of Baja. :light: We did the trip 2 days each way on our honeymoon. I wish the time had been available for a four week honeymoon, instead of only two.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 07:20 PM

I agree that there are soooooooooooo many places to visit in between san diego and cabo .... each one unique....each one great !!

thanks so much for the map tip - we are going to be traveling down to Belize by car onthe mainland as well

now - you went to topolobambo and didn't take the train to the copper canyon !! I understand you can leave your car at most of the hotels and jump on the train, pick it back up when you return. the copper canyon was one of the trips of a lifetime .... I did a 3 page trip report .... really, one of the most incredibly interesting and different trips I have ever taken in terms of sheer nature at it's best.

Gabriela sure went out of her way. Not too many people would do what she did. Don't you just love Baja :D:D

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 08:06 PM

Great trip report Gary! Sorry to hear about your Jeep problems while on vacation. But, it sounds like you still have a great time.

-Ken

Bajafun777
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2010 at 10:00 PM

I definately plan to go back and this next time I will put in the dates on this site and try to stay at any and all nomads B&B, hotels or eat at their places of business along with taking up any offers to be showed around the towns in which they live.

I will take at least 5 days going down and 6 coming back to enable me to visit with other nomads living down along Baja. Again, I encourage others to travel down and you will enjoy yourselves put the fear aside. Like one lady told me from Belize you will never find out any adventure until you take the first step. She was right just head out and do it, just do not wait as long as I did because I missed too much FUN and Great Places to SEE!! Take Care and Travel Safe "No Hurry No Worry Just FUN" bajafun777

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.