Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Knot question
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:07 PM
Knot question

Whats a good knot to connect a mono top shot to Spectra braid?

Live Indubiously!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:11 PM

Try this one, castaway$

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YsH1gJJRLw&feature=relat...

edit to add diagram albright knot:

Step 1:

Form an open-ended loop in the fly line (or larger diameter monofilament). Pass the backing (or smaller diameter strand) through the loop and take one turn around fly line.

Step 2:

Wind the tag end of the backing around itself and the fly line loop. Take 10-12 winds, keeping them in place with left hand. Pass the backing through the loop so that it comes out on the same side it entered on

Step 3:

Slide the coils of backing together and toward the end of the loop, stopping 1/8″ from end. Take care that backing does not slide off end of fly line before tightening.

Step 4:
Tighten by pulling on the tag end of the backing while holding both strands of fly line in left hand. Pliers or a hemostat can be used on tag end. With left hand still holding both ends of fly line, pull on standing part of backing. Pull tag end of backing again and standing part one more time. Complete tightening by pulling only on standing parts of fly line and backing.

Step 5:

Trim the tag end of fly line and backing.

Note: The thin monofilament should be doubled when attaching thin monofilament tippet to heavy monofilament shock tippet.

Great knot, but my bread and butter knot is still the blood cinch...or palomar. ;)

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 09:45 PM

I usually use a short top shot (15' or so) on top of spectra braid. I'm using bait casters with rods that have fairly small eyes so a small knot without anything sticking out is essential. Sometimes I am casting fairly heavy (4oz or more) lures and any hesitation of the line leaving the rod can have catastrophic results. I've watched more than my share of gear fly off into the distance after a malfunction.

I use an albright, I use 10 wraps either all in one direction or 5 up and 5 back. I haven't decided which is better, the up and back is fatter but the "all in one direction" seems to fail easier. Beware that small spectra will cut your leader in some types of knots...albright included. I have tied this knot a lot of ways and pulled it till it broke and find that 10 wraps seems to be the magic number, less and the knot can slip, more and the braid will cut the leader.

This is what it looks like....sometimes...

If I were tying a knot that wasn't going to be cast through guides ( mono to backing etc.) I would probably tie a bimini twist if I knew how.

These tests were preformed after an appropriate amount of adult beverage was consumed so your results may vary.....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-21-2010 at 11:42 PM

I agree. The albright knot is a keeper.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 05:58 AM

I haven't found the knot I use any where. But it's a loop to loop. The loop knot I use looks like a figure 8 as you tie it. Even the braided lines don't slip. It's extremely easy to tie. I also use only a short top shot, about 8'. I carry a couple of extras with me. I use 30# ProLine with 12# fluorocarbon leader. When I feed the flouro through the braided loop it kinda doubles up the connection. It's a long looking knot but slips through the guides smoothly. I'll try to add some photos later.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:37 AM

30# proline with 12# fluoro? What line combo do you use after you've caught your bait?:lol::lol::lol:....dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
30# proline with 12# fluoro? What line combo do you use after you've caught your bait?:lol::lol::lol:....dt

In the area where Russ fishes that's sufficient. Most of the larger fish have been gill-netted long ago.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:01 AM

Thanks dt:lol: I'm really drooling after the bigger Luna reel now. Just trying to find one used that matches my frugal spending habits. Cypress is right about the nets but once in awhile there are migratory fishes that have escaped and the fight is on.... Like when I fought the big toro for over an hour and lost. I got almost a whole years battle in with that one:biggrin:

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:09 AM

OK, here is a question. I am flying to La Paz Thanksgiving Day. I will only take 2 rods and reels. Plan on surf fishing Tecolote or La Ventana areas. Should I just run straight mono, say 20lb, or a Spectra/ mono/ flouro combo? Plan on throwing Krocs, Kastmasters, swim baits on a 10ft steelhead type rod.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 07:39 AM

I suspect if your using your steelhead rig you're very familiar with it. Use what you're most comfortable with. 10' rod should really give you some distance and a great fight when you hook into that 30# + rooster:wow:
edit:
If you get into sierra you may wish you had some wire leaders too.

[Edited on 11-22-2010 by Russ]

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:17 AM
Loop to Loop Knot

Here's my etempt to photograph the braided to mono knot I use.

You can make the loops smaller but my fingers have a hard time doing that now. Also the frayed end of the braided could be touched with a lighter and it will clean it up. This is only what works for me. I've not seen anyone else use it. With the smallish fish I catch it works fine. No failures even with the toro and they gave it a work out. This loop knot does not work as a dropper knot. (where you use it where ends are pulled it will break easily).

GC
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 08:23 AM

Uni to Uni works well and it is easy to tie.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:18 AM

Here's a cool uni knot tutorial: http://www.proknot.com/html/uni_knot.html
I've heard reports that the braided lines will cut the mono using the uni knot. ??
That's why I tried the loop to loop it doubles up the mono to braided. I suppose you could do the same thing with the uni and then tighten it down. Much more compact knot. I'll try it.

Uni Knot~1.jpg - 46kB

Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 09:27 AM

http://satocrimpandwinder.com/procrimpkit.htm

This is the cleanest connection I have found.

In Memory of E-57
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 12:09 PM

There were three pieces of rope wandering in the desert. They were very hot and thirsty. They came upon a bar and one went in. He asked for a drink and the bartender said, 'read the sign buddy we don't serve ropes.'

'Oh come on just this once', the rope asked again. The bartender said 'nope', so the rope left. The second rope figured he was a bit better looking and maybe the bartender would soften a little and let him have a drink. He went in and asked for a drink, the bartender shook his head and said 'Hey Buddy, it's just like I told your friend we don't serve ropes here.' Dejected the rope left the bar.

The 3rd rope heard both of their stories, thought for a moment. Then he rolled himself into a knot and fluffed the edges so it was a little frayed. The third rope went into the bar like this and asked for a drink.

The bartender asked, 'Hey are you a rope?' The 3rd rope looked down at himself and said 'Nope, I am a frayed knot!

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 01:55 PM

Pompano, You are soooo full it it! :rolleyes:

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 01:59 PM

Russ...I know, it's just the way it is.

I place all the blame on my uncle Herb. He would always lecture me as a tadpole..."Scout, life is much too serious to be taken seriously."

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 02:32 PM

Any knot that is tied in Spectra will be weaker than the spectra strength stated on the line. I quit using knots and have gone to hollow spectra and put the monofilament in the inside "chinese finger trap style" and have more than 100% of the stated strength of the line. For my old spectra that was not hollow, I bought a small section of hollow spectra and connected that to the old spectra and then proceeded just like I had a full spool of hollow spectra.
After having tested this connection over a period of two years or more I would never go back to tied spectra.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 02:40 PM

interesting stuff, pescador, about the hollow spectra; first i've ever heard of this trick....does the hollow stuff state it on the package?...how far do you run the lines inside of it?...cool!..thanks.

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-22-2010 at 03:09 PM

And while you're answering the hollow spectra questions could you post some photos of your new boat?

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.