Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Ripped off! Be Warned
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 11:50 AM
Ripped off! Be Warned

Oh Damn! Made the trip up yesterday, Sat. 11/27/10. Other than missing the San Diego turn off in TJ and the 2hr wait after I found a way to the SD line the trip went smoothly. However this morning when I was going to load my wallet with dollars I discovered I'd been robbed. It had to be the military stop north of El Rasario because they were the only ones that actually went through my stuff. I was suspicious at the time but hadn't had any trouble for years so didn't check. The soldiers went in both front doors and blocked my view while I was talking to the third one. Classic move and I should have gone with my gut and checked right then. They got over $1000 in peso and dollars. I plan to talk to/inform the post commander on my return but that won't be for at least 2 weeks. If any of you know or talk to the head honcho there maybe you could mention this. I think the way the soldiers pulled this off they have done it before.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Oh Damn! Made the trip up yesterday, Sat. 11/27/10. Other than missing the San Diego turn off in TJ and the 2hr wait after I found a way to the SD line the trip went smoothly. However this morning when I was going to load my wallet with dollars I discovered I'd been robbed. It had to be the military stop north of El Rasario because they were the only ones that actually went through my stuff. I was suspicious at the time but hadn't had any trouble for years so didn't check. The soldiers went in both front doors and blocked my view while I was talking to the third one. Classic move and I should have gone with my gut and checked right then. They got over $1000 in peso and dollars. I plan to talk to/inform the post commander on my return but that won't be for at least 2 weeks. If any of you know or talk to the head honcho there maybe you could mention this. I think the way the soldiers pulled this off they have done it before.

What, you left your wallet in the car in Mexico? Maybe the soldiers put in under the seat for safe keeping :lol:

Bob Durrell
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 11:59 AM

Sorry for your loss, Russ. Takes all the fun out of it.

"Lead them not into temptation"............Amen
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 11:59 AM

Russ, contact Antonio (BajaCactus) as he knows the comandante and how to proceed. Have the date and time of the search to give him... info@bajacactus.com

They do not want any thieves in their troop...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Russ will have to be absolutly, possitively, incontrovertibly sure of what happened or his complaint will go nowhere. The military won't convict one, or more, of their own on a hunch. Sad, but reasonable.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:06 PM

that sucks if accurate as to the when/where. where did you last use/see it before the military checkpoint?

not disputing your theory. i would think that would be a great setup to temp them. as soon as you get in your rig you look for your wallet. when it is not there, you jump out screaming and pointing at the turds who were in your rig. one of the two would have your wallet and be in SERIOUS trouble! for that reason i think it would be a great deterrent to them. but it only takes one smart-asss to prove my theory wrong!

hopefully, it turns up....

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:15 PM

It would make me want to take an empty wallet, stuff it with fresh dog crap and leave it in the center console
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:24 PM

As a general rule, I keep my wallet, camera and GPS on me when I get out of the car and watch them do the search. Since they are looking for drugs, guns, ammo... they have no need to see your wallet or camera left in the car. Remove temptation...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:29 PM
Tough break, Russ...

..it happens now and then.

Best to not leave any temptations around like jewelry & money. Too easy to pilfer.

A hint for motorhomers or RVers. Never let more than one checker in at a time..and always accompany them, engaging them in conversation while keeping your eye on thier normal check.

I haven't lost anything important yet..'knock on wood'... in what is now round trip #146.

I have given away plenty of batteries, sodas, and treats. :rolleyes:

Sorry for your loss...1000 P stings. Just this last Friday afternoon, one of the army checkers wanted to keep my .44 mag dead round I have on my key ring, but he didn't get it. I distracted him by showing him my supply of cold Cokes and frozen Milky Ways. ;)

[Edited on 11-29-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:30 PM
Russ

Really sorry that happened. And I would report it for whatever good it might do and I certainly would not listen to the

"Blame the Victim" people. Yes, from our experiences we have had "things" happen when we have become more comfortable in a situation, but it still is wrong, just plain wrong and NOT your fault.

Oh, but next time, do be sure to tell them what they need to check out and what they have no need to see. That should help. :lol:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:38 PM

Thanks Diana. I had all my important papers in a binder with the cash and it was in the open. Thank God they didn't take my passport & FM-2. I do normally keep an eye on it or take it out with me.

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 12:43 PM
Bugout Bag

I keep all of my important stuff and camera in a small backpack or "bugout bag". Everytime I get out of the car, the bag goes with me.

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
I keep all of my important stuff and camera in a small backpack or "bugout bag". Everytime I get out of the car, the bag goes with me.

My exact MO as well...

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
"Blame the Victim" people.

I don't see the replies as a "Blame the Victim" thing as much as a matter of nebulous evidence. I'm sure it happened just as Russ describes mainly because Russ has credibility here, but he will have a difficult time proving it to a stranger.
People can and do get themselves in trouble down here for this very reason. What begins as an honest report turns into defamation and slander. That's one of the reasons so many crimes go unreported.
In this case, Russ would need nothing short of a damning video of the crime to convince someone on the other side. Words alone could easily backfire.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Russ, contact Antonio (BajaCactus) as he knows the comandante and how to proceed. Have the date and time of the search to give him... info@bajacactus.com

Great info, David! :light:

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
It would make me want to take an empty wallet, stuff it with fresh dog crap and leave it in the center console

You drive with the windows open??:lol::lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
You drive with the windows open??:lol::lol:

Well...yeah. Doesn't everybody? How else are you going to sling an empty beer can to the side of the road? :lol:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
"Blame the Victim" people.

I don't see the replies as a "Blame the Victim" thing as much as a matter of nebulous evidence. I'm sure it happened just as Russ describes mainly because Russ has credibility here, but he will have a difficult time proving it to a stranger.
People can and do get themselves in trouble down here for this very reason. What begins as an honest report turns into defamation and slander. That's one of the reasons so many crimes go unreported.
In this case, Russ would need nothing short of a damning video of the crime to convince someone on the other side. Words alone could easily backfire.

Dennis, I agree with you---and I retract the thought about reporting it in any specific way for all the reasons you state--

But that is not what I was referring to about blaming the victim. I was referring to the idea that many often have that it really was his fault for not doing things "properly". That is always so easy to do and I am sure Russ has done a very good job of kicking himself without help.

Stealing is wrong and it really is not Russ's fault that someone is a thief. Yes, it was when we let our guard down that we had our truck stolen in Guatemala, and yes we did a GREAT job of kicking ourselves, but it still was not our fault someone else chose to be a thief.

[Edited on 11-28-2010 by DianaT]
lizard lips
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 02:12 PM

As much as I travel I have ever been ripped off. Why? Because I don't allow the chance of this happening--ever. Driving a car into Guatemala and having it stolen is another issue.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-28-2010 at 02:15 PM

I see what you mean, Diane. Unfortunatly [and I'm not refering to Russ whatsoever] thievery requires much more than an absence of morals. That has to be combined with opportunity. We can't do much about the "morals" of others, but we can take part in denying opportunity.
Anyway...I wish this hadn't happened to Russ. I know he agrees.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.