Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Fantastic Yellowtail Bite - Mulege
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 06:56 AM
Fantastic Yellowtail Bite - Mulege

FANTASTIC YELLOWTAIL BITE – MULEGE – LIKE THE OLD DAYS!

Yes, it’s true. The yellowtail bite has been okay to good for over a year now, if you worked at it....but it’s nothing short of phenomenal right now.

Where to go? What gear?

We've always been blessed with reasonably good yellowtail fishing near Mulege, but sometimes they were harder to locate.. and harder to entice the bite! This has not been the case lately in our entire area-- from Sta. Rosalia to Pulpito, which is way, way south.

Like I said, we've always had great ‘fishing’ around here, but this season it has been great ‘catching’.

Lots of big yellowtail are being taken right now in the area around Mulege. It seems that all one has to do is get the heck out there and drop anything in the box down and you’re hooked up.

But I’d recommend that heavy yo-yo rather than your Mad Mouse. :rolleyes:

One can fish any of the following areas for GOOD action on yellows:

San Marcos area offshore Sta Rosalia (launching available at San Bruno, San Lucas, Sta. Rosalia)…lots of places to fish near here. Seal Rock...Jorge’s Reef…the 110…the 210..,..Deep Slope…the Ranch… deep cuts at Tortuga Island, etc., etc.

Just look for the boats. Make bait at Haystack or find your own…. lots available.

Or just live-lining with bait. I would use the heavier lines...from 20lb to 50/60...depending on your methods and capabilities.

Any of the 4oz and up jigging lures are producing well. Trolling mirrolures tied direct is always a good option. Think Pink!

Or...just use what you normally use... rocket science it ain't. Keep it simple and fun.

Head south to Sta. Inez area and catch more…

..then south a bit to Wilbur’s Hole offshore Mulege and nearer Pt. Conception for some fantastic action in the last few weeks….WHENEVER THE ALMOST GALEFORCE WINDS QUIT!

For these windy days and strong deep currents, I went to Squid-Co in San Diego and bought about 30 lbs. of 6 and 8 oz. egg-sinkers. If any area fishermen need a few, let me know. :yes:

The rest of what I purchased will be delivered by a semi-truck. :rolleyes:

Wilburs the other day: It seemed that all fishermen were hooked up immediately after arriving upon the scene.

Some were even brought to gaff. :rolleyes::saint:

Big Tail! A nice 47 pounder (yellowtail) was taken by my neighbor at my favorite pinto hole . That ‘secret spot’ is just offshore of the mind at Pt. Conception. It’s what I like about that place on a flat sunny day…the surprises that you catch while looking for a great pinto dinner. Look for my old co-ords posted on Nomads for the exact location of my secret hole. I forewarn you: I am serious about not keeping any fishing tips or locations secret.

Pargo were doing great just outside of Mulege estuary. Lots of bigeyes, mackerel, and small cudas for bait at Pta. Prieta around the corner from Mulege lighthouse. Bring your bait rigs and a headlamp. Think Sabiki!

But if you do not use bait..or cannot keep it alive..no sweato, amigos. It seems that all one has to do is appear on the fishing scene and drop anything in your box down for a solid hookup. ..

…although I recommend that heavy yo-yo rather than your Mad Mouse..:rolleyes:

A nice dorado was just caught ..in the south end of Conception Bay of all places! Dorado…the Bay…in December…go figure :?:

Roosterfish have produced good action offshore the Mine at Pt. Conception, while cabrilla are good further south along the shoreline to Pta. Teresa.

Of course, those fantastic pintos are just plain fat and sassy on all their rockpiles offshore Pt. Conception. I will be having some tasty fillets tonight, as a matter of fact….so if you're in the area stop by for a great fish dinner and a cold one.

In conclusion, I can say that I have not seen such good ‘catching’ for many years.

Unfortunately, the $#@&! commercial seiners appeared on the scene, also. There were 8 of them the other day strung from Mulege to Pt. Conception....grrrr

..blah..enough of them..doc says I gotta watch the blood pressure...

All in all, it’s been a great year so far. What are you waiting for?! Tight Lines!!

[Edited on 12-12-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
castaway$
Senior Nomad

Mood: Fish on!

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 11:44 AM

Save me a some Pez I'll be there in about 10 days.

Live Indubiously!
Joelt
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 02:18 PM

Thanks for the report. Wish I could see it for myself. Chase those seiners away.

Joelt
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 03:13 PM

This is an excellent report. Wish I was there! Txs Pompano

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 08:26 AM

Don't tell Cypress:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 08:46 AM

Cypress has heard that story before.;)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 01:13 PM

Cypress...I don't what else to tell you. I am but the messenger.

When it comes to fishing reports, I don't tell stories.

Everybody is catching fish. No reason you could not....that I know of anyway.
:saint: ;)

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 12-7-2010 at 01:29 PM

Pompano, Apologies!!! No way would I accuse you of not telling the truth. I'm heading for my fishing grounds next week. Hope the bite continues on your fishing grounds.:yes:
yellowklr
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 12-11-2010 at 08:42 PM

sounds great..........Keep it around till the 31st please.

Question what time of year are the Snook sometime got in your area?

Derek
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
sounds great..........Keep it around till the 31st please.

Question what time of year are the Snook sometime got in your area?

mulegemichael just told me the other day that he caught a nice one in the Mulege rio. And NO..it was not a brown trout. ;)
'
' Years ago, we would catch them in the Bay (especially around the shoreline mangeles at Posada, Cocos Bch, and Santa Barbara Cove. I recall the best bite was always more toward late March-early April.

Catching robalo-snook in the Bay today would raise some eyebrows. :rolleyes:

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 05:15 AM

YOU are up all night............
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-12-2010 at 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
YOU are up all night............

Yes, I am, Bob...I wish it were not the case, but a recent tooth extraction is bothering me. So, rather than toss in bed..here I am with my coffee and keyboard..and bored! ;)

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.