Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Good Pick??
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:03 AM
Good Pick??

Ok Sea Of Cortez vets, what do you think of this boat for use in La Paz? http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/boa/2099329582.html Pretty good deal if the motor is good!

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:14 AM

No pics????:O:O Talk about buying a "Pig in a poke"! :rolleyes:
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:29 AM

http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/members-boats-sale/294044-... Try this link.

BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:39 AM

Here's the specs, with only a 6'5" beam, seems pretty narrow and not a lot of freeboard.

http://www.triumphboats.com/index.cfm?page=ModelSpecificatio...

Compare to a Parker 18(just using the Parker as an example)

http://www.parkerboats.net/pages/boat_lineup/boat_detail.jsp...

You can see 1' make a big difference in room and freeboard. Just depends what you want to do, how many will be fishing with you, and what kind of fish you're gonna chase.

Just some food for thought
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:57 AM

Like the feedback! The Parker is a bigger boat for sure. This looks like a good boat for two, three max. Looks like it will cut chop pretty well. Looks much easier to launch than the Parker. I am looking at mainly in/near shore, offshore on good days. Should use a fraction of the gas of a larger 18-19 center console with a 90-115hp motor. I'm waiting for a reply from a couple e-mails now. At least have to go look at it. Oh, that Parker on BD for 7,500 is now 21k per the new listing on BD! Way out of my budget.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 08:58 AM

This boat is not good for fishing the Sea of Cortez! It would be alright for the Bay at La paz.

Keep in mind the Sea of Cortez is a 22 Foot Sea. Make sure you know how and Why it was determined as a 22 Foot Sea then decide the Boat you need to be the safest!!

Skeet/Loreto
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 09:25 AM

What a beauty....I'll take two.

bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 09:43 AM

Hey Skeet! I am here to learn. Educate me please! Are you saying swell and wind patterns dictate optimum vessel length? I do see most pangas are 19-20ft and up.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 10:14 AM

Bass:
In 1967 when I fish started Fishing most of the Fishemand had the old heavy Wooden "Dugout" type boats for Fishong. Across on the Eastern side of the Sea they were making a long and narrow Panga Type as the water and tides hit the shallow Shores different.

I talked with mac Shroyer at leanth and he related that the mexican Govt. contacted him to start building Pangas for the fisherman of Baja, They wanted a boat which fit the Waters of the Sea of Cortez which they had determined was a 22 Foot Sea meaning that a study of the Average Wind, Waves, and Tides showed that a 22 Ft Panga Was Ideal. It had to safely carry 2,000 Lbs of Meat through the pacific Surf as Well.

There were some 20 Foot Pacinos built but mostly 22 Footer.

There were times on the Sea that I wondered if I was going to make it. Thanks to the Panga I made it!
Go down to the Maina at Loreto and check out the Number o f Pangas to see which is used more.. Those Mexicano Fisherman have been on that water a long time. I happen to trust their Judgement, not some Book-Learned Kook in the States that is just trying to make money off a "Pretty Boat".

Enough Said.

Skeet
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 03:03 PM

Well, I have fished pangas and have fished a 16.5 boat all over the sea of cortez and according to Derek, who has a lot of experience with that boat, it is a good performer. Of course it does not handle the same stuff that a 22 foot panga handles, but that is not the issue here. It has a good motor that was actually built by Yamaha and with good oil changes it should last you a long time. For where you are going to be using it, it should be a great boat for Cerralvo and Muertos. You do not want to be out in 5 foot swells, but most pangas do not do that either. It is a good boat for two, but anymore than that and you will be seriously overloaded. It is easy to launch and retrieve on the trailer, and while most pangas are easy enough to launch and retrieve, this should be a good boat for the money.
I just took out my new 21.5 today and I have to tell you that this is an amazing hull. It has a certain amount of flex which really makes a difference and the high degree of deadrise really flattens out the chop.
So, all in all, I think it would make a great boat and you can learn all the waters and stuff while you are in La Paz and then upgrade when you want as most people get bigger boats instead of smaller.

Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 04:29 PM

I agree Pescador. But keep in mind what he has said and stay out of the center of the Sea of Cortez and watch your weather.
Coming back aroud the Point North of La paz can get a little hairy sometimes, "Don"t stay out too Late"!!!

Good Luck
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-8-2010 at 09:24 PM

Skeet and Pescador, thanks, both of you. If I can be safe from Muertos to the south end of Cerralvo, and hit Espiritu Santo from the bay, on nice days, fish Concepcion, Mag Bay, San Bruno, when I want a change of pace, I'll be pleased. I've been fishing the Ensenada area from a 16ft whaler clone, sans floatation, for over 10 years, and am still above water. I have a deep respect for big water, grew up canoeing and sailing small boats on the Great Lakes. I'll see the boat tomorrow night, and post the results.

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 08:35 PM

http://motorcycles.voobay.com/usedmotorcycles/2001-15ft-triu...

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2010 at 10:16 PM

Well, I went down to Vista to go look at the boat. Very clean, kept under cover. The 60hp Mercury 4-stroke looks and runs like new! Pumps water well in a big tub, not on the earmuffs. In and out of both gears smooth. The snap-in cushions were stored in the garage, still clean and not brittle. So, I gave the nice man his money and towed it home. Oh, tows great and the Tundra hardly feels it at all!!:biggrin: Anybody know a good Mercury mechanic in La Paz?? The hours should start adding up pretty soon!:lol:

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:15 AM

Congrats with your purchase Bass, and wish you many great fishing and exploring days.
Tight lines and a good camera.:biggrin:

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
bill erhardt
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
So, all in all, I think it would make a great boat and you can learn al
I just took out my new 21.5 today and I have to tell you that this is an amazing hull. It has a certain amount of flex which really makes a difference and the high degree of deadrise really flattens out the chop.

Jim.... What is your new 21 footer?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:26 AM

Clear blue cloudless skies here today, with nary a hint of a breeze....so why are you & that boat still NOB?? Can't catch anything but a cold up there!:rolleyes: :lol::lol:
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 09:27 AM

This is a nice little boat, depending on what you expect.
Will it ride nicer than a 18' tin boat - you betcha.
BUT, when it gets rough, this boat will be wet and not so comfortable.
Just watch the wind forecast and you should be just fine.
Congratulations !!

Remember the 2 best days in the life of a boat owner;
the day you buy it and the day you sell it !! :lol:
bajabass
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 12:29 PM

Thanks guys! Just dropped it a Maurer Marine in Costa Mesa. 200 hour service before I go. Lower and upper oil, new impellar, plugs, fuel filter, water separator filter, check hours and codes. Tires looked new, but 8 years old by the date code, so 2 new Goodyear Marathon trailer tires. Tracking down a spare wheel right now. Never noticed there was not a spare. Diver, been there, done that a few times! Patch, soory I have not contacted you yet, I've been just a little busy! See you in La Paz, we can fish!! OK, headed to West Marine to check out GPS/chartplotter combos now, good day all! :bounce:

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-10-2010 at 01:34 PM

Bass

Your boat will be fine down here, but a good rule here is to go north in the morning south in the afternoon its is just not good to head south in the morning and come back in the rough stuff in the afternoon no matter what boat.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.