Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: A little Baja news
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:29 AM
A little Baja news

Just got back late last night from San Quintin. The border wait was exactly 3 hours and 13 minutes. This trip was strictly business and I stayed in town this time. I did go out to San Quintin Bay to say hello to my friends and they gave me 10 dozen oysters and 6 dozen clams. Back in town we had oysters in the half-shell and clam c-cktail. Some clams I chopped into 1/2 inch pieces, mixed them with chopped onion, cilantro, and tomato and placed them back in the shell. I topped that with mayo, butter, and pepper. I closed the clams and wrapped them with foil and placed them on the grill. Delicious.

One thing that caught my attention while in a meeting with an investor down there is that he mentioned that there are some people buying up thousands of hectarias all over Baja Norte. Some of these people are Martha Sahagun (Mrs. Vicente Fox), Carlos Slim (richest man in the world), and The Prez himself, Felipe Calderon. The land that these people are buying make former Governor Ruffo's land purchases pale in comparison. I don't know what is in the works but maybe it's something good for Baja. What say you?

Also, I found out that all that road construction going on will continue until Colonet.

Another thing, I stopped to fuel at a Pemex 28 miles north of San Quintin. I asked the attendant to put $60.00 worth of fuel in. He proceeded to put the nozzle in my car and he appeared to start the pump. He then cleaned my windows and then he went to chat with a friend. I was watching all this from my side mirror. I turned my key forward to see how much my gas gauge was moving and it was just sitting there with no upward movement. I got out and went to the pump and it was off and the meters all read zero. The guy saw me and came over running and started the pump. I asked him "que chingados es esto?", He didn't say anything and finished pumping. He was hoping that I wouldn't notice and he would have $60.00 in his pocket.

One more thing, the food at the restaurant/bar next to Hotel Chavez in San Quintin is disgusting. It was a favorite of mine but I noticed that the last few times the food appears to be old and the prices are thru the roof. One of the days I also ate at Santa Isabel and although it has never been a favorite, I was very pleased with the food and service.

[Edited on 12-21-2010 by sanquintinsince73]

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Just got back late last night from San Quintin. The border wait was exactly 3 hours and 13 minutes.

3 hours late at night? Damn!

Brian
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:35 AM
Mrs. Vicente Fox

Strong word of mouths...
They bought up chunks of land in the Gonzaga Bay area 3-4 years ago.

I heard this many times by many folks.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
Quote:
Just got back late last night from San Quintin. The border wait was exactly 3 hours and 13 minutes.

3 hours late at night? Damn!

Had my sister and my 7-year old with me. Had to buy just about everything from every vendor just to keep my daughter happy. For a little one, 3 hours is a looooonnnggg time.

sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Strong word of mouths...
They bought up chunks of land in the Gonzaga Bay area 3-4 years ago.

I heard this many times by many folks.

Deno,This guy that I was meeting with owns 144 thousand hectarias in your neck of the woods (San Felos).

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:40 AM

That must have been rough. Must have taken a lot of churros to keep her happy!

Brian
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by blane
That must have been rough. Must have taken a lot of churros to keep her happy!

Churros? We still have 3 bags sittin' on the dinning room table.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 12:04 PM

Thanks for the future wider road report... Getting it done to Colonet will mean that all the hilly country will be widened... Hope for those bicycle riders! Colonet to near El Rosario is across flatlands... Although four lanes wide from Camalu to San Quintin would sure be welcome relief passing all the farm vehicles and busses.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
One thing that caught my attention while in a meeting with an investor down there is that he mentioned that there are some people buying up thousands of hectarias all over Baja Norte. Some of these people are Martha Sahagun (Mrs. Vicente Fox), Carlos Slim (richest man in the world), and The Prez himself, Felipe Calderon. The land that these people are buying make former Governor Ruffo's land purchases pale in comparison. I don't know what is in the works but maybe it's something good for Baja. What say you?

Also, I found out that all that road construction going on will continue until Colonet.

Perhaps it's for the future. If they build the port at Colonet they'll preceed with a train route toward Yuma. It was mentioned here some time ago about Fox's wife buying property near Gonzaga Bay maybe for investment for when the hwy is completed.
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 02:00 PM

3 hrs at the border i guess we should be glad tourism is down or the wait would be ????
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge
3 hrs at the border i guess we should be glad tourism is down or the wait would be ????

I'm sure they're working on the problems because....well, you know....they really care. :no:
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 02:17 PM

It is tradition for the outgoing Mex Pres to
sweeten up his retirement yrs. Back in the day,
I believe it was Pres Echeverria or maybe Pres
Madrid, who bought
up land at the Cape, before the Cabo boom
started
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
It is tradition for the outgoing Mex Pres to
sweeten up his retirement yrs. Back in the day,
I believe it was Pres Echeverria or maybe Pres
Madrid, who bought
up land at the Cape, before the Cabo boom
started

Just like former Governor Ruffo of Baja Norte. He new of the upcoming container terminal in Colonet and he bought thousands of acres for pennies on the dollar. Now he stands to make millions upon millions.

tiotomasbcs
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 04:37 PM

What say you?! This will lead to the overdevelopment of Baja California and the country ways that we love and have known. Los Pinos and others have already pushed the area to the limit on the backs of Oaxacan laborers! Water supply overtaxed and polluted with pesticides. Crime and drugs?! Meeting with investors suggests you are investing also, verdad? I used to surf & camp the whole area ....since 65'.... take your best shot Smiles Tomas in BCS Paz
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 04:49 PM

My kids LOVE the wait in line trying to get out of Baja :o

They say the best part of our trips is dealing with the street vendors. They buy all sorts of JUNK and always throws pesos to that guy without legs at the Mexicali exit.

I hate those waits. Taking a laptop next time to watch movies.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 06:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Deno,This guy that I was meeting with owns 144 thousand hectarias in your neck of the woods (San Felos).

Nobody owns that much land in San Felipe. Not even close.
dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 07:09 PM

"Just like former Governor Ruffo of Baja Norte. He new of the upcoming container terminal in Colonet and he bought thousands of acres for pennies on the dollar. Now he stands to make millions upon millions".

Sounds like smart investing to me. The Colonet project could very easily be a bust and he would be stuck with a bunch of basically worthless land. Why is it that some people feel so compelled to vilify those who take chances to get ahead in life?........dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 12-21-2010 at 07:37 PM

"throws pesos to that guy without legs at the Mexicali exit."

not that i throw money at anyone, except the Pacifico guy, but the only folks we give money to while in the border madness are folks with 0-1 arm/leg and/or the guy picking up trash in the lanes.

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.