Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: "Collateral" Damage from Another Baja 1000
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 08:53 AM
"Collateral" Damage from Another Baja 1000

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/dec/27/a-life-saved-...

I keep asking myself every year after I see stories like this...when are the Mexicans going to toss the Baja 1000 out ? Probably when enough Mexicans get killed or maimed...I don't know. There is virtually no economic benefit to the Mexicans, they don't really participate much in the race. All those supposed "spectators" you see in Ensenada at the start of the race in photographs posted on this board?...ask yourself how many of those "spectators" are unemployed ? 50%...70%...more like 80% or more. That's why they are there...they have nothing to do. Then you have these "prerunners" who aren't really in the race but use it as an excuse to tear up the back country. There are a lot of unhappy ranchers in Baja because of this.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:00 AM

Do you know who won the 1000 this year over all?
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:08 AM

Great job Marines!

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often.

I hope Mike Jenkins and Jenkins Brothers Racing steps up BIG TIME.

I wonder what SCORE's response is.

No worries
Curt63
Super Nomad

Mood: Fish tacos and Tecate

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:13 AM

More info

Mike Jenkins

No worries
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:20 AM

SEMPER FI

BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
SEMPER FI

It does sound like the Marines stepped up and did a great job. I can't quite say the same about Mike Jenkins after reading the links here in this thread...

:no:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:25 AM

The Score offical pre-run speed is 25mph or the posted speed limit and they are warned that the course is open to local traffic except on race day. A lot of people will exceed it but usually on straight aways and/or in isolated areas. To do what Jenkins did is criminal in my opinion. The off road racing community don't need this to be happening and people that do it are idiots.

[Edited on 12-28-2010 by TW]
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Do you know who won the 1000 this year over all?

As in - Gustavo Vildosola - Trophy Truck ?

He's from Mexicali correct ? So who is funding him ? and is his truck being built in Mexicali with American expertise and help? Doesn't he own a business in La Jolla ?

Does it help the Gringos to "let" a Mexican national win the Baja 1000 now and then? Especially now the 1st time in 43 years a Mexican national has "won" ?
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 10:35 AM

Yes he is from Mexicali.

His sponsors are Mexicana Logistics, Red Bull, BFG, Mastercraft, MSD, Papas Y Beer, California Metals, Fox, and Eibach.

He purchased the truck 9 years ago. Probably built in AZ by one of the TT builders.

I don't know what he owns, probably companies in both the US and Mexico. He must have money or connections because to run and maintain a TT cost a lot. He has done well in racing too. He came in second at the 2007 1000 to Cabo. No body lets anybody win a Baja race you do it with your team. Ask Robby Gordon if he would let someone else win.

Most Mexicans race in the smaller car and truck classes and on motorcycles and ATVs and they have won in many of those classes over the years. The late Mike Leon owner of Mike's Sky Rancho won many times as have his nephews the Tisnados (sp). This years 1000 had Pancho Bio class 1600, juan Flores class 1, Danilo Cesena class 1600, Alejandro Lozano class 1600, Sergio Moreno class 5, Alonso Angulo class 5, The Arambula brothers class 5 but have also raced in several truck classes over the years, 803 Juan Lopez, Ivan Ramirez on 7X the KTM factory backed team, 103X was an all Mexican team, as was 149X, 150X was a Calexico/ Mexicali team, 301X a mixed team, as was 306X, 2A, 106A 107A,. 1405 and many more. The Sportsman bike classes had several Mexicans some teamed with Americans. Class 11 had 4 entries two were Mexican including the many time champion Eric Solorzano.

Frankly from your original statement I don't think you know much about the racing and it's affect on the economy. Why don't you ask the local business what affect it has. Better yet go to San Felipe and ask them what happened when the 250 race was moved from there to Ensenada a couple of years ago. I agree some ranchers don't like it but the ones where it crosses their land sure seem to like the money it brings.

To state that more like 80% of the crowd is unemployed is taking it a bit far. Granted the kids may not be employed and many of the moms may not be employed outside the home.

I should add that the ranchers probably don't like the pre-running most of all and they don't mind race day, it's just one day.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 10:40 AM

what a moving story .... go Marines.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 10:47 AM

Baja 1000 is a very important race to the people of Baja California Sur who enjoy the spirit of the race and the idea of challenging the Baja and winning! In la Paz nearly every mechanic has some relationship or affiliation to a race team of sorts. While the local participation may actually be low, the passion is within almost everyone. The race cars are everywhere off and on the road and that's part of life here. So, no, it's not going away.

As to the question of money and funding, it's complicated certainly, we may never understand where the money comes and goes to, like any race series.

The injuries and deaths that occur are tragedies but that's an aspect of the race. If you do not want to be at risk stay away and inside is the best policy.

[Edited on 12-28-2010 by gnukid]
sanquintinsince73
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by gnukid
Baja 1000 is a very important race to the people of Baja California Sur who enjoy the spirit of the race and the idea of challenging the Baja and winning! In la Paz nearly every mechanic has some relationship or affiliation to a race team of sorts. While the local participation may actually be low, the passion is within almost everyone. The race cars are everywhere off and on the road and that's part of life here. So, no, it's not going away.

As to the question of money and funding, it's complicated certainly, we may never understand where the money comes and goes to, like any race series.

The injuries and deaths that occur are tragedies but that's an aspect of the race. If you do not want to be at risk stay away and inside is the best policy.

Damn......I agree with you.

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:15 AM

Quote:

You know GnuKid...where do you get your information? If the Baja 1000 is soooo important to Baja Sur then how do you explain this (this is a quote from SCORE's website specifically from the Irvine SCORE Awards Banquet published Dec. 11, 2010):

"In front of a festive crowd of nearly 400, the evening was also a celebration of 37 years of SCORE championship desert racing. SCORE President/CEO Sal Fish also announced that the 2011 Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 will be an adventure around the northern part of Mexico’s Baja California peninsula and a new agreement with the government of Ensenada to host SCORE Baja races for several more years. Fish also confirmed that there will be a SCORE race next September 9-10 and will announce details by the end of the month, completing the five-race 2011 SCORE Desert Series schedule."

Did you get that Gnukid ? "Sal Fish also announced that the 2011 Tecate SCORE Baja 1000 will be an adventure around the northern part of Mexico’s Baja California peninsula." What happened to Baja Sur, the mechanics, the race cars being everywhere? Looks like they got "stiffed" in 2011. So much for your "observations".
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:16 AM

Gunkid you are absolutely right, it is the passion that drives most if not all in racing. Nobody will get rich racing off road. You need sponsors and/or deep pockets of your own or family and friends to even race a motorcycle.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:18 AM

Quote:

Even though that Marine says he is no angel, I doubt he will ever convince that family of that! He happened to be in the right place at the right time and jumped in to put his training to work without hesitation----he will always be their hero. :yes:

On race day, I agree that everyone not involved is better off just to hide away. However, this was not during the race and the pre-race rules were not being followed ---a very different story, I believe.

Good thing the hero Marine was following the rules----

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:23 AM

ElFaro SCORE only runs the full length to La Paz or Cabo every 2 or 3 years. The reason is the cost for the racers is much more expensive to go the distance. Pits, chasers, spare parts etc. A Baja 1000 in loop form is little more than a Baja 500 race, an extra 150 miles maybe over much of the same course. It's much easier and cost much less. You really need to do a little history study on Baja racing. The SCORE race Sal was talking about is in place of the Primm race in NV not Baja. The Ensenada part is for the start of the race. Ensenada doesn't want Mexicali to get it like they did in 93 and 94.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:29 AM

Personally I am not really that into off-road racing but a lot of my friends here in the San Quintin area are very big fans. Many of them participate in the dozens of off-road events each year throughout the peninsula and even take time off work to follow the big events all the way down to the finish line.

Some actually drive in the races (one finished 2nd in his class in the recent 1000), others work in the pits and most just seem to enjoy watching the sport.

They are all Mexicans and employed, which tend to provide an argument against a portion of the OP's original point.

Edited to add the fact that the Castañeda and Vindiola families here in San Quintin are very big backers of the sport and may be known to some here who participate in the events...

[Edited on 12-28-2010 by BajaGringo]
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:31 AM

It was an unfortunate accident that could have been avoided....kudos to Kent and Jeremy for their heroic actions.

The racing community as a whole spends a fortune in Baja every year. From hotels to restaurants to tiendas to taco stands there is a lot of money being pumped into the economy, and the business owners appreciate it. Even when racers are not participating in SCORE or CODE events, they are still coming down to ride and have fun in Baja.

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Frankly from your original statement I don't think you know much about the racing and it's affect on the economy. Why don't you ask the local business what affect it has. Better yet go to San Felipe and ask them what happened when the 250 race was moved from there to Ensenada a couple of years ago. I agree some ranchers don't like it but the ones where it crosses their land sure seem to like the money it brings.

To state that more like 80% of the crowd is unemployed is taking it a bit far. Granted the kids may not be employed and many of the moms may not be employed outside the home.

I should add that the ranchers probably don't like the pre-running most of all and they don't mind race day, it's just one day.

I don't think you know much about racing and its effect on the economy either but in the opposite direction. Your paradigm is that racing is somehow bringing big $'s into Baja and I flat out disagree based on what I have seen.

For example a large chunk of racers take all their equipment, tools, racing vehicles, support gear, living quarters down with them in toy haulers and park at camp grounds and pay nominal fees to overnight. I saw this first hand at Estero Beach Resort. Virtually all of them stay in the campground at $35/nite...not the $ 100/nite at the hotel. They then bring down all their food...I saw "chow lines" at specific toy haulers just for this purpose at meal times. This avoids going to the restaurants for meals. They have their own mechanics with their own tools working on their own vehicles inside the campground out of sight of local Mexicans. So other than a few Coronas, tacos, and some gas what is all the money being spent on? Local Mexicans aren't spending money...they don't have any for other than survival. And for the Gringos winning the Baja 1000 what is the reward ? A racer told me...BRAGGING RIGHTS..that's all.

I work in the electric utility industry and I have had involvement with CFE and economic development in Baja both highs and lows. We're talking in the 100's of millions of US dollars here (the LNG terminal alone above Ensenada is what over a billion dollar investment in Baja) and racing is by comparison pennys and maybe a nickel...doesn't even blip on the economic radar screen.
ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-28-2010 at 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
ElFaro SCORE only runs the full length to La Paz or Cabo every 2 or 3 years. The reason is the cost for the racers is much more expensive to go the distance. Pits, chasers, spare parts etc. A Baja 1000 in loop form is little more than a Baja 500 race, an extra 150 miles maybe over much of the same course. It's much easier and cost much less. You really need to do a little history study on Baja racing. The SCORE race Sal was talking about is in place of the Primm race in NV not Baja. The Ensenada part is for the start of the race. Ensenada doesn't want Mexicali to get it like they did in 93 and 94.

Hey TW...your talking to the wrong guy here...tell this to Gnukid...I guess the Baja Sur crowd will have to keep their "enthusiasm" up for 2-3 years until the Baja 1000 comes 'round their way. But then maybe they know it won't be back for 2-3 years....but it didn't sound like that the way Gnukid put it!
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.