Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Bringing frozen fish/lobsters back to US
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 09:16 AM
Bringing frozen fish/lobsters back to US

What's the deal on bringing back frozen sea food to the US? I want to bring back scallops, lobster and fish fillets.

Thanks,

Iflyfish
Sherman

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 09:41 AM

Have detailed receipts for the purchase.
Be sure it's legal to possess the particular species in CA.
If you caught them, a Mexican fishing license and a CA F&G import declaration filled out.
You can't legally catch shellfish (shrimp, scallop, lobster) in Mexico on a sport license, so that would have to be fish only on the Mexican fishing license.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 09:46 AM

you must buy lobsters from the cooperativas and they give you an official receipt to show inspectors to prove you bought them legally...see ya in a bit...ya might want to bring some of those delicious oysters that they sell at La Bocana coop...yum yum!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Sherman

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
you must buy lobsters from the cooperativas and they give you an official receipt to show inspectors to prove you bought them legally...see ya in a bit...ya might want to bring some of those delicious oysters that they sell at La Bocana coop...yum yum!!!

What's the going rate for lobsters direct from the co-op?
krafty
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 12:05 PM

Where is the co ops in NB?
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish
What's the deal on bringing back frozen sea food to the US? I want to bring back scallops, lobster and fish fillets.

Thanks,

Iflyfish

Did you know that my lobster and scallop recipes are even better than my ribs ? :yes:
When ya coming over ?? :biggrin:

We typically fill our camper freezer with shrimp and whatever fish we have caught on the trip. There is a place in GN that sells frozen shrimp in rectangular blocks that fit perfectly into our freezer. The inspectors at Tecate' have seen it on our return and never had a problem. We've had as much as 5 kilos of grande shrimp !
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-10-2011 at 08:10 PM

don't give it a thought. every time we come home we bring "goodies" and every military checkpoint ALWAYS opens our coolers, even when they are taped shut. we don't tape them anymore.

guess what? never even a second glance. i guess if you are the lucky 1 in a million gringo that SOMEHOW gets nabbed by "whomever" it might be sketchy.

but i don't think it's ever been an issue. vacuum sealers are the way to go. your loot will stay fresh for 2-3 years.

edit: the u.s. inspectors just get jealous.

[Edited on 1-11-2011 by woody with a view]

Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 04:56 AM

Thanks all, now know how to deal with it. Life is good in the slow lane.

Iflyfish
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 07:30 AM

i believe the coop price is around 200 pesos a kilo which works out to around 150 pesos a lobster...muy caro but good for the coop and fishermen.

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 01:14 PM

lobsters lobsters lobsters galore in la bocana right now ..... a full dinner at Joaquin's Cactus restaurant will cost you 200 pesos mexicanos for lobster and fish and scallops and salad and .......yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

all you can eat :)

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaBlanca
lobsters lobsters lobsters galore in la bocana right now ..... a full dinner at Joaquin's Cactus restaurant will cost you 200 pesos mexicanos for lobster and fish and scallops and salad and .......yummmmmmmmmmmmmm

all you can eat :)

save me a spot!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 01:36 PM

Blanca or Shari

regarding scallops, Bia is from Peru and they like scallops with the roe/egg sack still attached. is it possible to meet the scallop dudes and put in an order so that while they are cleaning the scallops they would save us all the ones with the roe/egg sack. every time we've tried to get them like this the middlemen say it's not possible. i say BS.

just a thought since scallops were brought up.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 02:17 PM

hmmmm...sounds kinda kinky Woodman...but i can relate...I'm an egg lover myself...I hope Bia will try yellowtail hearts!!! I think youd have to appeal to the scallop fisherman himself for such a...ummm...unique request.

on another note...I am fully enjoying my winnings you sent down with Perry...like apples...one a day! gracias amigo

Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
on another note...I am fully enjoying my winnings you sent down with Perry...like apples...one a day! gracias amigo

Hey, I know, I know - I still owe you a case of IPA thanks to Crosby. With interest it's probably close to two. Maybe this spring.:yes:
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 02:38 PM

Had them done that way with a French chef on a beach in Baja many years ago. He said it was not legal to serve them that way in Calif. You have to know why I remember so vividly.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-11-2011 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
hmmmm...sounds kinda kinky Woodman...but i can relate...I'm an egg lover myself...I hope Bia will try yellowtail hearts!!! I think youd have to appeal to the scallop fisherman himself for such a...ummm...unique request.

you know how the song goes, "i've tried everything, in my life! the things i've liked, i tried 'em twice!! you got that right!!!!"

yellowtail hearts sounds like a winner.

you're welcome!

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.