Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Boats
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 12:57 PM
Boats

What do you think of this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-Lund-alaskan-18-5-twin-4-s...

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 01:08 PM

Pompano will give you 2 thumbs up.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 02:26 PM

I have a 14' Lund with similar hull style. They are nice boats and will be easy to launch. They will, of course, be less seaworthy than a larger or heavier boat with a deeper vee.

The issue I see is the 2-40hp motors; more gas and more maintenece, etc.
I would rather see a single 40hp with a 9.9hp kicker on that boat.
Twin engines on a boat that small is not common.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 04:11 PM

can you take one of the motors and sell it? get yourself a bimini and a kicker and get on the water? or is this hull designed for two motors?

BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2011 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
can you take one of the motors and sell it? get yourself a bimini and a kicker and get on the water? or is this hull designed for two motors?

It ain't that easy. If you took one off, you'd have to move the other to the middle, when you do that, then the shaft/housing is too short. You'll have to get a longer housing, shaft, shift rod, etc, which would probably negate any dollars made from selling the other motor. Besides, it's an 18' boat, seems to me a single 25 would be a bit weak.

Twins are the ultimate in safety in Baja waters IMO.

Your mileage may vary....
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 04:58 AM

Twins are an excellent safety feature, but might make the boat a little tail heavy. Sell both motors, buy a clean 40-60hp 4 stroke, add a bimini or light t-top, and think about a kicker motor. Or use it the way it is, see how it works, and then decide if changes are needed. Maintainence could add up with 2 motors as well.

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 05:33 AM

I thought overnight on this and I'm sorry to say I just don't care for this boat. It's a mid size baja boat that doesn't appear to have a very high freeboard (sides), I don't care for the side console, two motors are fine but on a larger boat, and I believe that a BayRunner is built better for this size boat. You will definitely beat a boat up down here so I would hold off for a boat built for baja. There is something that isn't quite right about the trailer too. The bow is lower than the crouch of the trailer tongue. I haven't seen that set up before. And it appears that it just barely fits. Usually I see about 2' or more of tongue past the bow support. Those are just my feelings. I haven't seen the boat so all these thoughts are just intuition.

Edit: This is a BloodyDecks post on the Bay Runner. This is a nice aluminum boat! http://www.bloodydecks.com/forums/boating-discussion/238714-...

[Edited on 1-16-2011 by Russ]

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Lobsterman
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 05:58 AM

Buy an 16'-19' Bayrunner instead for many of the same reasons mentioned above with higher freeboard being a must. You never know when the winds will kick up. Plus Bayrunners have a better name recognition thus a higher resale value.
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
. And it appears that it just barely fits. Usually I see about 2' or more of tongue past the bow support.
Looks to me like what you're seeing is a folding tongue. You can enlarge the pic by holding the control key and using the scroll wheel on your mouse, or control+/- keys

The rest of your thoughts are, as usual, on the money.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 07:43 AM

Not my choice for Baja. The Lund Alaskan model, while a great lodge or small lake boat, is one of Lund's lower end offerings. There are many more Lunds out there which are better fishing boats. I personally would not use a side console..or any console for that matter.

Actually, Lunds hold thier value quite well compared to Bayrunners. Buy it south, sell it north anywhere in lake country and you will pay for your trip to some walleye fiishing. Walleyes...A bonus already!

Photos of 'boats for fishermen'

Consoles are for sissies and lily pond guys, serious fishermen run tillers. :rolleyes:

p.s. Igor, got my back covered?? I may need help!

[Edited on 1-16-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 07:54 AM

Pomp,,,,, Walleyes :biggrin: ...talk about a sissy fish
Aren't they a fresh water lingcod that never grew up?

bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 08:09 AM

Quote:
:light::?::lol::lol::lol:

Keep your eyes on the road, and your hands upon the wheel!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 08:10 AM

Quote:

Russ..Russ..Russ. I can hardly expect a sand-blasted Pta Chivato-ite to appreciate a truly fine dinner table fish like the succulent walleye. :rolleyes:

Until you experienced the Far North and had a shore island lunch of walleyes..you have not lived at all.

Yummmm....oh, be still my stomach....ahhh. Pass me the lemon wedges, por favor.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 08:44 AM

have to agree - we have walleye on the menu here at lake havascrew, fresh frozen of course - it is mightily delicious!
also can't beat great lakes perch like they serve at Phil Schmidt's in Chicago!

i don't know why the local restaurants here don't offer striped bass??

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 08:48 AM

0 wind and the sand haze has cleared enough for some memories of north central Wash fishing those lazy fish. The camps we had I think enhanced the taste but I'll take Chivatos bottom fishing for thrills and taste. And the possibility of something really exciting to come along and tear into you (besides the wind). Oh, and the camp sites are warm & dry here too.

[Edited on 1-16-2011 by Russ]

Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 10:44 AM

Didn't take long to go from Lund to walleye. I am a fan of both though I agree the 18' Alaskan is probably not the best fit for Baja. Not sure why anyone would put twin 25's on a boat like that. We run twins sometimes on work boats that are used in the forebay of Columbia River hydro dams for safety reasons but they are a pain and inefficient. A single 60 with a 8 hp kicker is the way to go. The newer 4stokes just don't break down.
acadist
Super Nomad

Mood: Waiting for the Sun

[*] posted on 1-16-2011 at 12:25 PM

Thanks everyone....I knew I could count on good insight and opinions on this board. I have not yet decided if I am going to buy soon but I always like looking and dreaming, that way when I do find the right boat at the right time I will know it

Dave
I moved to CO and they made me buy a little rod to make it feel like a real fish

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.