Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Guadalupe Magdalena Loop
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 05:26 PM
Guadalupe Magdalena Loop

Guadalupe Magdalena Loop

It’s just less than 100 miles from Mulege to Mulege just over 5 hr’s on a M/C . Mostly a mix of sandy and rocky 2 track with wider graded road close to Mex 1 . It is signed real well and still pretty much follows Backroad Baja Road log –so directions aren’t a problem. Great ride a lot like beings on a western Colorado. Mt. road. They are doing a lot of work on the road grading and bridges, also paving a lot of the road in the mountains. The paved road is barely 8 ft. wide in the really steep and narrow sections—seems strange to me. Great ride for a Colorado biker on Jan.25th

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:39 PM

ArvadaGeorge, Thanks for the pictures. An easy day trip.:bounce:
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 06:43 PM

Awesome George!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge

What were these containers in the road for?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 01:52 AM

McFez,
That canyon road goes down to a rocky riverbed that really must be something to see when the heavy rains hit that road:o. That roadwork is building cement sections that are either just a cement coat several inches thick over the dirt/gravel roadbed, or, in some areas is a road surface of flat rock cemented like flagstone. The barrels are likely to store water as they mix cement by hand on the ground.

Don't believe everything you think....
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 01:54 AM

AG,
Don't you just love that ride?!:bounce:

ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
Quote:
Originally posted by ArvadaGeorge

What were these containers in the road for?

The blue buckets held the water & gravel was right next to them.. If you look in the center of the photo there is a cement mixer .
elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 12:38 PM

Thanks for the posting and great pix. We'll give it a shot by jeep next week!
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2011 at 10:16 AM
1 more photo

road work
ArvadaGeorge
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2011 at 11:53 AM
2nd try

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 06:59 AM

Oh wow!

They were not expecting traffic looks like!

Thanks for that great shot.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 12:24 PM
MAPS 2007 & 1962

In 1962, you had to hike in to Guadalupe on the El Camino Real... no auto roads...

[Edited on 1-30-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 02:08 PM
Wet Cement

On Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011, 3 jeeps and a 4wd pickup turned onto the Icehouse Road on the north side of Mulegé at 09:01. Our goal was to drive the loop that goes west to the turnoff for Rancho Estanislao, then north through Guadaloupe, northeast through the pass, east through San Jose de Magdalena to Highway 1, returning to Mulegé. A recent report by a motorcycle rider on the Baja Nomad website gave us confidence to make this trip.
First stop, though, was to buy some citrus fruit at the orange grove west of Mulegé. Our vehicle had already aired down a few pounds because we knew there was heavy washboard just getting that far. Fruit in hand, we carried on. Our vehicle deferred the lead to another, because I always get lost finding the main road. Turns out I’m not alone, because we followed the wide, well-traveled road into the huertas, only to turn around and search for the turn (to the right) that we missed. By now we have delayed our travel time by 20 minutes, but we have all day.
Soon we pick up speed and whiz into the valley with its lovely scenery with clear, clean air that makes the mountains look so close. The serpentine road along the cliffs is such a treat. But then, the rock dam we used to take a break by has vanished. Hurricane Jimena has caused the current road to go around the track we used to take, leaving the small paved bridge we would have driven over to be isolated in a washout. No sense stopping here. Kilometers 34-37 with the 3 rough climbs were soon behind us and we zigzagged along the canyons skirting ranchos. We turned north onto the road towards Estanislao at 10:48. Over the hills and down along and through the arroyo we go. We were feeling good that we made it farther than last year in such good time, when we made an unplanned stop. One of our drivers was experiencing stomach problems. Well, it’s 11:28 and we might as well have lunch while deciding what to do. The lead vehicle finally returned after feeling lonely, suspecting a vehicle breakdown, not a human one. We travel in a group for safety, no question about it. It’s just part of life that some things are not meant to happen on some days. And when it comes to health, those first 2 hours are very important. So, after a bit of lunch, we got ready to retreat. Lo and behold, our poorly driver is cracking jokes and we’re ready to push on.
The road is better than last year. We aren’t even sure that there was a road past Guadaloupe last year. On that trip, a DHL truck had passed us and returned without a clue as to passage beyond the nearby ranchos he had delivered to. Rain in the mountains made us turn back anyway. But that was last year and a couple gringos just stopped to tell us they had come through the pass from San Jose de Magdalena, camping up in the mountains last night.
Because we didn’t want to take extra time, we skipped hunting for the ruins of the Guadaloupe mission, took the road to the right at La Presa and headed into the mountains. So nice to be out of the arroyo and so happy to view these picturesque rocky structures. Wow! What a great scene! Whoa! Why are we stopping? There’s a pickup parked in the road and our lead driver has stopped next to it. Oh, it’s the road construction we heard about. Lots of things can hold you up when taking the back roads, but we were in for a new one -- wet cement. A nice long section, about 25 feet in length, running the full width of what roadway there was, hacked from the cliff on one side, drop-off on the other, had just been laid. The work crew was taking their lunch break and the lead driver and I walked down to see what our chances were for getting through. After turning down the offer of gorditas, the foreman answered our plea with, “Please. Give me two hours.” Well, at least that meant we might get through today, but it was already after 2pm. Turning back was an option, but no one really wanted to do that; it had taken us a fair chunk of time to get this far (5 hours, but only 2.5 hours full-on driving in reality). Figuring it would be about 1.5 hours from here to Highway 1 via S. J. de Magdalena, we decided to kick back and enjoy this hiccup in our plans. Out come the chairs, books, cameras,... What, no playing cards?
Unexpectedly, we get a shout at 2:40pm that we can come through. Everything was slung into the vehicles and off we went trying to be careful driving over the fresh cement. We handed out candy and fruit to the crew, who were very happy to receive it. These guys live up here while working on the road, so fresh food is very welcome.
A 2wd car was in front of us. The driver swerved around every 3 inch high rock, but floored it when he hit the dusty patches of road. We followed his slolum for miles as we wound our way out of the canyon. He opened each ranch gate for us, but we were responsible for closing them. Eventually, the 2wd car stopped at a ranch and we scooted onward. The pretty part of the trip was over as the land flattened out ahead. We were in the mood to get to Magdelena, Highway 1 and Mulegé. We made a brief stop (less than 10 minutes) in Magdelena and were back to the highway by 4:14. We had accomplished our mission and have stories to tell.
As for others who may want to try this road, my partner and I rated it a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty. This was because we drove a jeep and used 4wd for most of it with tires at about 25psi. We would definitely recommend 4wd for both the uphills and steep downhills. According to my GPS, the maximum slope was approximately 15% up, 21% down; max. elevation was 2653 feet. The distance was about 65 miles (if you don’t make any wrong turns) from highway to highway. Full-on driving time (in a group) was about 4 hours (we took about 7 hours all toll), but you will want to take plenty of breaks to enjoy this area. As it turns out, we could have stopped at the Guadaloupe ruins. Oh well, next year.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 02:18 PM

elfbrewery, Thanks for the report.;D
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 02:58 PM

Elf,
Glad you folks did that loop and enjoyed it. I have done it several times over past ten years and disagree with one comment you made. I do not think 4-wheel drive is needed for any of the trip unless shortly after hurricane damage. The locals do it in 2-wheel drive vehicles all the time rather well.

I say this only to not discourage folks who don't have a 4X4 from doing the loop and seeing some spectacular country. :saint:

elfbrewery
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 03:05 PM

motoged,
I don't doubt you for a moment, that's why I said "recommend." I didn't want people to think just anyone could do this with their "primary" car without due caution. Thanks for your thoughts.
motoged
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 03:33 PM

Elf,
Actually, I would recommend a person do it by dirtbike, on their pegs, in 4th gear:biggrin: ....with one hand free taking pics :biggrin:

All joking aside...a full day is what is need as there are so many places to stop and snoop around....horses, cattle, donkeys, and goats along the road, fig tree roots climbing up canyon walls, flotsam 20 feet up on some trees where the hurricane floods have left debris, a look around the gardens in Magdalena (that beautiful bougainvillea on the west end of town as you turn a corner), the egrets in the stream running through town, the cemetery....

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:42 PM

I love detailed trip reports... thank you...

I hope you don't mind that I put in many double spacings to make it easier to read (at least for me)!

Quote:
Originally posted by elfbrewery

On Tuesday, Feb. 1, 2011, 3 jeeps and a 4wd pickup turned onto the Icehouse Road on the north side of Mulegé at 09:01.

Our goal was to drive the loop that goes west to the turnoff for Rancho Estanislao, then north through Guadaloupe, northeast through the pass, east through San Jose de Magdalena to Highway 1, returning to Mulegé.

A recent report by a motorcycle rider on the Baja Nomad website gave us confidence to make this trip.

First stop, though, was to buy some citrus fruit at the orange grove west of Mulegé. Our vehicle had already aired down a few pounds because we knew there was heavy washboard just getting that far. Fruit in hand, we carried on. Our vehicle deferred the lead to another, because I always get lost finding the main road.

Turns out I’m not alone, because we followed the wide, well-traveled road into the huertas, only to turn around and search for the turn (to the right) that we missed. By now we have delayed our travel time by 20 minutes, but we have all day.

Soon we pick up speed and whiz into the valley with its lovely scenery with clear, clean air that makes the mountains look so close. The serpentine road along the cliffs is such a treat. But then, the rock dam we used to take a break by has vanished.

Hurricane Jimena has caused the current road to go around the track we used to take, leaving the small paved bridge we would have driven over to be isolated in a washout.

No sense stopping here. Kilometers 34-37 with the 3 rough climbs were soon behind us and we zigzagged along the canyons skirting ranchos. We turned north onto the road towards Estanislao at 10:48.

Over the hills and down along and through the arroyo we go. We were feeling good that we made it farther than last year in such good time, when we made an unplanned stop. One of our drivers was experiencing stomach problems. Well, it’s 11:28 and we might as well have lunch while deciding what to do.

The lead vehicle finally returned after feeling lonely, suspecting a vehicle breakdown, not a human one. We travel in a group for safety, no question about it. It’s just part of life that some things are not meant to happen on some days. And when it comes to health, those first 2 hours are very important. So, after a bit of lunch, we got ready to retreat. Lo and behold, our poorly driver is cracking jokes and we’re ready to push on.

The road is better than last year. We aren’t even sure that there was a road past Guadaloupe last year. On that trip, a DHL truck had passed us and returned without a clue as to passage beyond the nearby ranchos he had delivered to.

Rain in the mountains made us turn back anyway. But that was last year and a couple gringos just stopped to tell us they had come through the pass from San Jose de Magdalena, camping up in the mountains last night.

Because we didn’t want to take extra time, we skipped hunting for the ruins of the Guadaloupe mission, took the road to the right at La Presa and headed into the mountains. So nice to be out of the arroyo and so happy to view these picturesque rocky structures.

Wow! What a great scene! Whoa! Why are we stopping? There’s a pickup parked in the road and our lead driver has stopped next to it. Oh, it’s the road construction we heard about. Lots of things can hold you up when taking the back roads, but we were in for a new one -- wet cement. A nice long section, about 25 feet in length, running the full width of what roadway there was, hacked from the cliff on one side, drop-off on the other, had just been laid.

The work crew was taking their lunch break and the lead driver and I walked down to see what our chances were for getting through. After turning down the offer of gorditas, the foreman answered our plea with, “Please. Give me two hours.”

Well, at least that meant we might get through today, but it was already after 2pm. Turning back was an option, but no one really wanted to do that; it had taken us a fair chunk of time to get this far (5 hours, but only 2.5 hours full-on driving in reality).

Figuring it would be about 1.5 hours from here to Highway 1 via S. J. de Magdalena, we decided to kick back and enjoy this hiccup in our plans. Out come the chairs, books, cameras,... What, no playing cards?

Unexpectedly, we get a shout at 2:40pm that we can come through. Everything was slung into the vehicles and off we went trying to be careful driving over the fresh cement. We handed out candy and fruit to the crew, who were very happy to receive it. These guys live up here while working on the road, so fresh food is very welcome.

A 2wd car was in front of us. The driver swerved around every 3 inch high rock, but floored it when he hit the dusty patches of road. We followed his slolum for miles as we wound our way out of the canyon. He opened each ranch gate for us, but we were responsible for closing them.

Eventually, the 2wd car stopped at a ranch and we scooted onward. The pretty part of the trip was over as the land flattened out ahead. We were in the mood to get to Magdelena, Highway 1 and Mulegé. We made a brief stop (less than 10 minutes) in Magdelena and were back to the highway by 4:14. We had accomplished our mission and have stories to tell.

As for others who may want to try this road, my partner and I rated it a 6 on a scale of 1 to 10 in difficulty. This was because we drove a jeep and used 4wd for most of it with tires at about 25psi. We would definitely recommend 4wd for both the uphills and steep downhills.

According to my GPS, the maximum slope was approximately 15% up, 21% down; max. elevation was 2653 feet. The distance was about 65 miles (if you don’t make any wrong turns) from highway to highway. Full-on driving time (in a group) was about 4 hours (we took about 7 hours all toll), but you will want to take plenty of breaks to enjoy this area.

As it turns out, we could have stopped at the Guadaloupe ruins. Oh well, next year.

[Edited on 2-4-2011 by David K]

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 2-2-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:

Actually, I would recommend a person do it by dirtbike, on their pegs, in 4th gear:biggrin:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2011 at 11:25 AM

Excellent pictures George. Great report Elf. I gotta do the loop someday. If you have a chance take the route thru San Juan de la Pila. That's beautiful country just like above.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.