BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: To Cabo and back in 17' Casita trailer
DavidThompson20

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 10:23 PM
To Cabo and back in 17' Casita trailer

In April, 2010, I returned from a trip to Cabo San Lucas in a 17' Casita trailer. I stopped to kayak at four places: Loreto Bay, Ojo de Liebre Lagoon, Cabo Pulmo, and Cabo. Drove all the way from Wisconsin. Read a complete journal, with photos, here: www.bajajournal.blogspot.com .
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-25-2011 at 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DavidThompson20
In April, 2010, I returned from a trip to Cabo San Lucas in a 17' Casita trailer. I stopped to kayak at four places: Loreto Bay, Ojo de Liebre Lagoon, Cabo Pulmo, and Cabo. Drove all the way from Wisconsin. Read a complete journal, with photos, here: www.bajajournal.blogspot.com .

I will have a look at it tomorrow, very cool of you to join Nomad and share! Welcome!!

If you add http:// to the front of a web address it will make it a hyper link: http://www.bajajournal.blogspot.com

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

karenintx
Senior Nomad

Mood: Living The Dream

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 02:29 PM

Great report David...enjoyed reading.

Really liked seeing the photo of people eating "tacos al pastore"at our favorite taco stands in CSL. You know it's good when you are standing in line with taxi drivers. Plus it lets all the naysayers here know there are good inexpensive places to eat just like the rest of the baja.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 02:51 PM

Welcome David---I have not read your entire report yet, but I will.

At first I just skimmed the pictures---really nice ones, but I was surprised to only see your Casita in a couple of pictures. When we traveled Baja and the Mexico Mainland with our 17' Casita, it seems like it ended up in MANY, way too many pix.

I really miss that trailer! Besides Mexico, we took it from California back to Prince Edward Island---just great eggs, they are!

Just of couple of our Casita in Baja a few years back. Which model do you have?

Now going to go back and read your words and enjoy your photos again.

Diana

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT

Diana

This a igloo you are towing?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez

This a igloo you are towing?

:lol::lol: Most often referred to as Eggs and everywhere you take one, people want to see it. One man we met called it a plastic Airstream. And most people are surprised to find it totally self-contained.

David, I read your blog and really enjoyed it and your perspective on many things. Well done and thanks for sharing it.

Diana

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 1-26-2011 at 08:43 PM

i dream about owning one of them "blanquillos" someday!

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 09:31 PM

DianaT you have a shower and pooper in that too?

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-27-2011 at 09:37 PM

http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/features.html

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2011 at 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
http://www.casitatraveltrailers.com/features.html

Txs Woody 4 that great link.

Wow....Like Dr Who.....The interior of a TARDIS is much larger than its exterior and this camper seems to be the same!

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 09:20 AM

"i dream about owning one of them "blanquillos" someday!"

ditto. I've known about them for many years; they're getting expensive now. About 15 years ago, they were about $6000 new, but you had to pick them up somewhere in Texas.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 09:25 AM

it's just that your $ are worth less nowdays.... gotta get used to that one!

Brian L
Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 09:46 AM

So far, good reading, thanks!

Brian
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2011 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mcfez
DianaT you have a shower and pooper in that too?

Yes and a queen size bed that we left set up all the time, a small table with two captain chairs, an air-conditioner, heater, stove with oven, two holding tanks, and yes a full bathroom all inside that 17' Egg.

We seldom pulled into an RV park, but when we did, it was interesting to see it next to one giant Moho. Everywhere we went, people wanted to see the inside which is how Casita's are sold.

I don't think this has changed----the company did very little advertising, never went to RV shows, and did not have any dealers. When someone outside of Texas was interested in seeing one, they had a list of owners who would show their Casita to potential buyers.

And yes, unless you paid an expensive delivery charge, you had to drive to Texas to pick it up, AND there used to be a 4 to 6 month wait.

They seem expensive, but they really held their value. We had ours for close to two years and put lots of miles on it. We took it down Baja, down to Patzcauro on the mainland, across the US back to Prince Edward Island, and many, many short trips.

We sold it for darn close to what we paid for it, and sold it quickly because it was in California.

I do miss it, but we went on to different things. Getting time to make another change, again!

Diana

BobM

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 10:27 AM

Your trip log is almost identical to ours last year, but we only went as far as Loreto, will be back next year as it is a long drive from norhtern Canada. Thanks for the pics they rekindled fond memories
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-31-2011 at 10:59 AM

It is quite a full trip report... Could be a small book! Great photos... The blog begins at the bottom, so scroll down and go to the first page to read it in order...

Thanks for sharing David... Interesting how you compare some of what you saw on your first trip to Baja in 1961 to this trip, so many years later.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.